Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advantages/ Disadvantages of Joining The Reserves before Full Time AGS

• 24-10-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I'm splitting the discussions from other threads into this one for the discussion of this topic. Please discuss with respect for other posters with differing opinions. I will be closing this thread and handing out appropriate punishments if it deteriorates into a slagging match. Normal boards rules and Garda Recruitment Charter apply so please read if you are not familiar with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

Im not a reserve my self, i cant because i work in a pub, but i've talked to enough people, a super, a chief super, and some1 in the appointments office who all said being a garda reserve is like having a foot in the door as regards the interview and background checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

There are over 160 people with meds and pct completed and waiting to be called for a full time position in AGS. Alot of people would probably think that there was no point in applying for the reserves when they had been accepted into full time training. You couldn't blame them really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

eroo wrote: »
    Please explain this ridiculous statement.

I for one have had enough of your smart comments regarding Reserves. We are not called 'reservists', we are Garda Reserves btw.

The ridiculous statement pertains to the vast number of people joining the 'Garda Reserves' in the hope of it assisting their applications to AGS, to get a foot in the door, as it was phrased earlier.

Ya'see so long as people continue to join the 'Garda Reserves', the DoJ will continue to have an alternative to recruiting new Gardaí.
    PJ Stones recent statment brought this belief closer to reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

The ridiculous statement pertains to the vast number of people joining the 'Garda Reserves' in the hope of it assisting their applications to AGS, to get a foot in the door, as it was phrased earlier.

Ya'see so long as people continue to join the 'Garda Reserves', the DoJ will continue to have an alternative to recruiting new Gardaí.
    PJ Stones recent statment brought this belief closer to reality.

It is not an alternative and never has been viewed as that. Recruitment for the Reserve will be stopping in 2012.

It is not an alternative and never has been viewed as that. Recruitment for the Reserve will be stopping in 2012.

No, it's not supposed to be an alternative.

But continuing to hire "unpaid, improperly trained volunteers in place of real policing*" while the Gardaí numbers dwindle, is not only damning of the DoJ, but highly suspect too.

*qoute from PJ Stone.

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks the idea that the Garda Reserve is being pushed forward as an alternative to full time members is being naive.

PJ Stone hasn't exactly done much good for AGS rank and file either.

To those of you waiting and who are at this stage probably heartbroken I have one bit of advice: apply to join the Garda Reserve. I know how demoralised and let down you feel. Like yourselves, I have the bad days and the few good days as of late. But hear me out anyway!

Unless you are working 40+ hours and have a family to look after, I don't see why you don't/can't join the GR. You all say you want a career in policing, then why not get involved in policing? I couldn't wait for a recruitment campaign to start so that's exactly what I did.

It may be part time(minimum of 4 hours a week or 8 every 2 weeks!) and your role can be limited, but it is great to be able to get out there with full time members and see what their job is like; the paperwork, the long hours, the quick changeover, the long quiet shifts and the hectic ones, the abuse they get, the little gratitude received but above all what it is like to be working on a unit.

The experience you get is priceless and I have no qualms in saying most Reserves are much better prepared for joining the full time than non members. That is a simple fact.

I'm not trying to demoralise you, in fact the opposite! You don't have to wait 4 years to get involved in policing, by joining the Reserve it fuels your ambition to get there, it gives you hope and it makes it a little bit easier to wait.

So go for it is my advice, and most importantly.. don't give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Fair Play Eroo! I applied like months ago rang them last Friday and rang them again today...They told me the whole area was sent home 2day because of a health and safety issue...Do you know when you go on publicjobs and select "Garda Reserve" as job alert do they actually get back to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    Fair Play Eroo! I applied like months ago rang them last Friday and rang them again today...They told me the whole area was sent home 2day because of a health and safety issue...Do you know when you go on publicjobs and select "Garda Reserve" as job alert do they actually get back to you?

Dont wanna sound negative in anyway, but its a horrible wait. Im waiting 14months now, still to do medical....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 upthekingdom

I applied for for the reserves last year when they actually had the proper application forms and i still didnt get a call...:rolleyes: i thought it was just me... seems to be a huge backlog in the system...I brought it to the attention of my local td about a recruitment drive the weekend so fingers crossed he will start drawing it to their attention on our behalf... he is to get back to me during the week with news so hopefully it will be positive..!!:D

• Advertisement

Ruairi88 wrote: »

Yes they will get back to you about dates for interviews in your area.

