Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina TD in next goverment - Michelle Mulherin

Options
  • 29-11-2010 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Paddy Power Odds are that next Government will be FG/LB (no surprise).

Do you think that Ballina and its environs would be best service with a TD who is part of government and not part of opposition?

She was the only candidate who actually canvassed in Person for last G. Election and for council. (speaking for personal experience)

Dara Calleary has done a good job since he was elected, but that fact is in Irish Politics which is very parochial that you need a local TD in government to press for change and action in your area.

I don't think Labour will make much a show in Mayo, so its really only FG, and of all the candidates Michelle represents the best option. Otherwise Ballina will be relegated

Which TD would be best placed to represent Ballina in Next Dail 50 votes

Michelle Mulherin
    0% 0 votes
    Dara Calleary
    72% 36 votes
    Other
    28% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

alex73 wrote: »

Do you think that Ballina and its environs would be best service with a TD who is part of government and not part of opposition?

She was the only candidate who actually canvassed in Person for last G. Election and for council. (speaking for personal experience)

Data Calleary has done a good job since he was elected, but that face is in Irish Politics which is very parochial that you need a local TD in government to press for change and action in your area.

I don't think Labour will make much a show in Mayo, so its really only FG, and of all the candidates Michelle represents the best option. Otherwise Ballina will be relegated

Is this the first canvass on the Mayo section of boards? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Data Calleary has done a good job since he was elected, but that face is in Irish Politics which is very parochial that you need a local TD in government to press for change and action in your area.

Incorrect, Dara Calleary did a large part of his canvass personally even in the country areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

finisklin wrote: »
    Is this the first canvass on the Mayo section of boards? :rolleyes:

No, just someone who wants to see Ballina on the Map in the next Dail. (and not sitting on the opposition benches)
    Incorrect, Dara Calleary did a large part of his canvass personally even in the country areas.

I am sure he did, just not the estate where I live, we got 2 FF guys canvassing for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

Both Candidates would be good for ballina. In the 2007 Election a large number of People voted Dara 1st and Michelle 2nd. There were also transfers from Michelle to Dara.

So unless FG mess things up, its really a given that she will be elected.

But I agree its essential that Ballina gets a local TD in the Dail, Michelle is young and well able to put Ballina on the Map.

O'Mahony & Ring lack real drive in Polictics, I think given a chance Mulherin would be a great TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

No, just someone who wants to see Ballina on the Map in the next Dail. (and not sitting on the opposition benches)

I am sure he did, just not the estate where I live, we got 2 FF guys canvassing for him.
    Ballina has Dara, has he not delivered? I seen him canvas in a public house in Belmullet before the last election. He appoached customers and smiled at them, it must have worked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

hsi wrote: »
    Both Candidates would be good for ballina. In the 2007 Election a large number of People voted Dara 1st and Michelle 2nd. There were also transfers from Michelle to Dara.

So unless FG mess things up, its really a given that she will be elected.

But I agree its essential that Ballina gets a local TD in the Dail, Michelle is young and well able to put Ballina on the Map.

O'Mahony & Ring lack real drive in Polictics, I think given a chance Mulherin would be a great TD.
    Kenny has hardly set Mayo on fire, maybe he should step down and let some one with a bit of gumtion have a go. I think Michelle will walk it

Ballina has Dara, has he not delivered? I seen him canvas in a public house in Belmullet before the last election. He appoached customers and smiled at them, it must have worked

That was 2007 when FF still have some appeal to electorate. In 2011 odds are FF will not be in power, So given the choice of a TD in opposition or one in government my vote is with Mulherin for TD.

I am not alone, I know many who voted for Calleary in 2007 are voting Mulherin next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

None of you are old enough to remember when Ballina had 2 TDs- 1 of the was Dara Calleary's father, Sean, who was a Minister. The other was Paddy O'Toole. Both of them did shag-all for Ballina. I don't think Dara will be re-elected. He was parachuted in for the last election. Hard to know how the good Dr will do in his Labour outfit.:) My prediction would be Kenny, Ring, Mulherin and 1 from Calleary/Cowley/Flynn/O'Mahony A distinct possibility that there could be 4 FG TDs from Mayo next time.

None of you are old enough to remember when Ballina had 2 TDs- 1 of the was Dara Calleary's father, Sean, who was a Minister. The other was Paddy O'Toole. Both of them did shag-all for Ballina. I don't think Dara will be re-elected. He was parachuted in for the last election. Hard to know how the good Dr will do in his Labour outfit.:) My prediction would be Kenny, Ring, Mulherin and 1 from Calleary/Cowley/Flynn/O'Mahony A distinct possibility that there could be 4 FG TDs from Mayo next time.

Parachuted in for the last election? You base that on what? The years he spent on the FF National Executive? Him going before a convention to get a nomination for the County Council in 2004? Him going before convention for selection as a Dail candidate and winning it in a vote? Thats being parachuted?

I agree, he was elected on the FF+My-father-was-a-TD ticket. (I thought it was his grandfather who was the TD). The Guys actually has been a good TD. But I want someone from the winning team as a TD for Ballina next year.

• Advertisement

Ballina had two TD's on other occasions as well, and in the 40's and 50's there was a TD in Ballina and one in Crossmolina. Its mathematically possible to do the same again.

Parachuted in for the last election? You base that on what? The years he spent on the FF National Executive? Him going before a convention to get a nomination for the County Council in 2004? Him going before convention for selection as a Dail candidate and winning it in a vote? Thats being parachuted?

Calleary won his Dail nomination by 8 votes where he pipped another political dynasty in Michael Moffatt through Annie May throwing her weight behind him in which turned out to be a contentious convention. If memory serves me there was controversy over eligibility of who could vote and who couldn't, with perhaps some parachuting in of voters whose eligibility was certainly questioned, IMO.:cool:

I have to refer to the Ray D'arcy (Today FM) school of political debate which questions these politcal dynasties and their qualifications in bettering their communities through attendance at funeral's to secure political office. Perhaps he is trying to get to a meaningful method of measuring politicians performance which is a very difficult challenge. Cynical yeah but there is truth in the fact that you only need to get more votes than the next candidate whatever your skillset.

The old Ballina chestnut of the IDA park which has been on the table for donkeys years is not going to see the light of day due to our European friends hands on fiscal restraint.

IMO opinion the key skill/ability is a hard nosed, resilient negotiator that has the gravitas in delivering results through a proven approach outside of politics. Unfortunately none of Mayo's politicians have this trait including Michelle and Dara.:(

These skills are vital in dealing with the real power brokers i.e. the civil servants and quango heads that distribute, manage the real resources through a rough shod approach that makes light work of any solicitors (Michelle) or development advisors (Dara) skill sets. The real power in Mayo is with the county manager and how he distributes his resources and perhaps Michelle may have a good relationship with him through her time on the county council which may serve her well. A terrier negotiator IMHO she ain't.

Good to see this debate liven up on boards......gonna be a strong run in.

Calleary won his Dail nomination by 8 votes where he pipped another political dynasty in Michael Moffatt through Annie May throwing her weight behind him in which turned out to be a contentious convention. If memory serves me there was controversy over eligibility of who could vote and who couldn't, with perhaps some parachuting in of voters whose eligibility was certainly questioned, IMO.:cool:

I have to refer to the Ray D'arcy (Today FM) school of political debate which questions these politcal dynasties and their qualifications in bettering their communities through attendance at funeral's to secure political office. Perhaps he is trying to get to a meaningful method of measuring politicians performance which is a very difficult challenge. Cynical yeah but there is truth in the fact that you only need to get more votes than the next candidate whatever your skillset.

The old Ballina chestnut of the IDA park which has been on the table for donkeys years is not going to see the light of day due to our European friends hands on fiscal restraint.

IMO opinion the key skill/ability is a hard nosed, resilient negotiator that has the gravitas in delivering results through a proven approach outside of politics. Unfortunately none of Mayo's politicians have this trait including Michelle and Dara.:(

These skills are vital in dealing with the real power brokers i.e. the civil servants and quango heads that distribute, manage the real resources through a rough shod approach that makes light work of any solicitors (Michelle) or development advisors (Dara) skill sets. The real power in Mayo is with the county manager and how he distributes his resources and perhaps Michelle may have a good relationship with him through her time on the county council which may serve her well. A terrier negotiator IMHO she ain't.

