Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt help

Options
  • 29-11-2010 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am new to boards.ie and I am not sure where I should've posted this. I am in €30000 worth of debt between credit cards and loans. My dole has been stopped, they said I'm not entitled to the allowance due to my boyfriend working. But they would not take into consideration that he has a son from a previous relationship that he pays child maintainence for. With the maintainence being paid it brings us down under the minimum amount of income allowed. So where I stand at the minute is that I have all this debt and I have NO income. I am behind in all payments. I have searched for a job but no joy at the minute. I am looking for any advice on what I can do? Does anyone know the minimum amount by law I can pay off each debt per month? I have heard that if you offer the creditor anything at all they have to accept it??? Bankruptcy?? Any help with this would be brill, at my wits end at this stage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Go to MABS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

denmarhar wrote: »
    Hi,

My dole has been stopped, they said I'm not entitled to the allowance due to my boyfriend working.

Go back to the Social Welfare office and appeal. Asked to be accessed on YOUR OWN means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hi,

I am new to boards.ie and I am not sure where I should've posted this. I am in €30000 worth of debt between credit cards and loans. My dole has been stopped, they said I'm not entitled to the allowance due to my boyfriend working. But they would not take into consideration that he has a son from a previous relationship that he pays child maintainence for. With the maintainence being paid it brings us down under the minimum amount of income allowed. So where I stand at the minute is that I have all this debt and I have NO income. I am behind in all payments. I have searched for a job but no joy at the minute. I am looking for any advice on what I can do? Does anyone know the minimum amount by law I can pay off each debt per month? I have heard that if you offer the creditor anything at all they have to accept it??? Bankruptcy?? Any help with this would be brill, at my wits end at this stage!

Is your boyfriend claiming his Tax allowance for the Child maintenance?. It won't make up for your lack of income, but it may help at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

stepbar wrote: »
    Go back to the Social Welfare office and appeal. Asked to be accessed on YOUR OWN means.

She is living with her partner and is viewed as co-habiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Hi,
    <snip>

As 3DataModem has said, you need to contact your local MABS office.

However, in the meantime, as there is a waiting period to talk to them you need to get a statement from Welfare that they are not paying you anything. (Do not have them write the reasons for the refusal, merely that you are not receiving any payment)

Send a copy of this to your each of your creditors and state that you have "no means" and you are "unable to make any reductions in your liabilities right now" and that you are seeking advice from MABS.

I would not recommend looking into the bankruptcy route, you would be unable to get credit for at least seven years.

On a final note, you need to keep your partner out of this, you should not mention him in any communication with your creditors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement