Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays TV licence - tenants or landlord?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

We've been renting a house since September and we got a notice saying we had to pay the tv licence there last week (it was adressed to the landlord). It costs 160 euro. There's 5 of us so that would be 32 euro each. The landlord says we have to pay it but isnt it the person who owns the tv the one who has to pay the tv licence? Also isnt the tv licence meant to be payed yearly? We'll only be here for 9 months, from September to May. Also I'll be leaving for coop in January so would I be entitled to pay less?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The license is transferrable, so if you get it in one of your names that person will be able to transfer it to their next address in 9 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

From anpost.ie
    Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself

If you move home, you can log on to our Online Service to change your Personal Details or notify your local TV Licence Record Office and they will amend your licence to your new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my understanding ....if you rented place with a TV - landlord is responsible for paying TV licence.

if there was no TV when you moved in - you are responsible for TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Normally it's the tenant that pays. If it's a case of the LL left the tv in the property and you don't want to pay the tv licence then ask them to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's up to you to have the TV removed if you don't want to pay a TV license, otherwise you cough up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If there is a TV in your property, regardless of who owns it, you have to pay the TV licence, not the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

murphym7 wrote: »
    The PC monitor is not a TV so you don't need a TV license.

true but if the monitor is attached to a pc with a tv card then it is considered a TV for licence purposes.

as for the OP's question. Your responsible you can see the quote form the an post website that says the person resident is reponsible despite who owns the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

D3PO wrote: »

as for the OP's question. Your responsible you can see the quote form the an post website that says the person resident is reponsible despite who owns the tv.

i pay for the TV licence in my property - its a relatively small amount, i factor it into the rent so its not as if i'm really paying for it, and it means there are never any arguments over which tennents should pay for it or problems with tennants not paying for it.

its just much easier all round if i do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

PCPhoto wrote: »
    my understanding ....if you rented place with a TV - landlord is responsible for paying TV licence.

if there was no TV when you moved in - you are responsible for TV licence.

Would the same logic apply to the fridge? Is your LL responsible for keeping the content up to date with that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

U also have to pay if you have a radio or computer. I think it's qualified as any device that can recieve a broadcast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

U also have to pay if you have a radio
    You dont need a licence for a radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

As far as I know tenant pays, check out http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/tvlicence250108.htm . If you pay tv licence you can amend it later to the new address you move to or so the website says. If none of you pay licence and a tv licence inspector calls its up to the person who answers the door to provide tv licence and that is the name that is taken if it goes to court

As far as I know does not matter who owns tv, up to person living there to ensure there is a licence

When it comes to splitting the bill, its up to tenants. AnPost dont care as long as its paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Out of interest, how do they "call to the door" in private apartment blocks? Do they have access to the complex/blocks?

From personal experience yes, I renewed at local PO. Some time lag in paper work, in any case TV inspector called on a Friday afternoon when in fact I had a TV licence and left a note to say he had called.It was only 5 days after it was due. I think some delay in paper work or something as I had it. Would have like to meet him and show him licence, would have liked to see his reaction. I dont honestly know how he got past security door

CiaranC wrote: »
    Out of interest, how do they "call to the door" in private apartment blocks? Do they have access to the complex/blocks?

Same way the postman gets into apartment blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

CiaranC wrote: »
    Someone generally lets them in usually unknowingly I would assume.

axer wrote: »
    Someone generally lets them in usually unknowingly I would assume.

They are empolyed by An Post and they enter the same way the Postman enters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Don't they need a name to actually send the summons to? couldnt a person give a fake name if they answered the door to the licence inspector. i dont understand how someone can be charged if they havent given a name.

Once you needed a radio licence, but thats gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Posts moved.

Advertisement