Good to see this debate liven up on boards......gonna be a strong run in.

He won in a tight vote certainly, and while the convention was contentious it was not because of the parachuting of voters, it was the exclusion of voters thanks to the reorganisation of the party which left stalwarts without votes for the first time in their lives. Parachuting OUT of voters possibly.

Dara Calleary has an excellent working relationship with the powers that be in Mayo County Council and certainly can be as effective as Michelle in that line. He is bright, articulate and while he is a third generation TD from the family I think he is one of the few worthy members of a political dynasty in this country, perhaps a case of leave the best til last :D

He won in a tight vote certainly, and while the convention was contentious it was not because of the parachuting of voters, it was the exclusion of voters thanks to the reorganisation of the party which left stalwarts without votes for the first time in their lives. Parachuting OUT of voters possibly.

Dara Calleary has an excellent working relationship with the powers that be in Mayo County Council and certainly can be as effective as Michelle in that line. He is bright, articulate and while he is a third generation TD from the family I think he is one of the few worthy members of a political dynasty in this country, perhaps a case of leave the best til last :D

Couldn't remember circumstances of convention but knew there was some kind of drama with it.......I don't doubt Dara's working relationship with Hynes (or formerly Mahon) but has he the muscle to push, pull and drag that relationship for the betterment of Ballina (as opposed to Westport, Castlebar). It's actually hard to gauge this with any politician as cutting through the PR smoke and media perception that TDs spin is difficult especially as the party in power ensure all their TDs go through the usual media training and public speaking etc.

Interesting times indeed.....:pac:

Couldn't remember circumstances of convention but knew there was some kind of drama with it.......I don't doubt Dara's working relationship with Hynes (or formerly Mahon) but has he the muscle to push, pull and drag that relationship for the betterment of Ballina (as opposed to Westport, Castlebar). It's actually hard to gauge this with any politician as cutting through the PR smoke and media perception that TDs spin is difficult especially as the party in power ensure all their TDs go through the usual media training and public speaking etc.

Interesting times indeed.....:pac:

Politics is all about smoke and perceptions. But at the end of the day certain connections do get things done. I move to mayo 10 years ago, and I was told much of the development in Castlebar was down to P.Flynn, right or wrong, empirical results count.

For sure having no TD from Ballina environs will not boost our chances and if we are going to vote for one, might aswell be one who will be party of ruling party.

I hear fg are running 5 candidates in mayo. Do they think they can get all seats

I hear fg are running 5 candidates in mayo. Do they think they can get all seats

Mathematically impossible to get 5, but its probably designed to maximise their vote to gte the 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I am not a member of any politcal party.

It is vital for Ballina to have a TD in government.

I think Dara Calleary has worked hard and done a decent job however FF are going to be out of power for a long time.

Michelle Mulhern is going to get my number 1 , I think she has lots of potential and hopefully can do the best for the area long term.

I am not a member of any politcal party.

It is vital for Ballina to have a TD in government.

I think Dara Calleary has worked hard and done a decent job however FF are going to be out of power for a long time.

Michelle Mulhern is going to get my number 1 , I think she has lots of potential and hopefully can do the best for the area long term.

So Daras reward for all the hard work he has done is going to be being turfed out? Interesting.

So Daras reward for all the hard work he has done is going to be being turfed out? Interesting.

I think if he looses it will be more a reflection on the party he is part of rather than his personal achievement's. I really don't think there will be much sympathy for FF.

• Advertisement

I think if he looses it will be more a reflection on the party he is part of rather than his personal achievement's. I really don't think there will be much sympathy for FF.

Regardless of his party the hard work he has done should be reflected by people when they go to the polls

Regardless of his party the hard work he has done should be reflected by people when they go to the polls

What about the promises......:rolleyes:......a lot done, more to do, maybe?:p

If he was an independent TD without a doubt, but part of FF carries a label, and I am not voting for them again.

If he was an independent TD without a doubt, but part of FF carries a label, and I am not voting for them again.

He is younger and more idealistic than the old vanguard of Fianna Fail, hes exactly what the party needs to survive to get itself away from the fools that have destroyed it and the country. He has proven he is hardworking and I am sure he can achieve as much in opposition as Michelle could as part of a governing party because of her lack of national experience.

Seems to be the general consensus.

He is younger and more idealistic than the old vanguard of Fianna Fail, hes exactly what the party needs to survive to get itself away from the fools that have destroyed it and the country. He has proven he is hardworking and I am sure he can achieve as much in opposition as Michelle could as part of a governing party because of her lack of national experience.

Then HE needs to come out and say as such. As things stand he is just a sheep following the pack. Not that FG work any different, but that facts are it was under FF watch that the country went down the swanny and now we have the IMF running the country.. So I am all for Dara rebuilding FF, but he has not spoken out. So NO I am not voting for Dara as its a vote for FF and they need to learn their lesson at the poll next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

:confused: don't know what you mean by interesting.

Lots of people in Ireland just like Dara have worked hard over the last few years, and now they are out of a job........... because of Fianna Fail

My choice would be both to get in and I will vote 1-2, whats so wrong about michelle getting a run at it, she seems perfectly capable to me.

Looking from the outside in, Calleary appears to have aligned himself with the Albert Reynolds old gang known as the country and western set, now led by Brian Cowen. The opposite side of this grouping is the Dublin set which is headed up by a diminished Brian Lenihan and Mary Hanafin.

Calleary has benefited from Cowen's country and western set as he's minister of state for labour affairs, and in his first outing in the Dail! Very difficult to strip the few successes he has (trying to think of them, :rolleyes:) with the manner in which FF have handled the overall handlin of the economy. Whatever about the events and mismanagement over the last month, its the Bertie years that did the real damage.

Interested to hear what posters think are the real issues for the people of North Mayo in this election? Given the tied purse strings, how can major infrastructural improvements be secured?

My top list of issues are as follows;
    • Improving the Strokestown to Ballaghderen road (Most important issue, IMO)
    • IDA park for Ballina
    • Supports for long term unemployed re training, lifestyle enhancement, productivity, time mangement etc as Ballina is an unemployement black spot this may become a bigger issue over time leading to anti social behavior, criminality etc.
    • Reverting to old traffic flow system in Ballina
    • Securing new industries for North Mayo to help employment
    • Getting the Ballina to Balla road plan back on track with the bypass of Foxford.
    • Improved corprate governance in MCC/Town councils e.g. the digging in of officials regarding the traffic system.
    • Support for planning for one off housing on their own land. The law was changed on this recently by John Gormley and I appreciate it is an issue within MCC and the councillors.
    Note that this is parochial and if Ballina/North Mayo returns a TD these are some of the issues that need addressing, IMO. Note that it is not exhaustive so please feel free to add to the issues and once Michelle gets elected we can measure her performance on her deliverance. :P

Go Shell, Go......:rolleyes:

Jobs Jobs Jobs... I think this is the essential #1 message that any candidate for Dail should note.

I moved here 10 years ago and even then there was considerable unemployment in Ballina, however at the same time there was lots of Jobs if people wanted them. (over a thousand polish imigrants did find employment). I know today things are tighter, but I think there are a lot of people long term unemployed who are nearly unemployable.

There has to be a move to get unemployed out to train and to work for the dole. I mean and I don't want to belittle anyone, but they could clear the paths of snow or tidy the town, work there is and 16 hours of service a week of dole payment should be motted. As things stand we have been paying dole to people who have not worked for years.

• Advertisement

[*]Reverting to old traffic flow system in Ballina

I would have to disagree on that one. I think the new one works well.

Tesco round about - Very Good
    New traffic lights bunaree-Sligo Rd -- Excellent long time coming

The whole one way around the cathedral.. hmm not great, but I can live with it, its clear.

I think all in all, given what Ballina is, the new system is miles better than the old.

Given what was there 10 years ago, well there is no comparison.

(sorry for going off topic)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement