Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina TD in next goverment - Michelle Mulherin

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The local papers are saying loud and clear that people should vote for FG so Enda can be the first Mayo Taoiseach ( The Connacht Telegraph has been saying it since 2007). I'd actually be delighted if Bruton managed to oust him eventually and shut people up with this parochial nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

CONGRATS MICHELLE ON YOUR WIN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Duffy the VS, many in Mayo who are not FG voted this time and in 2007 for FG to secure a Mayo Taoiseach.

This is in the hope of attracting more infrastructural investment to the County and obtaining more attention from bodies such as IDA.

This is not "parochial nonsense" but a legitimate aspiration for all interested in a better future for their county.

I have found over the years that those who object to such attitudes are often based in or near larger centres such as Dublin, Cork, Lmerick, Galway - allof which have got more than their fair share of state investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The local papers are saying loud and clear that people should vote for FG so Enda can be the first Mayo Taoiseach ( The Connacht Telegraph has been saying it since 2007). I'd actually be delighted if Bruton managed to oust him eventually and shut people up with this parochial nonsense.

This isn't a fault of Inda's, its the political system that we have that is geared towards local issues........I for one am not complaining because Mayo is gonna need all the help that it can get over the next 10 years. Why?
    • Unemployment black spots in Ballina, Castlebar
    • Emigration high in county
    • Infrastructure challenges ( Ballina to Balla route)
    • Industrial development
    • Corrib gas project & untapped natural energy in the county.
    If your not happy with the field you can either spoil your vote or not vote at all or choose a candidate that's not Inda......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

finisklin wrote: »
    This isn't a fault of Inda's, its the political system that we have that is geared towards local issues........I for one am not complaining because Mayo is gonna need all the help that it can get over the next 10 years. Why?
    • Unemployment black spots in Ballina, Castlebar
    • Emigration high in county
    • Infrastructure challenges ( Ballina to Balla route)
    • Industrial development
    • Corrib gas project & untapped natural energy in the county.
    If your not happy with the field you can either spoil your vote or not vote at all or choose a candidate that's not Inda......

Ballina to Balla will never be dome unless we strangle those flaming swans An Board Pleanala are so worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Ballina to Balla will never be dome unless we strangle those flaming swans An Board Pleanala are so worried about.

Ballina to Balla????

Don't you mean Swinford?

MMMMHHHH.....maybe Dara will take credit for this in his 2016 GE literature? Could be a good initiation rite for local fledgling FFers in the next few years.....or a potential contrition? :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The main reason it was rejected was that a dual carriageway would be over the top, An Board Pleanala said "a more modest upgrade may be acceptable". There's no justification for it to be a dual carriageway -- not even the NRA's older peek traffic predictions come near to doing so.

And it mentioned the "status of the River Moy as a salmon angling resource of major international importance" well above swans, which were a footnote. The road wasn't upgraded years ago because of objections from locals.... are you going to make jokes about strangling them or just the defenceless swans? And you could say that part of it was that Ballina people up to now kept voting for Castlebar TDs... going to strangle them too are you? :rolleyes:

Avns1s wrote: »
    Ballina to Balla????

Don't you mean Swinford?

Surely you mean Ballina to Bohola? :)

See here on Mayotoday re MM's acceptance speech.....trying hard to keep an open mind on this one and not sure if Mayotoday is Pro FG or what. Interested to hear anyone's views who was there......

Enda Kenny may the sun at the centre of Ireland’s political world today, but in Michelle Mulherin a new Fine Gael star has been born who is certain to shine brightly in the days ahead. Her acceptance speech in the small hours of Sunday morning to a packed TF Royal Theatre in Castlebar was one of the most memorable and heartfelt heard at a political event in Mayo in decades.

Her words about there being “mercy” when the cuts are been handed out and “drawing circles of inclusiveness” struck a chord with everyone who heard her speak.

“We know there will be tough medicine, but if there is mercy we can go forward and we will recover,” she said to loud applause.
    She continued: “People feel so disenfranchised by what has happened by what they have seen by people in authority by people in government who let them down.”

The Ballina solicitor went on to remind people that we live should not take our democracy for granted.

m55.jpg
    Michelle Mulherin one of the new generation Fine Gael TDs arriving at the Castlebar count centre.

“People are right to put their hands up to politicians, but I’ll tell you this, you just have to go to a country that doesn’t have a democracy; and that doesn’t have civil liberties for their individual citizens.

“We have those privileges in this country and it just doesn’t fall on your lap; we have it because we work on it; we work on our democracy and every single person who votes, regardless of their politics, is working on that to make this country a better place.

“And every single person who is here, again, regardless of politics is here because we want to draw a line and we want to move forward.
    "And we want say this is a great country; and there are great people in this country, and we want to build on that.

“All that has happened to us has been man-made; it wasn’t a natural catastrophe; not a bolt of lightning.

“But it will be repaired by men and women working together as we have worked together - I am so convinced of that,” added the new TD.[/I]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

monument wrote: »

Surely you mean Ballina to Bohola? :)

Yep I do..... but some people seem to have an issue with that route so I left it at Swinford (via Bohola of course!!) :D

• Advertisement

See here on Mayotoday re MM's acceptance speech.....trying hard to keep an open mind on this one and not sure if Mayotoday is Pro FG or what. Interested to hear anyone's views who was there......

Enda Kenny may the sun at the centre of Ireland’s political world today, but in Michelle Mulherin a new Fine Gael star has been born who is certain to shine brightly in the days ahead. Her acceptance speech in the small hours of Sunday morning to a packed TF Royal Theatre in Castlebar was one of the most memorable and heartfelt heard at a political event in Mayo in decades.

Her words about there being “mercy” when the cuts are been handed out and “drawing circles of inclusiveness” struck a chord with everyone who heard her speak.

“We know there will be tough medicine, but if there is mercy we can go forward and we will recover,” she said to loud applause.
    She continued: “People feel so disenfranchised by what has happened by what they have seen by people in authority by people in government who let them down.”

The Ballina solicitor went on to remind people that we live should not take our democracy for granted.

m55.jpg
    Michelle Mulherin one of the new generation Fine Gael TDs arriving at the Castlebar count centre.

“People are right to put their hands up to politicians, but I’ll tell you this, you just have to go to a country that doesn’t have a democracy; and that doesn’t have civil liberties for their individual citizens.

“We have those privileges in this country and it just doesn’t fall on your lap; we have it because we work on it; we work on our democracy and every single person who votes, regardless of their politics, is working on that to make this country a better place.

“And every single person who is here, again, regardless of politics is here because we want to draw a line and we want to move forward.
    "And we want say this is a great country; and there are great people in this country, and we want to build on that.

“All that has happened to us has been man-made; it wasn’t a natural catastrophe; not a bolt of lightning.

“But it will be repaired by men and women working together as we have worked together - I am so convinced of that,” added the new TD.[/I]

I was in the count centre when she made her speech, words fail me to even describe it, by halfway through even Fine Gael people were shuffling and mumbling to such an extent with embarrassment that it was difficult to hear the second half. I suggest you try and track down an audio copy.

I was in the count centre when she made her speech, words fail me to even describe it, by halfway through even Fine Gael people were shuffling and mumbling to such an extent with embarrassment that it was difficult to hear the second half. I suggest you try and track down an audio copy.

Obvisiously you were there as an impartial observer, with no political bias and your views are totally objective and non partisan. :rolleyes:

Obvisiously you were there as an impartial observer, with no political bias and your views are totally objective and non partisan. :rolleyes:

They actually are, as you don't know me you have no idea how impartial I am in views like that. Enda was fine, Michael Ring gave a good speech and there was O'Mahoney was fine. Listen to it yourself and you will realise what I mean.

They actually are, as you don't know me you have no idea how impartial I am in views like that. Enda was fine, Michael Ring gave a good speech and there was O'Mahoney was fine. Listen to it yourself and you will realise what I mean.

I knew it.....MayoToday.ie is a blueshirt organ. I thought it was too good to be true. Looks like I gonna have to go back to midwestradio.ie. Wait aren't they.......damn....where can I get local, objective news coverage?

How about Harrypotter.ie?

Maybe I'm better off with the parish bulletin!

I knew it.....MayoToday.ie is a blueshirt organ. I thought it was too good to be true. Looks like I gonna have to go back to midwestradio.ie. Wait aren't they.......damn....where can I get local, objective news coverage?

How about Harrypotter.ie?

Maybe I'm better off with the parish bulletin!

Again you know nothing about me so find the comment slightly insulting. I prefer not to judge people until such time as I have met them. The format of what MayoToday published has the look of a press release so the only thing they may be guilty of is laziness.

Again you know nothing about me so find the comment slightly insulting. I prefer not to judge people until such time as I have met them. The format of what MayoToday published has the look of a press release so the only thing they may be guilty of is laziness.

Harry, I didn't meet to step on your virtual toes. The piece is not a press release and my reading of it is that the writer expresses a personal opinion based on his own experiences as a political observer of speeches from all political parties.

"Her acceptance speech in the small hours of Sunday morning to a packed TF Royal Theatre in Castlebar was one of the most memorable and heartfelt heard at a political event in Mayo in decades."

Can I also point out that other posters have crossed swords with you (as I myself have) over your consistent interpretation of facts/events regarding your polical allegiances that are contrary to rhyme and reason. I do respect your steadfastness in this regard and no doubt you will drawing on this in the future to build for 2016.

I make no bones about my cynicism when it comes to politics. Recent events have proven that people have a right to be sceptical of superficial clap trap.

Harry, I didn't meet to step on your virtual toes. The piece is not a press release and my reading of it is that the writer expresses a personal opinion based on his own experiences as a political observer of speeches from all political parties.

"Her acceptance speech in the small hours of Sunday morning to a packed TF Royal Theatre in Castlebar was one of the most memorable and heartfelt heard at a political event in Mayo in decades."

Can I also point out that other posters have crossed swords with you (as I myself have) over your consistent interpretation of facts/events regarding your polical allegiances that are contrary to rhyme and reason. I do respect your steadfastness in this regard and no doubt you will drawing on this in the future to build for 2016.

I make no bones about my cynicism when it comes to politics. Recent events have proven that people have a right to be sceptical of superficial clap trap.

I find that a lot of the people on boards will always cross swords because there is no real logical process to their views except vitriol, the misfortune of the internet. I have been as critical of Fianna fail as anyone in the "real" world. I am delighted that the voters have got rid of a lot of the dead weight within the party that the party would have found it difficult to shift. They needed to be got rid of for the party to wrench itself back to where it began. Sean Dorgan should have the decency to resign and save himself having to be sacked. This time around I would not have canvassed if the candidate was not as good as DC is, so I would wonder about how steadfast you think those views are.

I would also say that I have answered questions on here much more than ever portrayed viewpoints, just because the answers don't suit others, c'est la vie

I find that a lot of the people on boards will always cross swords because there is no real logical process to their views except vitriol, the misfortune of the internet. I have been as critical of Fianna fail as anyone in the "real" world. I am delighted that the voters have got rid of a lot of the dead weight within the party that the party would have found it difficult to shift. They needed to be got rid of for the party to wrench itself back to where it began. Sean Dorgan should have the decency to resign and save himself having to be sacked. This time around I would not have canvassed if the candidate was not as good as DC is, so I would wonder about how steadfast you think those views are.

I would also say that I have answered questions on here much more than ever portrayed viewpoints, just because the answers don't suit others, c'est la vie

Thats the beauty of politics (and boards.ie).......my view is that politics is too important to be left to politicians. It is way more important than that. You have grounded views and the perspectives surfacing on here is because of the financial pain that the Mayo electorate have suffered. Unfortunately these views are engrained into our political DNA and there is no doubt that at the next GE its still gonna be an up hill battle.

More here on that.....
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/0228/1224291006119.html?via=mr

I can appreciate you sticking to the man. Maybe its time for you to encourage him to go solo, change the brand name even and awake in a new world with a fresh start. Things have changed, the past is past....maybe your steadfastness should let go?

Thats the beauty of politics (and boards.ie).......my view is that politics is too important to be left to politicians. It is way more important than that. You have grounded views and the perspectives surfacing on here is because of the financial pain that the Mayo electorate have suffered. Unfortunately these views are engrained into our political DNA and there is no doubt that at the next GE its still gonna be an up hill battle.

More here on that.....
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/0228/1224291006119.html?via=mr

I can appreciate you sticking to the man. Maybe its time for you to encourage him to go solo, change the brand name even and awake in a new world with a fresh start. Things have changed, the past is past....maybe your steadfastness should let go?

Hah, you have not much faith in the electorate if you think we can change the name and they will forget we used to be Fianna Fail.

Fianna Fail have made huge mistakes in the last 14 years, but Fianna Fail also did a lot of good thinhs in this country over the last 80 years which people seem to forget, and if it went back to its core values and puts the people first then it can be a useful political force in this country again.

The country and the party have been destroyed by one man, Bartholemew Ahern. He ran the government by his say so without brooking argument while feathering the nests of his friends to retain power. He ran the party as a dictatorship and ruined the whole organisation so that there was a disconnect from the grassroots and ordinary people on the ground.

Bad and all as Haughey was, he was somebody everybody knew to be a crook, and only feathered his own nest while still trying to work for the ordinary people ( not a defence of anything Haughey did, just an observation ). Haughey was spot on in what he said about Ahern, just took a long time for people to realise it.

Hah, you have not much faith in the electorate if you think we can change the name and they will forget we used to be Fianna Fail.

If Opal Fruits and Marathon can do it.....so can FF!!!!

• Advertisement

If Opal Fruits and Marathon can do it.....so can FF!!!!

There are people who would say that they left a sweeter taste in your mouth and were easier to rebrand for it :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement