Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective c-section

• 29-11-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to get an elective c-section in Ireland and is there any health insurers that cover this? Any help or advice you could give me would be gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Depends on your reason for wanting one, and to a lesser extent the hospital you go to.
    It is said (and I have no official stats for this) that it is easier to get an elective c-section in Mount Carmel, and/ or when going private. But generally, you'd need at least some reason, for example having had a previous c-section or traumatic vaginal birth, ilness which could be transfered onto baby during labour etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Mount Carmel definately has a higher C-Section rate, as does Private patients.

May I ask why you want to have a C-Section?

Is this your first baby?

If this is your first baby and you think that a section might be easier than labour, just remember that a section is actually major surgery. If you have even minor surgery for anything else you are given a few days to rest and a week off work to get over it and recover. After a section you might be given a few hours to sleep, but then you are into the full time job of being a mum. If you want to breastfeed, expect to be feeding every 2 hours in the beginning. With every feed usually comes a nappy change. And don't forget all the family and friends who will want to visit you in the first few weeks and days.

Yes a section might be the easier option for the birth, but it sure isn't the easier option in the long run.

If this isn't your first baby and you had a traumatic delivery in the past, some consultants will consider a section for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Crazy is correct- I have had a non-emergency c-section first time (for twins that were overdue), and VBAC- vaginal birth after c-section- second time, and while waiting for labor to start naturally can be hard, and the pain is... well, pain, at least it is a means to an end and will be over in a few hours, whereas c-section recovery takes weeks. Having experienced both, I'd take vaginal birth over c-section anytime!

In terms of insurance, they will pay for what the doctor recommends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've had both and would go for a vaginal birth any day (I had an emergency c section on the first).

Although there is a poster here who pushed and had an elective c section on her first child, but she was either private or semi private in the Rotunda, can't remember which.

Advertisement