Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An issue with a Mod, thanks

Options
  • 29-11-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Could someone please give me a dig-out here?

What happens when you believe that a mod has an issue with you?

I have gone to the dispute resolution page, the page that she suggested I go to. The mod suggested we ask for her comment, and she didn't bother even responding.

The bottom line here is I am a 42 year old woman with a young child. I have added some comments to parenting....I have even asked for advice in the anonymous section. I would honestly be lost without boards.

And yet, a particular mod had once again banned me from parenting because I dared to ask her a question. Am I not allowed to ask why she chose to question me?

I get that there are rules here - I get that boards needs mods - in fact, I am on other websites, where I actively say they need mods. But this is really beginning to agitate me. I feel I cannot comment on any parenting situation, without her jumping to her own defence, and banning me.

Like I said, I am a woman in my 40s, single mum, working full time and I genuinely look to boards for support on a daily basis - I have many many friends who I have told about boards, and who have all become regular users.

The dispute resolution section did not work in this situation. She did not even comment on my issue, despite her telling me to go there, and despite another mod telling me they would ask her for a comment. ~And now I have just been banned from parenting for 14 days, for daring to question her. Doesn't anyone moderate the mods?
    Do I just stop using Boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi there Fittle, sorry that the dispute resolution procedure (DRP) did not work out for you last time. It's not a perfect system but I think we should try it again.

To be clear, you are now disputing a 14 day ban from Parenting. I'll ask the CMods to look at this and then they can invite the mod to comment if they see a need.

EDIT: Thread in question

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

In the previous case, I did in fact ask Thaedydal for a comment, and I passed on those comments - I'm sorry if that wasn't explicit. It's also worth pointing out that the result of Dispute Resolution is to settle the dispute as equitably as possible according to the rules of the forum in question. It's not simply a mechanism for overturning any ban a poster disagrees with - a ban may be either upheld, overturned, or reduced, but in order for either of the latter to occur, the poster needs to show that the original ban was unfair. It's not sufficient for the poster to simply state that they feel it was unfair.

In this case, I'm not sure there any particular need for the mod in question to comment - if you have an issue with a mod decision, such as Thaedydal's original warning, you don't challenge it on thread. That's a rule that applies across all of Boards, and for the same reason everywhere, which is that it drags threads off-topic.

This seems to me to be the sequence of events:

1. Thaedydal posts a warning in bold at the top of her next post:
    Thaedydal wrote:
    I would like to remind posters this forum is meant to be supportive of parents and posts which have a go at a poster are not permitted.

2. You respond to the warning:
    Fittle wrote:
    Who is your bolded text aimed at Mod? I think everyone here has been quite supportive of the OP, except for the spelling, which you have also pointed out yourself

3. Thaedydal responds by reminding you not to comment on moderation on thread:
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Fittle if you have a comment or a question for a mod re a mod warning or action pm, do not drag the thread off topic.

4. You respond by further commenting:
    Fittle wrote:
    I didn't think it was a warning I only asked who it was directed at, as i feel everyone on this thread, so far, has offered the OP advice,apart from the typo comments, which have been dealt with

5. And you get banned for commenting on moderation on thread:
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Fittle banned for failing to follow mod instruction and again posting about a mod action in thread.

You've received a ban here because you're not following one of the basic ground rules of Boards. You would have received that ban anywhere on Boards for following the same course.

So far you've received three bans that I know of:

1. Soccer Access Requests: Ignored access mechanism
    2. Parenting: ignoring mod warning
    3. Parenting: Failing to follow mod instruction.

Boards has rules - if you don't follow them, you get banned or infracted. Basic rules like "don't argue moderation on thread" are there for the benefit of all users - you may think a mod's actions are incorrect, but commenting on them on thread drags the thread immediately off-topic.

As far as I can see here, you've ignored one of the basic rules, and been banned for 14 days for doing so. That may seem steep, but you have a previous ban that also resulted from ignoring a mod warning. The next ban will probably be a month, and the one after that permanent - at least, that's the usual pattern.

Is there a reason why you particularly should be able to comment on moderator actions on-thread - or do you disagree with the rule in general?

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Hi Fittle, the CMod responded on Tuesday do you have any other comment or query? Have your questions been answered?

Fittle it has now been one week since we entered this process, you have received a response from the CMod in question within one day of starting the original thread and have not responded up to one week later to argue your case or to say that you accept the CMod reasoning.

I am therefore closing this thread and marking it resolved. The ban stands. If you do want it opened again send me a PM. Thank you. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement