Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina TD in next goverment - Michelle Mulherin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

finisklin wrote: »
    Michelle Mulhearn :rolleyes:

...won't be delivering much from up high in the back benches. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

...won't be delivering much from up high in the back benches. :rolleyes:

But probably a hell of a lot more from there than if she was on the benches on the right hand side of the Ceann Comhairle!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

......Ballina will need something big ........

Does she still not qualify, even from the back beneches? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

FG will have to have a balanced approach to its front bench. I would be very surprised if Michelle did not get a Junior Minister Position. (Well Dara did and he was also new to Dail)

hsi wrote: »
    FG will have to have a balanced approach to its front bench. I would be very surprised if Michelle did not get a Junior Minister Position. (Well Dara did and he was also new to Dail)

Yeah but no other FFers in mayo or the West were junior/senior ministers bar O'Cuiv.....Having said that Inda will be Taoiseach, Ring will also have a senior ministerial portfolio and I am not convinced if the geography will facilitate a junior minister from the same electoral area thus getting Mulhearn's leg in? Anyway, what about O'Mahony, he's a can do man? More able and a crowd pleaser with GAA heads.......;)

• Advertisement

Actually if MM got a Junior Minister position that would be a very unbalanced approach in national terms, given that Mayo already has Kenny and Ring (although a Junior Minister job would be more than enough for him - Minister of State for Funeral Attendance and the Road to Westport maybe :P).

If she gets in she will be very much the 4th FG TD in the county representing North Mayo, behind the existing West, Central and East Mayo reprsentatives for the party. No point anyone representing her coming on here trying to say otherwise. Although that's a better bet for Ballina people than the local alternative - 10 years plus on the opposition benches coming up for him if he holds his seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Interesting development on Dermot Flanagan seeking FF nomination. wonder how the Mayo GAA vote will go? But is there really the vote in Mayo for 2 FF TD's?

alex73 wrote: »
    Interesting development on Dermot Flanagan seeking FF nomination. wonder how the Mayo GAA vote will go? But is there really the vote in Mayo for 2 FF TD's?

Can't see them both getting in, but the idea being put out there that FF should only run one candidate is a crazy one. The only person that would suit is Calleary. However, if you only run Calleary you alienate the FF vote outside the north of the county, many of whom won't vote for him because he is seen as a Ballina TD rather than a Mayo one. Better to run someone in Castlebar (where Flanagan would base himself) and pick up the west and east mayo vote than just run Calleary and lose the votes. Many of these voters will otherwise either vote for another party or abstain so it makes sense to run another candidate.

There's likely only one TD for FF in Mayo, but I'd say they are nearly guaranteed the one. If Flanagan successfully managed to mop up the Castlebar Flynn vote in addition to the FF vote in the east of the county where he is originally from, he might actually get that one seat given that there may be a Ballina swing towards Mulherin and given that Calleary is not particularly popular around the county. On balance I'd expect Calleary to just about hold on though.

Heard Gerry Murray tipped last night on Radio 1 for a seat. I just can't see it happening. It would be a huge shift for Mayo to vote in a Sinn Fein TD. Flanagan's inclusion would throw things wide open though.

Looks like the election will be sooner than march! I see FG in ready, steady, go mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I think Ballina and district will split their vote Mulherin/Calleary and vice versa.

Over many elections I have seen Castlebar area boxes Moran / Kenny or Kenny /Flynn. Voting locally is becoming more prevalent than party ticket voting.

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    I think Ballina and district will split their vote Mulherin/Calleary and vice versa.

Over many elections I have seen Castlebar area boxes Moran / Kenny or Kenny /Flynn. Voting locally is becoming more prevalent than party ticket voting.

Indeed. It was local voting that saved Enda Kenny in 2002. Everyone including his own family had given up on the seat but he was spared at the expense of Jim Higgins by an unexpectedly high number of cross party transfers from Frank Chambers (FF - Newport) to Kenny (Islandeady) and squeezed home by about 80 votes. He had been trailing Higgins all day in the counts but ironically it was Fianna Fail first preference voters in the Newport/Islandeady area that saved him and ultimately led to the situation whereby two months from now he will most likely become Taoiseach.

Given that Mayo is the largest geographical constituency in the country it is understandable that here more than anywhere there is an unwillingness to vote for candidates in far away parts of the county. Arguably it is why Ballina has struggled for Dail representation since Mayo became one constituency - it is geographically remote from the other major population centres and doesn't tend to do well on transfers. Although why Ballina people thought voting Cowley in 2002 was the way to go remains a mystery to me.

Yes Kosmo. I was at the 2002 Mayo count and recall how close it was. Castlebar FG had given up on Enda up to Chambers elimination. It was the first time Frank Chambers had run and he transferred well to Kenny for local personal and geographical reasons.

Perhaps if Frank and his Director of Elections John Loftus has not been severely injured in an accident some days prior to polling there might have been a different scenario now locally and nationally.

From observing elections over the years I believe voting is increasinngly local rather than party slate. As already stated many Castlebar area voters voted always locally rather than party.

Cowley got many votes in Ballina because he grew up there, but I was amazed to see how strongly he polled in most of the Ballina boxes. They deserted Tom Moffat thinking that Cowley would be an influential independent. At that stage Ernie Caffrey was just making up the numbers rather than really fighting for the FG seat. FG should have run Michelle Mulherin in 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

At that stage Ernie McCaffrey was just making up the numbers rather than really fighting for the FG seat. FG should have run Michelle Mulherin in 2002

Its Ernie Caffrey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Cowley was canvassing at the back of Dunnes in Ballina yesterday evening, first one I've seen so far but probably no harm in what's happened over the last few days.

Is there anyone worth voting for in Mayo? I don't know enough about MM and DC is a f*cking rent boy - he's good when he has to lick someone's arse but seems to fall short when anything needs to be done.

But on the other hand, MM did send us a Christmas card, so that might make me lean in her direcion:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Cowley was canvassing at the back of Dunnes in Ballina yesterday evening, first one I've seen so far but probably no harm in what's happened over the last few days.

Is there anyone worth voting for in Mayo? I don't know enough about MM and DC is a f*cking rent boy - he's good when he has to lick someone's arse but seems to fall short when anything needs to be done.

But on the other hand, MM did send us a Christmas card, so that might make me lean in her direcion:rolleyes:

DC managed to get funding for the new special school in Ballina, funding for Muredachs, Moyne College, worked hard on Hollister. Vouldn't agree with ya.

Although why Ballina people thought voting Cowley in 2002 was the way to go remains a mystery to me.

Cowley's father worked in the land commission for many years in Ballina.......I think where he missed the boat was in 2007 election as his campaign in the Ballina area had no momentum, energy or passion. It looked like the previous 5 years had sucked the life out of him and his presence in Ballina during the campaign wasn't what it should have been.

That said he would have delivered a hell of a lot more to the area than DC (and no disrespect to what Dara has achieved) a la Jackie Healy Rae & Mike Lowry. In that sense I agree with Nuac in that voting is local and what the local candidate can do for the area. Cowley missed the boat in 2007, BIG TIME.

Looks like Gerry Murray didn't secure the SF nomination for Mayo with Therese Ruane and Rose Conway Walsh garnering the nominations......

Steph1 = thanks for correction re Ernie = the perils of hurried posting. I've corrected my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

......... worked hard on Hollister..............

What did he do with Hollister?

What did he do with Hollister?

Did he get his photo taken?:p

finisklin wrote: »
    Did he get his photo taken?:p

There is no point even discussing the issue because whatever I say will be shot down. DC does his work behind the scenes and not screaming from the rooftops. He worked with the department both as a TD and as a minister in deti, the relevant department for the investment to ensure that the development came to Ballina.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

There is no point even discussing the issue because whatever I say will be shot down. DC does his work behind the scenes and not screaming from the rooftops. He worked with the department both as a TD and as a minister in deti, the relevant department for the investment to ensure that the development came to Ballina.

Please DC does not even seem to have Ballina on his radar, Behind the scenes... come on. The only real thing he has going for him is that he was not part of the FF parliamentary party before 2007, so votes may be kind on him at the polls. He needs to voice up his achievements, because I haven't seen any. We had an open day at work and many politicians came except him.

alex73 wrote: »
    Please DC does not even seem to have Ballina on his radar, Behind the scenes... come on. The only real thing he has going for him is that he was not part of the FF parliamentary party before 2007, so votes may be kind on him at the polls. He needs to voice up his achievements, because I haven't seen any. We had an open day at work and many politicians came except him.

Really?? The new St Nicholas and St Dympnas school?? A proper special needs school after 30 years in a house?? Maybe you are the one without Ballina on your radar.

Really?? The new St Nicholas and St Dympnas school?? A proper special needs school after 30 years in a house?? Maybe you are the one without Ballina on your radar.

Hmmm and WHEN did St Nicholas and St Dympnas school get planning permission? After DC got elected?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hmmm and WHEN did St Nicholas and St Dympnas school get planning permission? After DC got elected?

It's worth noting that there are currently 100s of schools with planning permission. What these lack is funding. So, it's meaningless to talk about planning permission.

But if you are voting for somebody just on the bases of who will be the most likely to get your area something you vote for who is likely to be in the next government, not the last. (Or an independent who is willing to support government, if they need it).

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Any sign of an independent running?

monument wrote: »
    It's worth noting that there are currently 100s of schools with planning permission. What these lack is funding. So, it's meaningless to talk about planning permission.

But if you are voting for somebody just on the bases of who will be the most likely to get your area something you vote for who is likely to be in the next government, not the last. (Or an independent who is willing to support government, if they need it).

Agreed, the funding was given after his election. DC is as capable representing his area outside of the governing party as in on the basis of the excellent relationship he built up across the aisles.

Agreed, the funding was given after his election. DC is as capable representing his area outside of the governing party as in on the basis of the excellent relationship he built up across the aisles.

I am all for DC getting elected, But I think Michelle should be given a chance to also represent Ballina an its environs.

Between the 2 of them (and with Michelle probably in the governing party) there will be a very healthy competition for future votes and maybe more focus on Ballina.

Problem with FF is that there are too many "dynasties".. It seems to the a case of who you know that gets your the FF ticket. Mind you DC does seem like a decent guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kennedy2191

DC managed to get funding for the new special school in Ballina, funding for Muredachs, Moyne College, worked hard on Hollister. Vouldn't agree with ya.

TDs dont "get funding" for projects, this is something spun by TDs to make themselves look better to the electorate. Funding for the school would be decided by the department of education after receiving an allocation from the department of finance. Funding throughout departments is done by the civil service working in the departments, not by superman TDs.

This lie that a TD just snaps his fingers and instantly receives billions for a project in his constituency (as if it was that easy), as well as the idea of "getting" people things that theyre actually already entitled to, such as a bus pass, is just real Fianna Fail showtime antics for political attention, its what's horrible with the party.

Sorry about that... rant over!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

TDs dont "get funding" for projects, this is something spun by TDs to make themselves look better to the electorate. Funding for the school would be decided by the department of education after receiving an allocation from the department of finance. Funding throughout departments is done by the civil service working in the departments, not by superman TDs.

This lie that a TD just snaps his fingers and instantly receives billions for a project in his constituency (as if it was that easy), as well as the idea of "getting" people things that theyre actually already entitled to, such as a bus pass, is just real Fianna Fail showtime antics for political attention, its what's horrible with the party.

All TDs generally don't. But key ones do -- like Government ministers, junior ministers, and independents who support Governments or key supporters of leaders etc. It's been shown again and again that Governments divert extra funding to ministers' and independents' constituencies.

A lot of stuff is left to the civil service, but if you think there is no political input into where funding goes, you need to wake up and smell the money.

• Advertisement

The allocation to the Department of Education is a capital funding grant to be used by the Department and the Minister as they see fit so the Department of Finance has no decision on where the funding goes. Representations are made on behalf of projects by various TD's/Ministers and the decision is then based upon that. The decisions on Saint Dympnas and Saint Nicholas were made on the back of a visit by the Minister for Education to Ballina at DC's behest, how influential that was then to funding you can make up your own mind, but the lack of actual knowledge of how the system works for funding makes the rant a bit off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement