Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina TD in next goverment - Michelle Mulherin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kennedy2191

The allocation to the Department of Education is a capital funding grant to be used by the Department and the Minister as they see fit so the Department of Finance has no decision on where the funding goes. Representations are made on behalf of projects by various TD's/Ministers and the decision is then based upon that. The decisions on Saint Dympnas and Saint Nicholas were made on the back of a visit by the Minister for Education to Ballina at DC's behest, how influential that was then to funding you can make up your own mind, but the lack of actual knowledge of how the system works for funding makes the rant a bit off.

Well having worked in the allocation of grants in the civil service I think I do have actual knowledge of how the system works, from the allocation to the department from the department of finance and from there to individual projects, and obviously I understand that deputies yield power to try sway money towards certain projects, this is commonly understood.

The point of my rant, as I admit was, is that deputies can not claim complete credit for every project/scheme/etc. undertaken in their constituency. The image of a TD standing in front of the cameras smiling, saying, "I did this" as if superhuman and special is incorrect and wrong.

>It is wrong as TDs simply should not send out this message as they should be representing on a national stage and not simply looking after their own backyard, it's ugly gombeen politics (which has been far too prevalent by FF during the celtic tiger).

>It is incorrect as a large amount of projects/schemes/etc. would have been initiated regardless of who hold office. A 15 year old could hold the seat and it would still happen because a large amount of this funding is decided by the civil service in the department, as you said yourself, regardless of the minister's personal preferences. Groups and organisations, such as saint Dympnas and Saint Nicholas, can make applications for grants for projects independent of the local TD, these are received and dealt with by the civil servants in the department. Ministers do not need to visit the area to make the decision, the visit by the Minister to the schools was simply a publicity stunt, after it was decided the school would receive the funding, although probably only announced after the visit (I'll stand corrected on this though). Do you really think how good of a day a minister a Minister has in a place dictates how they'll allocate millions??? I mean you'd really want to make sure you have the expensive biscuits in that day so wouldnt you, probably even spray a bit of air fresher too I reckon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Well having worked in the allocation of grants in the civil service I think I do have actual knowledge of how the system works, from the allocation to the department from the department of finance and from there to individual projects, and obviously I understand that deputies yield power to try sway money towards certain projects, this is commonly understood.

The point of my rant, as I admit was, is that deputies can not claim complete credit for every project/scheme/etc. undertaken in their constituency. The image of a TD standing in front of the cameras smiling, saying, "I did this" as if superhuman and special is incorrect and wrong.

>It is wrong as TDs simply should not send out this message as they should be representing on a national stage and not simply looking after their own backyard, it's ugly gombeen politics (which has been far too prevalent by FF during the celtic tiger).

>It is incorrect as a large amount of projects/schemes/etc. would have been initiated regardless of who hold office. A 15 year old could hold the seat and it would still happen because a large amount of this funding is decided by the civil service in the department, as you said yourself, regardless of the minister's personal preferences. Groups and organisations, such as saint Dympnas and Saint Nicholas, can make applications for grants for projects independent of the local TD, these are received and dealt with by the civil servants in the department. Ministers do not need to visit the area to make the decision, the visit by the Minister to the schools was simply a publicity stunt, after it was decided the school would receive the funding, although probably only announced after the visit (I'll stand corrected on this though). Do you really think how good of a day a minister a Minister has in a place dictates how they'll allocate millions??? I mean you'd really want to make sure you have the expensive biscuits in that day so wouldnt you, probably even spray a bit of air fresher too I reckon!!!

So according to your slant on things what is the point of any TD worrying about national politics as the civil service is running the country and making the decisions anyway???As far as worrying about local issues, the very people who complain about TD's worrying about local issues and not national issues will be the very ones in their office looking for something done as soon as the need arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Interesting to see Mulherin in 3rd place on the Boards.ie poll

http://www.boards.ie/vote/results.php?c_id=34

It seems callerary will loose his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

alex73 wrote: »
    Interesting to see Mulherin in 3rd place on the Boards.ie poll

It seems callerary will loose his seat.

The boards poll will be interesting to follow but there are a number of fundamental problems with it:

The poll shouldn't have been opened until all candidates were declared, or at the very least three already declared candidates should not be missing from the list.

The sample so far is tiny.

The demographics of boards users differ hugely from the overall demographics of the county. This will work against both FF, particularly Calleary, and Michael Ring (funeral man) in this poll.

The boards poll will be interesting to follow but there are a number of fundamental problems with it:

The poll shouldn't have been opened until all candidates were declared, or at the very least three already declared candidates should not be missing from the list.

The sample so far is tiny.

The demographics of boards users differ hugely from the overall demographics of the county. This will work against both FF, particularly Calleary, and Michael Ring (funeral man) in this poll.

Well it's only an internet poll at the end of the day and you can change your vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

alex73 wrote: »
    Well it's only an internet poll at the end of the day and you can change your vote.

I think the point is that though it is interesting it bears little resemblance to what the final outcome will be due to the deficiencies highlighted.

Critically, it is not a representative sample of the Mayo electorate and any inferences should be carefully considered. For example, only a tiny portion of my Mayo friends/family etc visit boards.ie. I am sure this is the same for many others though internet penetration may be high within the county, it is not used by all members of the household, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

finisklin wrote: »
    I think the point is that though it is interesting it bears little resemblance to what the final outcome will be due to the deficiencies highlighted.

Critically, it is not a representative sample of the Mayo electorate and any inferences should be carefully considered. For example, only a tiny portion of my Mayo friends/family etc visit boards.ie. I am sure this is the same for many others though internet penetration may be high within the county, it is not used by all members of the household, IMO.

? I would say 90- 95% of the Mayo population have access to internet (Land or Mobile) now weather they use it is another thing. I know of nobody under the age of 40 who does not have internet. Certainly the over 50's many would not have interest or ability to use it.

I know for a fact that all the houses around me have internet because of the wireless networks ID's that they broadcast.

Fast forward 20 years and it will be pretty much universal, not having the internet will be akin to not be able to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

She would do well not to hand out flyers with spelling mistakes - reflects very badly in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

While a high percentage of households have internet, I suggest only a small percentage of these acess political discussion boards.

I suggest any poll of representative samples less than 1000 would be unreliable.

nuac wrote: »
    While a high percentage of households have internet, I suggest only a small percentage of these acess political discussion boards.

I suggest any poll of representative samples less than 1000 would be unreliable.

I agree, But still its interesting to see the results. Still I think its a given the Kenny will top the Poll in mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭keithcan

deputies can not claim complete credit for every project/scheme/etc. undertaken in their constituency. The image of a TD standing in front of the cameras smiling, saying, "I did this" as if superhuman and special is incorrect and wrong.

A key part of the way the above system works is the local/regional newspapers. So many of them (e.g. the Western People) slavishly print the Press Releases of TDs and Councillors as 'News Articles'. So some TD/Councillor has their office issue a statement to sya that they're delighted that funding has been approved for whatever project, or that they're appalled at something bad that's happened. And the 'Paper' prints this as 'News'. This perpetuates the behaviour of TDs/Councillors claiming association with things in which they had no meaninful role - and it's just shocking lazy 'journalism'.

keithcan wrote: »
    A key part of the way the above system works is the local/regional newspapers. So many of them (e.g. the Western People) slavishly print the Press Releases of TDs and Councillors as 'News Articles'. So some TD/Councillor has their office issue a statement to sya that they're delighted that funding has been approved for whatever project, or that they're appalled at something bad that's happened. And the 'Paper' prints this as 'News'. This perpetuates the behaviour of TDs/Councillors claiming association with things in which they had no meaninful role - and it's just shocking lazy 'journalism'.

To say you are delighted funding has been approved is in no way claiming a hand in getting that funding. I am delighted that the Crossmolina Loop Walk round the lake received funding for the new lights, doesn't mean I am claiming any credit for getting it, means I am happy it was secured.

But who's not delighted that the new lights got funded? Who? Difference is a TD has a press officer to issue the meaningless statement that the Regional Paper then prints as news. There are likely to be an amount of people who half-read the article and then half-remember that such and such a TD was 'involved' in those lights. And so the association is formed with stuff that was happening anyway.

And just to emphasise - the TDs also frequently issue PRs claiming they were delighted that Min Whoever from the same party has told them a grant is being issued. Again, no role for the TD, but a strong association being claimed/implied/whatever way you describe it.

I know of a situation where grants are objectively decided based on fairly straightforward criteria. Before the public servants involved can write to the recepient groups, the list has to be 'approved' by the Minister. What this really means is the Minister lets his party colleagues know of the awards in their locality so they can both contact the recepient group and issue a PR.

Maybe you don't agree it's wrong, but don't you think it's pathetic?

But who's not delighted that the new lights got funded? Who? Difference is a TD has a press officer to issue the meaningless statement that the Regional Paper then prints as news. There are likely to be an amount of people who half-read the article and then half-remember that such and such a TD was 'involved' in those lights. And so the association is formed with stuff that was happening anyway.

And just to emphasise - the TDs also frequently issue PRs claiming they were delighted that Min Whoever from the same party has told them a grant is being issued. Again, no role for the TD, but a strong association being claimed/implied/whatever way you describe it.

I know of a situation where grants are objectively decided based on fairly straightforward criteria. Before the public servants involved can write to the recepient groups, the list has to be 'approved' by the Minister. What this really means is the Minister lets his party colleagues know of the awards in their locality so they can both contact the recepient group and issue a PR.

Maybe you don't agree it's wrong, but don't you think it's pathetic?

So you are admitting that the TD is at no fault here, it is the people who misinterpret the information presented to them. Thank you for the conclusive proving of the point I made.

That's why I don't buy the Western anymore......news that Beleek has secured funding or some opening with a TD and minister etc. is not news just an opportunity to perpetuate the TD's own self importance and help secure those vital votes at the election. Image management and perception is everything......this is what is wrong with the political system.

It's also lazy journalism and takes away from uncovering real stories and real news within the community. :mad: That's probably part of the reason the Western has been badly hit with the recession.....people have realised that it's not essential reading. Plus you can get most of the stories in mayotoday.ie.:cool:

That's why I don't buy the Western anymore......news that Beleek has secured funding or some opening with a TD and minister etc. is not news just an opportunity to perpetuate the TD's own self importance and help secure those vital votes at the election. Image management and perception is everything......this is what is wrong with the political system.

It's also lazy journalism and takes away from uncovering real stories and real news within the community. :mad: That's probably part of the reason the Western has been badly hit with the recession.....people have realised that it's not essential reading. Plus you can get most of the stories in mayotoday.ie.:cool:

The ruination of the Western was the purchase of it by TCH and the attempt to make it into a regional paper rather than a North Mayo paper. They don't have enough reporters to be a newspaper anymore and rely heavily on press releases ( not just from politicians but every type of organisation )

So you are admitting that the TD is at no fault here, it is the people who misinterpret the information presented to them. Thank you for the conclusive proving of the point I made.

Love of mercy, Harry, you're working real hard to assert your point in the face of any alternative opinion. Your use of "conclusive" is surely stretching it...

Here it is IMO - you're absolutely correct that there are plenty of people who misinterpret the info (or more accurately, the spin) that gets put on these announcements re funding, grants, etc. For God's sake, a big number people have been voting FF back in to Govt for years now. So clearly there are quite a few of our compatriots who'll swallow whatever. I've no problem saying you've made a sound point there.

But the assertion you make that "the TD is at no fault here"... It's a pathetic system, pathetic behaviour by the TDs, as well as by the 'newspapers', symptomatic of so much that's wrong with our politics. If you wanna believe that the TD is at no fault here, that's your right. But please have enough respect for others not to claim that I am "admitting this". I amn't, I didn't and that's simply your odd spin on the thing...

This is striking a cord......

UP TO ONE MILLION PEOPLE IN IRELAND ARE LIKELY TO SUFFER FROM DEMENTIA WITHIN THE NEXT 15 YEARS – AND WOMEN ARE MORE LIKELY TO SUFFER THAN MEN.

THESE ARE SOME OF THE STATISTICS BEING HIGHLIGHTED BY LORETTA CLARKE, A BALLINA-BASED INDEPENDENT CANDIDATE IN THE MAYO CONSTITUENCY.

LORETTA, WHO’S AN OLD AGE PENSIONER, IS CAMPAIGNING FOR IMPROVED RIGHTS FOR THE ELDERLY, AS MAYO HAS THE HIGHEST NUMBER OF OAP’S IN THE COUNTRY.

THE INDEPENDENT CANDIDATE IS ALSO CALLING ON THE NEW GOVERNMENT TO FORMULATE A CHARTER OF RIGHTS FOR THE PROTECTION OF THE ELDERLY.

Haven't seen any posters yet but she's feisty!

Whatever about the poor reporting from the Western People, the photo of the Mayo fine Gael team, in effect a ad, is priceless. Inda and the two lads with the jackets off and sleeves rolled up......all ready for some hard work! On closer examination the lads just have the cuff links off! The serious faces and demeanour's make it laughable. I know its a photo but it is just so staged........

The caption is teamworks......a little superficial given that Inda & Ring are not bossum buddies or MM & O'Mahoney aren't on each others Xmas card lists. Though I reckon Ring will get a ministerial portfolio.

Will Ring top the poll or will it be Inda?

Whatever about the poor reporting from the Western People, the photo of the Mayo fine Gael team, in effect a ad, is priceless. Inda and the two lads with the jackets off and sleeves rolled up......all ready for some hard work! On closer examination the lads just have the cuff links off! The serious faces and demeanour's make it laughable. I know its a photo but it is just so staged........

The caption is teamworks......a little superficial given that Inda & Ring are not bossum buddies or MM & O'Mahoney aren't on each others Xmas card lists. Though I reckon Ring will get a ministerial portfolio.

Will Ring top the poll or will it be Inda?

Enda will top the poll, which won't please Ring. But then again, as last time Ring will probably be carried into the count centre while Enda strolls in on the ground. I hope they give Ring a harmless Ministery.And agree with your comments re the photo.

• Advertisement

Enda will top the poll, which won't please Ring. But then again, as last time Ring will probably be carried into the count centre while Enda strolls in on the ground. I hope they give Ring a harmless Ministery.And agree with your comments re the photo.

Harry...time to nail your true colours to the mast!?! :p

Harry...time to nail your true colours to the mast!?! :p

Ah come on, you are one of the most intelligent posters in here, surely you can figure it out from my posts!!

Ah come on, you are one of the most intelligent posters in here, surely you can figure it out from my posts!!

Doesn't mean your getting my vote......:pac:......:pac:.....:pac:....

Doesn't mean your getting my vote......:pac:......:pac:.....:pac:....

Ah well, was worth a try.................or is that you buying time until ya read through my posts again!!

I see that Sinn fein has a lot of large posters up. Actually they seem to be canvassing very hard in Mayo. Can't seen many FG canvassers out much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

best of luck tomorrow michelle!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I hope so too. But you can be sure Ring will put the gun to Enda's head and will demad Social Welfare or Social Protection as its called now. Wonder what it'll be called next month:)

Best of Luck today. 5 #1's from our house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'll be embarrassed if FG get 4 seats in Mayo. It's obvious people are only voting for them in such numbers because the leader is from Castlebar, and its cringeworthy stuff to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Obvious to you, maybe. It's just barely possible that people are voting for FG candidates because they're not seeing much in the way of credible alternatives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement