Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearty soup recipes

Options
  • 29-11-2010 8:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone post tried and tested recipes for hearty soups? I mean ones that are like a full meal in a bowl - similar to Mr Magnolia's Spicy Thai Chicken Noodle Soup. They're really convenient and filling, and I'd like to make more of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you don't mind it being quite thick/oily/stewy, tomato and chorizo soup is perfect for the cold days.

Try...

2-3 cans chopped tomatos
    2 thinly sliced onions
    2 clove garlic
    1 chopped chorizo sausage (English Market will sort you out for some lovely chorizo)
    1-2 seeded/chopped chilli
    1 tablespoon ground paprika
    Olive Oil
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Brown sugar

Leave it stew away for a few hours and you're set. You might want to fry the chorizo first, you might not. Adjust the sugar/vinegar/olive oil ratios to your own taste. You can use chicken stock too, but I hardly ever do.

If you want something more filling, add loads of lentils while it's stewing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

My father makes what we call mincey stew at home (his father used to make it). Its yum, cheap and filling. I don't have the exact quantities, but it is essentially a mince stew with extra gravy to make it into a soup.

Approximate quantities are:

500g mince
    1pt beef stock
    1 carrot
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic
    celery
    worcester sauce
    salt / pepper
    tomato puree (about 1 teasp)
    teasp mustard
    Potatoes

Fry onions / garlic add rest of veg. Take out of pot and fry mince. Add everything back in add in stock, tomato puree, mustard and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are cooked. You may need to add more stock to ensure it stays soupy. Add worcester sauce to taste at the end.

Can swap potatoes for dumplings if you want. Dumplings are nicer as they absorb the flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi Faith - FWIW, I make a stew very similar to Mr M's. To bulk it up & make more of a meal out of it I throw in bean sprouts, babycorn, mange tout & bamboo shoots (or you could use a tin of Sharwoods Wok Mix). I use Thai curry paste in mine & a dash of 5 Spice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

SCOTCH BROTH
    A couple of handfuls of leftover ham, chopped

A quarter of a mug of barley (roughly 2 oz)

A half a mug of lentils, rinsed (roughly 4oz)

2 chicken stock cubes

A good sized carrot, diced

3-4 slices of turnip, diced

Half a leek, diced (or an onion)

A good handful of shredded cabbage

Salt and pepper (easy on the salt because of the ham!)

A small pinch of mixed herbs

1.5 litres of hot water (a full kettle)

Boil the meat, barley and lentils with the stock cubes in the water for 40 minutes.
    Add the carrot, leek, turnip, herbs and salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
    Add the cabbage and boil for another 10 minutes.
    (I boil my potatoes separately because this makes a lot of broth and it keeps better without the potatoes in it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

A whole bunch of soup recipes on a previous thread

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056076830

Enjoy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I make minestrone soup when I want a really full meal in a bowl. Easy to make, cheap ingredients, takes about half an hour including prep time. I use a little chopper/ processor to chop the veg finely; it gives great results and saves a lot of time. I use this recipe and it always turns out bloody gorgeous:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4807/chunky-minestrone-soup

I don't often have cannellini beans in my cupboard and find that chickpeas are great in this soup. They hold together really well and are quite meaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If you don't mind it being quite thick/oily/stewy, tomato and chorizo soup is perfect for the cold days.

Try...

2-3 cans chopped tomatos
    2 thinly sliced onions
    2 clove garlic
    1 chopped chorizo sausage (English Market will sort you out for some lovely chorizo)
    1-2 seeded/chopped chilli
    1 tablespoon ground paprika
    Olive Oil
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Brown sugar

Leave it stew away for a few hours and you're set. You might want to fry the chorizo first, you might not. Adjust the sugar/vinegar/olive oil ratios to your own taste. You can use chicken stock too, but I hardly ever do.

If you want something more filling, add loads of lentils while it's stewing :)

I work in Iagos in the English market, we have LOADS of chorizo's including fresh so I'm gonna give this a go very soon. The balsamic vinegar sold me! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Don't forget to give the chorizo a quick frying if they're fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

im no onion fan and was aprahensive when trying french onion soup. but if u havent tried it already, it is food of the gods tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Made this the other day - quick and delicious:

1 carrot
    1 onion
    2 sticks celery
    1 clove garlic
    1 knuckle of ginger
    3 parsnips
    1L chicken stock

Put some olive oil in a pan on medium heat, then chop up and throw in all the veg and ginger and cook for ~10 minutes to soften them up a bit. Pour in the stock and cook for 20 minutes or so till everything's soft. Blend it together and add salt and pepper to taste. Great soup!

This is enough for 3-4 people

• Advertisement
Advertisement