Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ardgillan this week....

• 29-11-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Thinking of hitting the Ardgillan trail in the morn or Wed/Thurs lunch/ early pm if anyone wants to join the fun.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

bcmf wrote: »
    Thinking of hitting the Ardgillan trail in the morn or Wed/Thurs lunch/ early pm if anyone wants to join the fun.

Thursday is good for me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Would love to head out but cant get time off work! Need the funds, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Ha! Enjoy the descent!!! It was hairy enough there last week with the wind and rain - add the ice / snow / slush and mix for an interesting outcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Ha! Enjoy the descent!!! It was hairy enough there last week with the wind and rain - add the ice / snow / slush and mix for an interesting outcome!
    Its a great descent. Really tests the balance and bike handling. Some people have even been known to take their feet off the pedals to aid balance!!!! Should be interesting with a bit of ice and snow for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

max Speed 5mph :-(

• Advertisement

Might be a possible for Thursday... will not know until that morning.

Glennamaddy were you up there today?
    Will see what its like on Thurs as at the mo the roads are literally frozen solid. Getting up there wouldnt be a prob getting back down would be treachorous!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Getting up there wouldnt be a prob getting back down would be treachorous!!!!

Treacherous but quick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

was out for an hour last night all over Skerries. Roads fine totally thawed. More hardy than hard and very blowy around the head. Good fun though. No sign of anyone else though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Any good snow covered slopes out that way?

<me is making tobbogans out of skateboards at the mo>...

• Advertisement

was up there for an hour today and was dissappointling scarce on the 'snow on the ground'. Only seemed to be on the descent which made it fun.
    As I sort of predicated earlier in the thread its the descent back down to Balrothery which was tricky and indeed i went on my hole and slid about 20ft down the road.
    Had thought about going down 'The New Lane' instead but abandonded that idea after about 10ft.
    Still will prob venture up 2morrow aft.

What time and where is this happening? Might just make this today

Schools closing means I'm stuck minding the little 'uns

Lawdie wrote: »
    What time and where is this happening? Might just make this today

Lawdie, I may just have to put my senisible hat on today and say that it may not be worth it. If I do it will be a last min decision. where are you coming from?

Lawdie, I may just have to put my senisible hat on today and say that it may not be worth it. If I do it will be a last min decision. where are you coming from?

About 8km from Ardgillian. Yep pretty mad out there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Anyone fancy a few laps around Ardgillan tomorrow morning in lieu of the Swords 8.30 spin? MTB or cyclo-cross bikes?

may fancy it alrite. Should be pretty white up there now.

Tomorrow would be good. What time? and Cross or MTB?? I'd favour MTB's at the moment..

early but not too early.

I was thinking 9am. The missus expects me to be gone at that time every Saturday

• Advertisement

Is the park open at 9am?

not open till 10am.http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/ParksHeritageProperties/ArdgillanDemesneRegionalPark/

even if we did 'ahem' get in before then the wardens would have a ****e haemmorage if they caught us.

10am on my MTB then. I will text Robfowl is there is any deviation from that
    Cheers

sounds good for me. Meet up in the top carpark?

Goodstuff. Are the roads up to it cycleable? I have 4x4 if anyone wants a lift from Balrothery or Skerries?

should be as the roads seem to be thawing out.Will take a drive up there later and let you know

The road up from Balrothery is ok till about halfway up then deteriorates. From cross of the cage all the way down Killalane is lethal.

Is this going ahead for 10am?

Shaungil and I will be there. No snow/ice in Skerries

• Advertisement

well I am up and having my brekkie so good chance I will be there. Havent heard from Rob Fowl yet.

Lawdie wrote: »
    Is this going ahead for 10am?
    Yes

Enjoyable morning. Though did get very slippery as the morning worn on. Looks like I forgot to bring my sense of balance out with me :o. Certainly the lungs got a decent workout.

Great session and a nice cup of tea afterwards with the gentry. Even though I was the only one getting through the Caburys Shortcakes!

Thanks again, stick up the photos when you get a chance.

Its a great bit of circuit. Great downhill and quite tricky in the snow, loads of fun across the bottom and then a big pull back up to the top to meet Shaungils misery requirement. Anyone know where he gets his pat the baker overshoes? I have to get a pair of those for Christmas.

33835_466384543316_560318316_5735104_7580119_n.jpg
    Post coffee stop
    36273_466384613316_560318316_5735105_7422251_n.jpg
    BCMF suggests more pain
    162634_466384683316_560318316_5735107_5688812_n.jpg
    The end is nigh
    155388_466384733316_560318316_5735108_1715898_n.jpg
    Bessy gets a break
    148295_466384788316_560318316_5735110_5180142_n.jpg
    BCMF finally takes my advice on tyre pressures....
    155105_466384888316_560318316_5735114_3224942_n.jpg
    RobFowl after Raam's fashion advice.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

Hi lads,

That looks like a good laught. I would love to head today for a spin.
    Would you be able to give me some direction on how to get started onto the trail. I will be coming from lusk. I assume the carpark is the best place to start.

Cheers
    Mark

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

themoney wrote: »
    Hi lads,

That looks like a good laught. I would love to head today for a spin.
    Would you be able to give me some direction on how to get started onto the trail. I will be coming from lusk. I assume the carpark is the best place to start.

Cheers
    Mark
    Yes, start in the main car-park. The trail is signposted - it's clockwise. Head towards the castle from the car park, and at the top of the hill the road heads down to the castle, and the trail starts to the left

That's great cheers for the quick reply.
    One last question how long does it take

Thank again
    Mark

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

themoney wrote: »
    That's great cheers for the quick reply.
    One last question how long does it take

Thank again
    Mark
    It's only about 3km in length, so should not take too long for a circuit

It was never designed to be anything technical - it's simply a trail around the park that they put in place when the opened it up to cyclists earlier this year. Having said that, there is quite a slope, as it starts about 100m above sea level, then descends to near the coast before climbing back up to near the car park.

@ themoney: when we were there yest it started off nice and soft and snowy but y the 3rd lap it had become very very slippery. Excercise a little bit of caution. Also on the approach roads to the castle I would imagine to be very slippery.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the photos. We had just come out of the nice warm coffee shop after 4 laps. So if anyone thinks I'm smiling its actually the earlier sweat meeting an ice cold air. But as noted, BCMF sorted that out by running us UP the slippery section. Nice one :)

well we were riding the tracks so no more of this tarmac nonsense (well that and I knew there was no way the wardens were gonna out of their warm place to chase us and tell us we were going the wrong way).
    And at least I had the dignity of falling off going downhill whereas RobFowl had the indignity of falling off going uphill

Thanks everybody for the replies unfortunately my mates chickened out so I never made it out but I'll try to get out next weekend.

Advertisement