Anyway, have a look at the GR recruitment forum before Blue Belle gives me a spanking!:D

Anyone who thinks the idea that the Garda Reserve is being pushed forward as an alternative to full time members is being naive. .

And I believe anyone that thinks otherwise is being naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Senordingdong i agree with you 100% that the presence of extra reserves on the street is being used as a smoke screen to make it look like there's a presence on the streets. it's a dangerous game for ahern to play, i used to work in a premises that was robbed, thieves ran out the door into two reserves who didnt even bother giving chase. when i asked why, one replied that they're not paid so weren't going to risk it. ahern thinks this will protect the public? OPEN TEMPLEMORE TO TRAINEES NOW!!

C-J wrote: »
    Senordingdong i agree with you 100% that the presence of extra reserves on the street is being used as a smoke screen to make it look like there's a presence on the streets. it's a dangerous game for ahern to play, i used to work in a premises that was robbed, thieves ran out the door into two reserves who didnt even bother giving chase. when i asked why, one replied that they're not paid so weren't going to risk it. ahern thinks this will protect the public? OPEN TEMPLEMORE TO TRAINEES NOW!!

That is a very sad attitude you have in that post. Attacking the credibility of Reserves based on one experince isn't fair. Also, I find your story hard to believe as 2 Reserves would never be sent out together.. ever. That sort of post I would expect from After Hours!

@Senordingdong, we'll agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

Just to let anyone who is thinking of joining the gr know, if you work in a pub, hotel, night club, or any licenced premises you can't join. It's the only reason im not in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

An awful lot of pressure seems to be being put on people to join the reserves over the past few weeks here..If people do not want to join the reserves they should be respected for that. It does not mean they do not want to become a member of AGS any less.

I want to become a full time member of AGS and have been waiting over 2 years to start training. I will NOT be joining the reserve! and here are my reasons for it.

I work a 40 hour week, and I work very hard. Therefore my spare time is quite precious and I like to use it to relax, spend time with family and friends etc. I do not want to use ANY of my free time taking sh!t from anyone on the street and not getting paid for it. I do not want to get up at 5am to do a shift and not get paid for it. Who would take joy from this!?

If joining the reserves does prove to get canditiates into the full time force quicker, then so be it. But it still wont make me join. I have too much pride in myself to be dealing with the scum of Dublin, not to get paid for it. This is a form of SLAVERY imo and people shouldnt lower themselves to it. It is the governments way of doing things on the cheap and abusing people.

No matter how much anyone says they love their job, I can guarantee you they would not do it for nothing.

If I wanted a debate on the Reserves I'd go to that forum. This is the waiting room for those who have everything done for full time membership and want to talk about relevant issues not the Reserves which are frankly irrelevant

Your attitudes, I hope, will change if you do get in to the full time. You wont be long realising every extra body helps.

Your attitudes, I hope, will change if you do get in to the full time. You wont be long realising every extra body helps.

Of course extra bodies help - like in any job - we are crying out for extra staff in my job, I wouldnt expect anyone to come in and work for free though

Devil08 wrote: »
    Of course extra bodies help - like in any job - we are crying out for extra staff in my job, I wouldnt expect anyone to come in and work for free though

If we all took that approach, i.e. don't bother volunteering, the country would be even worse off.

I, and most other Reserves, do it because we want to get involved in policing and maybe we enjoy the thought of putting on a uniform stacked with pride and tradition, and honouring that as best we can? I actually prefer the Reserve to my own job and as such put in a lot of time, because I enjoy it. I have PRIDE in wearing that uniform. We don't do it for free either, you get expenses(granted not much).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

I probably cant join the reserves because of my job, but i dont think i would either. I work a 42.5 hour week, all nights, all weekends and dealing with drunk idiots who wanna give me abuse and start fights with me, i dont need that on my time off. Im sure the reserves would be a great learning curve for potential full-timers or a good form of volunteer for those who it suits.

I work long very unsociable hours for little money and get abused,threatened and unfortunately sometimes attacked for just doing my job and i want my time off to relax. I applied for the full-time and intend to proceed with that, i wont be applying for the reserves, but good luck to anyone who does.

@eroo- whether reserves are better prepared or not doesnt really matter, we all do the same exams at the end of the day, and its up to the individual to perform.

shakin wrote: »
    @eroo- whether reserves are better prepared or not doesnt really matter, we all do the same exams at the end of the day, and its up to the individual to perform.

While I agree in one sense, I don't think Reserves going through the same process is right. Anyway, doesn't matter. I understand where you are coming from with work.

@Senordingdong, we'll agree to disagree.

Ofcourse, but one other thing I would like to say is, imagine for a second, if tomorrow, every member of the reserve quit, and every member of the public, uniformly refused to join the reserve force...what would happen?

I believe the truth about the dwindling numbers would be exposed, and DoJ would no longer have a figure spinning smoke screen to hide behind.

I agree that people passionate about the job can be drawn to the reserve force, but I believe the DoJ are exploiting these peoples good intentions to save some money.

Push came to shove for me and I put my name down for the reserve, on top of my already hectic schedule. But it shouldn't in any way help towards my AGS application.
    Much the same way the reserves shouldn't be used as a police substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

If we all took that approach, i.e. don't bother volunteering, the country would be even worse off.

I, and most other Reserves, do it because we want to get involved in policing and maybe we enjoy the thought of putting on a uniform stacked with pride and tradition, and honouring that as best we can? I actually prefer the Reserve to my own job and as such put in a lot of time, because I enjoy it. I have PRIDE in wearing that uniform. We don't do it for free either, you get expenses(granted not much).

I have to disagree with you eroo on the reasons for most reserves joining. Your reasons for joining are genuine, however, you know that most people have joined since the moratorium was brought in under the influence they will walk into the full time AGS ahead of anyone else.
    I personally know 5 lads that joined since I applied for full time AGS and they are all convinced they will be in before me and don't understand the recruitment process at all.
    Everyone has to sit the same exams and pass them to get an interview, which is the only time being in the reserves will be of benefit during the recruitment process.
    I'm not knocking the reserves and have a lot of respect for people like you joining for honest reasons, but its those under the false hope of walking into the AGS full time that I feel sorry for because they are going to be used and abused by this government.
    What happens in the next drive when everyone applies to join AGS full time, they will not be taking 1500 reserves in and be left with none, beats the whole purpose of having garda reserves.If anything I can see them introducing a cap on the amount of reserves stepping into full time (providing they get enough through the recruitment process).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

I see where you are all coming from when you say that if thee was no reserve, viability would be lower, and a recruitment drive might happen earlier.

However, as we can tell from the newpaper articicles there are more than enough applicants wanting to become reserves for whatever reasons, genuine or misguided.

Given that the reserves are here to stay and the uptake is strong (and God only knows when a recruitment drive when happen), it is time to start thinking about what you can gain personally and not care about the big pictue as it will not change in the short term.

I would recommend the reserves for a couple of reason.

1: I'm sure it wouldn't do any harm in the interview
    2: We're waiting long enough for something we're pretty sure we understand. this is a way to confirm and be 100% sure.
    3: The limited training and experience can only help when we do finally get to Templemore.

Thats just my opinion. Obviously it isn't going to suit everybody, but I don't think it should be knocked becasue the GRA aren't 100% behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Hugo13

I've made a preliminary application to join the Reserve,does anybody know how long it would take before I hear back/get an interview, or even when I might get offered a place (assuming I was successful)

Thanks in advance.

I don't agree with the notion that reserves are here to stay. With the commissioner ready to retire in very near future, his replacement may very well have a different way of operating, and let's remember that the majority of old school gardai have no time for the reserves whatsoever. By that i mean the actual concept behind reserves and not the individuals themselves obviously so don't go attacking!

I don't agree with the notion that reserves are here to stay. With the commissioner ready to retire in very near future, his replacement may very well have a different way of operating, and let's remember that the majority of old school gardai have no time for the reserves whatsoever. By that i mean the actual concept behind reserves and not the individuals themselves obviously so don't go attacking!

The Garda Reserve will not be scrapped. That is fact. I understand your feelings because you have not heard anymore after waiting for 2 years but I think your posts are a little unfair towards the GR. I'm not having a go at you, but you are very dismissive of something you don't really know anything about.

I agree that Reserves have limited powers but any senior members I know have told me it is a great thing for blooding those who want to become full time members. You can't buy experience as they say!

The Garda Reserve will not be scrapped. That is fact. I understand your feelings because you have not heard anymore after waiting for 2 years but I think your posts are a little unfair towards the GR. I'm not having a go at you, but you are very dismissive of something you don't really know anything about.

!

i'd rather not to be dismissed as 'not knowing anything about it', i come from a family of high ranking gardai and civil servants, i've been through ags interview process and have been offered a place which i deferred and i am a lawyer. However i will take up my grievances with the appropriate channels.

• Advertisement

i'd rather not to be dismissed as 'not knowing anything about it', i come from a family of high ranking gardai and civil servants, i've been through ags interview process and have been offered a place which i deferred and i am a lawyer. However i will take up my grievances with the appropriate channels.

That's fine, but I am right in saying you don't really know anything about the Garda Reserve, regardless of who you know or what you are. So I don't think it's fair for you dismiss it as a failed concept that should be scrapped when it is actually a great resource for blooding potential full time members.

Geansai wrote: »
    Thats just my opinion. Obviously it isn't going to suit everybody, but I don't think it should be knocked becasue the GRA aren't 100% behind it.

The GRA are for want of a better term, the voice of the Gardaí...so basically put, AGS are by and large, against the reserve force.

You don't think that carries any merit?

That's fine, but I am right in saying you don't really know anything about the Garda Reserve, regardless of who you know or what you are. So I don't think it's fair for you dismiss it as a failed concept that should be scrapped when it is actually a great resource for blooding potential full time members.

i never said it's a failed concept, i'm saying that if it went to a vote of serving ags members then a high majority would vote against the reserves. That's just my opinion and i thought that's what these boards are here for. It's seeming a bit dictatorial at the moment, your way or the highway

it is actually a great resource for blooding potential full time members.

If that's the case then surely AGS training should have been reformed instead?

My original understanding was that GR was to take over things like clerical and administrative station work, traffic managment etc...

As a member can you clarify if this is the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

I think reserves should get full garda powers of arrest but only when on duty. However they are not a substitute for the full time Gardai!! I joined the reserves for the expierence I could earn before joining the full time Gardai. (Although im still waiting for medical)

Think about it would a full time member be happier with a reserve who has his back and can arrest someone with full garda powers are the reserves now who are limited in what they can do. Which ive read makes some guards uncomfortable on patrol with them. Even reserves from what ive read are frustrated at the lack of help they can give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    I think reserves shouls get full garda powers of arrest but only when on duty. However they are not a substitute for the full time Gardai!! I joined the reserves for the expierence I could earn before joining the full time Gardai. (Although im still waiting for medical)

Think about it would a full time member be happier with a reserve who has his back and can arrest someone with full garda powers are the reserves now who are limited in what they can do. Which ive read makes some guards uncomfortable on patrol with them. Even reserves from what ive read are frustrated at the lack of help they can give.

Go easy lads, new to the forum..:D:cool:

Flash gets on knees and prays for tyron jara:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

da__flash wrote: »
    Go easy lads, new to the forum..:D:cool:

Flash gets on knees and prays for tyron jara:P
    haha :P Well this is a forum to voice opinions it be nice to hear other peoples :D

What do you think yourself?:)

i never said it's a failed concept, i'm saying that if it went to a vote of serving ags members then a high majority would vote against the reserves. That's just my opinion and i thought that's what these boards are here for. It's seeming a bit dictatorial at the moment, your way or the highway
    Yes you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to disagree with it. You claim a 'high majority' would vote against it? On what basis? Your not a member, full time or reserve, and are going on pure speculation. Any member I have met fully supports the GR as a way of getting people experience for the full time, and as extra manpower on units.
    The GRA are for want of a better term, the voice of the Gardaí...so basically put, AGS are by and large, against the reserve force.

You don't think that carries any merit?
    No I disagree because the majority of Gardai diagreed with their calls for looking into strike action.
    My original understanding was that GR was to take over things like clerical and administrative station work, traffic managment etc...

As a member can you clarify if this is the case?

Reserve Gardai can undertake some administrative work such as passport and age card applications, as well as working in communications(dealing with 999 calls etc). Reserves can also be involved in traffic management, but as with most duties outside the station must be accompanied by a full time member.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mbeire

As a former Garda reserve, now full time member I can happily say that there are no disadvantages to been a competent Garda Reserve.
    I spent over a year as a reserve, and I was the first ever reserve on the unit I was assigned. Prior to my arrival to the station there was one other reserve, and this was a Divisional headquarters, not some small rural station.

I had to build up the trust, gain the respect of my unit, and prove to them that whatever stereotype image they had of reserves in their head was not me.
    The regular members judged me on my abilities, firstly to protect their back, protect myself, and at the same time do the job in a professional and competent manner. When I proved this they never had any issues.

The more hours I had under my belt the more rope I was given. I was mainly either on the beat or observer in an extra third car. That was usually a proactive patrol and backing up other cars so we never really had to take any calls, unless they were urgent, therefore the driver would never be left with the paperwork of two Gardaí. The driver would love the opportunity to get on mobile patrol, so it was never like he was been sent out with me.

I built up a good relationship with my unit and the station itself. I also assisted specialist units on specific tasks which was a great opportunity and privilege for a reserve to do.
    At no point did I feel used or left out while been a reserve. I was invited out to every event that the unit went to, birthdays, barbeques, Christmas parties, or just a general night on the town.

When I finally got the call to start full time the unit organised a Leaving party for me before I left which I feel shows their acceptance to me. To this day they still keep in contact with me.

The advantage of been a reserve prior to joining fulltime showed up hugely while in fulltime training. When we were been front loaded and taught all the laws, which I hadn’t be taught as a reserve, I could relate back to it from my experience on the streets as a reserves. This meant that I was able to learn all the legislation and procedures much quicker and remember it easier, compared to the person who sat either side of me.

They would often just blank out and go what the “What the hell is he on about?” I would go explain to him how, it would be used operationally, and it would give him some understanding of what he was been taught.

If you’re thinking of joining Fulltime then I suggest that you join the reserves first. It will be an invaluable investment in your career as a Garda or even just in your life in general. You don’t have even a slight idea of the work the Gardaí do, looking in from the outside. You have to join to see what happens in the communities and towns around Ireland.

Every new Garda to a station, whether he or she has transferred from another station or just fresh from Templemore is judged on their way they ability to do the job. This is the same for the fulltime members and reserves members. If you can’t do the job then it doesn’t matter whether you’re a reserve or full timer.

The only disadvantage to joining the reserve is not joining, as you lose out. If you can’t join to family commitments then you’re in for a wakeup call when you join fulltime, it’s not really a family friendly job unless you get into a specialised area after 4-5 years. And that’s with fierce competition.

No I disagree because the majority of Gardai diagreed with their calls for looking into strike action.
    Yeah I'll give you that. Though I don't think we'll ever get a definite figure on this.
    Reserve Gardai can undertake some administrative work such as passport and age card applications, as well as working in communications(dealing with 999 calls etc). Reserves can also be involved in traffic management, but as with most duties outside the station must be accompanied by a full time member.

So they're not really alleviating Gardaí on station duty to be put out on the streets more? They are infact being put on the streets themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Yeah I'll give you that. Though I don't think we'll ever get a definite figure on this.
    So they're not really alleviating Gardaí on station duty to be put out on the streets more? They are infact being put on the streets themselves?
    Well, that was never really the point. Afaik there have been civilians recruited to assist in some of the less sensitive paperwork to allow more gardai on the streets. This might be what you're referring to as opposed to the garda reserve?

• Advertisement

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Well, that was never really the point. Afaik there have been civilians recruited to assist in some of the less sensitive paperwork to allow more gardai on the streets. This might be what you're referring to as opposed to the garda reserve?
    Got it one Blue Belle!

That was the aim all along.

Thanks mbeire for a very informative post. Hope to follow in your footsteps someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mbeire

Thanks mbeire for a very informative post. Hope to follow in your footsteps someday!

Glad to be of some sort of assistance eroo. Feel free to ask any question you have.

You should have no problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 reg121corp

regarding the title of this topic just to let ye know there is no disadvantge of joining the reserve to join the full time it is practically the best way possible and anyone lucky enough to get selected to join the reserve will have a great chance as you are aware there is talk of nearly 10000 people applying for the next recruitment i will gaurentee you one thing it will do no harm what so ever

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭adrian2

im in it myself at the moment and i definitely think it gives you an eye opener on whether this job is suited for you,the variety of the job and the specialist units have always been my dream aspect of the job and so i dont know if it will help those of us waiting to get in to the full times come interview day but it should surely be used as a litmus test to see whos had an interest in the organisation apart from someone who needs a job desperately and likes the sound of the job security aspect!im new to this so dont be too critical!

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Devil08 wrote: »
    Maybe do a first aid course, get your driving licence, practice the apptitude tests, join a gym and get fit and strong. Maybe do a lifesaving course. All costs money but if you have a few quid to spare and have the time id do everything you can.

Good move to apply to the GR. Am sure that when you finally get in front of the Public Service interview board that they ask the following:

1 Are you member of the Garda Reserve
    2. Have you applied to the Garda Reserve

And if the answer is No you will need to have a good reason for not doing so.

Stands to reason that somone who has gone to great lenghts to join the GR and gain some valuable experience will be a better candidate that somone who has not. A lot less chance of them leaving the training process or the job when they graduate as their experience within the Reserve will have prepared them for the rigours of the full time position. This will avoid the situation where expenditure is wasted on trainees in Templemore who decide after a short time that its not for them and will ensure that places go to those who are really interested in pursuing a career in policing.

It may become a pre-requisite in the future that you must be a member of the Reserve in order to be considered for the full time. Not saying that this is the case just a possible maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Raider190 wrote: »
    Good move to apply to the GR. Am sure that when you finally get in front of the Public Service interview board that they ask the following:

1 Are you member of the Garda Reserve
    2. Have you applied to the Garda Reserve

And if the answer is No you will need to have a good reason for not doing so.

Stands to reason that somone who has gone to great lenghts to join the GR and gain some valuable experience will be a better candidate that somone who has not. A lot less chance of them leaving the training process or the job when they graduate as their experience within the Reserve will have prepared them for the rigours of the full time position. This will avoid the situation where expenditure is wasted on trainees in Templemore who decide after a short time that its not for them and will ensure that places go to those who are really interested in pursuing a career in policing.

It may become a pre-requisite in the future that you must be a member of the Reserve in order to be considered for the full time. Not saying that this is the case just a possible maybe.

Afraid your wrong. They dont ask about Garda Reserve it would be up to you to raise the issue when you fill in the form about your experience and various skills.
    Also in the passed with some older retired gaurds on the interview panel it was not a good thing to be a reserve as they have a different look at an organisation they see as taking work away from full time gardai.
    There are also loads of reasons why people cant join reserves, ie work or family issues so it will never become a "pre-requisite" in the future.
    Not my own opinion but I know people it has gone against and when I did interview I wasnt asked once about reserves.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

itsallgood wrote: »
    Afraid your wrong. They dont ask about Garda Reserve it would be up to you to raise the issue when you fill in the form about your experience and various skills.
    Also in the passed with some older retired gaurds on the interview panel it was not a good thing to be a reserve as they have a different look at an organisation they see as taking work away from full time gardai.
    There are also loads of reasons why people cant join reserves, ie work or family issues so it will never become a "pre-requisite" in the future.
    Not my own opinion but I know people it has gone against and when I did interview I wasnt asked once about reserves.

Thats why the panel is made up of 3 individuals ,civil servants and one retired senior officers so that the decision is a consencus and not based on 1 individuals biased opinion. And lets face it public service is public service and if you want to differentiate yourself from the other hundreds of candidates then the GR is a good place to start.

And yes there are lots of reasons why people cant join the GR but it will always be a plus it you can prove to a panel that you are committed to your career and how better than to be devoting some of your free time to gain experience in order to assess if this is the career for you.

itsallgood wrote: »

couldn't agree with this post more. You basically tick a box on your form as to whether you're in reserves, i wasn't ever asked anything remotely connected to reserves in my interview and i don't know a single person who was asked about it. It's a personal choice but i wouldn't force membership down anyone's throat. I personally have no interest in joining reserves whatsoever, but that's just me. Go for it if you think it'll help your application but i think your interview should be based on your achievements on a personal level, your general demeanour and suitability for the job

I was asked about the reserves in my interview. Was asked if I wanted to be a Garda so much why didnt I try the reserves...I just told them that I had too many other commitments and that I didnt have the time to join the reserves. They said that was fine and moved on...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

If you are lucky enough to be on this famous panel of 160 or so with everything done, then being a Reserve Garda is not an issue.

If you are waiting to start the whole process then being one or at least having applied could be the small difference between your interview making the grade ahead of other applicants.

The interview panel was made up of two people in May '08, not three.

They have the discretion of asking the question about the Reserves. It could be as simple as they deciding that your interview was as good as they wanted and asking extra questions, that they already knew the answer to anyway, was unnecessary.

The Reserve force is different now in lots of small ways compared to when it first started. It will no doubt be different in a lot of ways in 5 or 10 years time. There could be a strong link between the Reserves and recruitment to the full time force by then. Nobody really knows.

It is wrong to dismiss the possible benifits that being a Reserve Garda would bring to the selection and training process for becoming a full time member. Dont knock it until you have tried it.

The way the country is at the moment and for the next 10 years by the looks of things, the Reserves could be as close as many of us in this "waiting room" get to Templemore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement