Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advantages/ Disadvantages of Joining The Reserves before Full Time AGS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭michealc_87

Devil08 wrote: »
    I was asked about the reserves in my interview. Was asked if I wanted to be a Garda so much why didnt I try the reserves...I just told them that I had too many other commitments and that I didnt have the time to join the reserves. They said that was fine and moved on...

I got asked about the reserves in my interview also. I too answered it in pretty much the same way, he acccepted it and moved on. If I wasnt waiting for my med and pct but was waiting to apply for the next competition I would join the GR, well try to anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Reserve Garda members are always going to be ahead of non garda members in the interview for the fulltime

simply because,

Reserve members have experience as operational gardai, they have been trained by the Garda College, they have a working knowledge of the law and operational policing and they have dedicated their own time to this cause

any retired member who sits on the panel or what ever civil servant who also sits there on the panel will realise, that a reserve member who is willing to give up his/her own time in order to be better prepared for a fulltime position, is worth more than someone who isnt.

any previous prejudice against the reserve should become null and void due to their desire to join fulltime.

and thats the only way it should be

anyone who cant join the reserve due to other commitments, family life etc - well thats fine. no problem. but accept that your not as experienced within the realms of operational policing and due to that, your at a disadvantage compared to attested reserve members

makes perfect sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

There is a seperate thread set up for Garda Reserve debate.

However, It doesnt come into it at all though duing the recruitment process.

The requirements are clearly set out. Once you meet them, pass the initial testing, and do well at interview then you will be placed on the panel. You are at no point being judged against other candidates in terms of their experience in Garda Reserve etc.

Being in the Reserves will not get you into the full time force any easier. Those who think it will, are simply brown noses.

FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Reserve Garda members are always going to be ahead of non garda members in the interview for the fulltime

simply because,

Reserve members have experience as operational gardai, they have been trained by the Garda College, they have a working knowledge of the law and operational policing and they have dedicated their own time to this cause

any retired member who sits on the panel or what ever civil servant who also sits there on the panel will realise, that a reserve member who is willing to give up his/her own time in order to be better prepared for a fulltime position, is worth more than someone who isnt.

any previous prejudice against the reserve should become null and void due to their desire to join fulltime.

and thats the only way it should be

anyone who cant join the reserve due to other commitments, family life etc - well thats fine. no problem. but accept that your not as experienced within the realms of operational policing and due to that, your at a disadvantage compared to attested reserve members

makes perfect sense

Thats all wishful thinking but it doesn't and wont work like that. All candidates are judged as equal.
    Sorry to say but all these people that think they will do better than others not in the reserves wait till you sit down and get through the aptitude tests and rank high enough to qualify for interview stage before you can even talk to anyone about being a reserve.
    I understand that in a perfect world being a reserve would set you up for full time work and maybe that should be the case, but until they introduce a more stringent recruitment campaign for the reserves with aptitude testing it will never work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

There were people with me for interview who were in the reserves who weren't successful. It's presumptious and somewhat childish to think reserve membership will put you ahead of anyone else, in the interview you need two things, a bit of cop on and a passion for what you're hoping to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Think cop on is lacking around here at the moment.

No the Reserves does not guarantee you entry into AGS as a Garda.

Yes you do have a major advantage over non Reserves for the simple fact you have experience of the job, it's various roles and AGS members, and this will stand to you when, hopefully, you get in.

The only advantage I would say reserves have is that if they do get into the full time force, they will be familiar with procedures etc more than someone who isnt a reserve.
    But this isnt a problem to me. Everyone is put through good training both in the college and in a designated station. You arent expected to know everything once you start. Its not like you get extra money because you were a reserve and you know a little more than everyone else! You are still expected to take the same orders and do the exact same job. You have no extra qualifications than any other recruit.

But you have experience. Experience can't be taught.

Anyways, not getting into a p1ssing contest.

Yes reserves have experience. But its experince that any new recruit will easily gain once they start the job. They will catch up in no time. All Gardai have different levels of experience. It doesnt mean they are any better at their jobs. Its all about each individuals character IMO. Not looking for an arguement either so we can just agree to disagree. :p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

C-J wrote: »
    couldn't agree with this post more. You basically tick a box on your form as to whether you're in reserves, i wasn't ever asked anything remotely connected to reserves in my interview and i don't know a single person who was asked about it. It's a personal choice but i wouldn't force membership down anyone's throat. I personally have no interest in joining reserves whatsoever, but that's just me. Go for it if you think it'll help your application but i think your interview should be based on your achievements on a personal level, your general demeanour and suitability for the job

Taken from the Department of Justice powerpoint presentation on thier website. Makes sense if you have had taining and on the street experience that you will be miles ahead of a candidate who hasnt...
    Q. Will service with the reserve be taken into account when people are
    being recruited to full-time service with An Garda Síochána?
    A. Yes. Future Garda Interview Boards will be required to take into account
    the experience gained by candidates who have worked with the Garda Reserve.

The requirements are clearly set out. Once you meet them, pass the initial testing, and do well at interview then you will be placed on the panel. You are at no point being judged against other candidates in terms of their experience in Garda Reserve etc.

Being in the Reserves will not get you into the full time force any easier. Those who think it will, are simply brown noses.

FACT.

Devil from the tone of the post I am assumimg that you are not in the GR and feel it will stand against you. Am I near the truth????

Raider, devil and i are both on the panel waiting to be called, with everything completed. I'd also like you to note that i was in the top 5 as regards my results in all aspects of recruitment and am not a reserve member. You're beginning to irritate me

Raider190 wrote: »
    Devil from the tone of the post I am assumimg that you are not in the GR and feel it will stand against you. Am I near the truth????

Im not in the GR no. I dont feel it would go against me at all or those who are in it. I just feel it holds no added advantage to be in it. Not at this current time anyway. Maybe in the future yes but thats not for me to worry about. Ive been on the panel for 2 years now. It just seems that people are joining the GR thinking that it will get them into the force quicker. This is the wrong reason to be joining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

I think what raider is trying to say is for new applicants who have yet to apply, then the reserves should be an option worth considering. Obviously for anyone who has passed their interview stage, it would be of no further benefit in realtion to their application.

It is clear that joining the reserves will not speed up anyones recruitment process, nor allow anyone to bypass any stage. However, and in my opinion only, it would be a strong point to bring up in the interview. It would show commitment and a desire to learn. It would also show that you used the moratorium time construvtively and actively.

The days of the gardai on the interview panel believing that the reserves are only stealing the jobs for the boys are well and truely passed. Now it is and can only be looked on a a positive contribution to your overall application.

I believe (and I have said this before) that anyone who has yet to apply to for full-time, should definately apply for the reserves. Outside of the application process it would also give you a feel for the job, and ensure it is the correct career for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Taken from the Department of Justice powerpoint presentation on thier website. Makes sense if you have had taining and on the street experience that you will be miles ahead of a candidate who hasnt...

Q. Will service with the reserve be taken into account when people arebeing recruited to full-time service with An Garda Síochána?

Yes. Future Garda Interview Boards will be required to take into account
    the experience gained by candidates who have worked with the Garda Reserve.

S.I. No. 509/2006 — Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) (Amendment) Regulations 2006
    4. Regulation 5(1) of the Principal Regulations is amended by substituting the following for subparagraph (e):
    “(e) he has been notified by the Public Appointments Service that the person has been successful in a competition which-
    (i) includes a competitive interview, and
    (ii) is of such standard and takes into account such matters, including the giving of due recognition to any satisfactory service by the person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána, as the Public Appointments Service, after consultation with the Minister, determines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

Raider, devil and i are both on the panel waiting to be called, with everything completed. I'd also like you to note that i was in the top 5 as regards my results in all aspects of recruitment and am not a reserve member. You're beginning to irritate me

Attack the issue, not the individual.

I would also have thought that offering comment, on something that you have no experience with and have declared you will not even try, is not a skill that will be very useful once you pass through the gates of Templemore. I am more than open to correction on that.

The recruitment and selection process for AGS is complex.
    When you need to be one of the few out of many to make the grade then every little thing you can bring to the table will help your cause.

I dont think anyone here doubts that being in the reserves gives you more of an insight into the day to day operations of the gardai.
    Experience is another thing depending on how you are deployed from your station and the actual time you put into it but none the less it will all stand to you.
    I think the issue here is that there are day dreamers out there that think all they have to do is join the reserves and they are a shoe in for full time gardai.
    You still have to go through the exact same process and pass the same exams as everyone else.
    The whole idea of the garda reserve is now being exploited by people joining for the wrong reasons.
    If reserves got priority over everyone else for the next campaign then we will have no reserves left, if you think your going to walk into the gardai because your a reserve think again.
    Your experience will be taken into account during interview process and you will get recognition for it, just like you do if you do any other charity or community work

I think i'm being misunderstood here, i'm not attacking all members of the reserves, i'm simply saying to those people who have low level of fitness, no qualifications etc who think 'oh well i'm a reserve i'll be grand' that it doesn't always work out that way, and i'm speaking from experience as i know people like that who walked into the interview cocky as hell and came out with their tail between their legs. What i'm saying is don't put all your eggs in one basket and work on other aspects like your fitness as well. Feel like i'm back in school here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fastbowler

I'm waiting with everything done too..how did you discover you were in the top five? If you were in the top five you would have been called before now seeing as the group waiting is the end of a panel....just wondering how you came across this info as even as a former member I wasn't given any indication of placings when asked.

fastbowler wrote: »
    I'm waiting with everything done too..how did you discover you were in the top five? If you were in the top five you would have been called before now seeing as the group waiting is the end of a panel....just wondering how you came across this info as even as a former member I wasn't given any indication of placings when asked.

i was called before this for may 09 intake but i had to defer for personal reasons. The letters you receive stating if you've passed the various stages tell you what percentile you're in, and if you're near the top you're told.

• Advertisement

Everyone was given there placement number and what batch they were in after aptitude tests. It changes again after interview and then file sent to AGS for background checks.
    As checks are complete your put forward to panel for med and pct.
    That panel falls in order of order of merit from previous testing.
    This is not the end of the panel, I was top 10 and wasnt called cause moratorium being introduced meant people were called once meds and pt's complete regardless of order of merit.
    Pct's and meds done around Jan-Apr in 09 were not takrn into account for the last intake in May 09.
    Also there are people waiting from before that so your info regards it being end of panel is wrong. There are over 400 on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭thelongwait

If you were in the top five you would have been called before now seeing as the group waiting is the end of a panel....

I was 4th in my batch, I haven't been called yet. The group waiting IS the panel, not the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 fastbowler

i was called before this for may 09 intake but i had to defer for personal reasons. The letters you receive stating if you've passed the various stages tell you what percentile you're in, and if you're near the top you're told.
    I stand corrected. I have lost interest in the whole thing to be honest but I don't recall being given an exact placement number. When I initially joined back in the early 90's we were told which group we had been placed in. I bow to your superior knowledge on the matter as I am sure others who are on the panel here are going to take their place if and when called. I for one am not, but best of luck to everyone.

Abed wrote: »
    S.I. No. 509/2006 — Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) (Amendment) Regulations 2006
    4. Regulation 5(1) of the Principal Regulations is amended by substituting the following for subparagraph (e):
    “(e) he has been notified by the Public Appointments Service that the person has been successful in a competition which-
    (ii) is of such standard and takes into account such matters, including the giving of due recognition to any satisfactory service by the person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána, as the Public Appointments Service, after consultation with the Minister, determines

Devil , as you can see its in black and white so using the time that you are waiting to aplly to or joining the GR would be proof of your committement

Thanks for that Abed

FACT.

Time will tell but but having some experience at the sharp end is a valuable addition to your CV and when you go through the interview at least you are speaking from a valid experience point of view

itsallgood wrote: »
    Afraid your wrong. They dont ask about Garda Reserve it would be up to you to raise the issue when you fill in the form about your experience and various skills.
    Also in the passed with some older retired gaurds on the interview panel it was not a good thing to be a reserve as they have a different look at an organisation they see as taking work away from full time gardai.
    There are also loads of reasons why people cant join reserves, ie work or family issues so it will never become a "pre-requisite" in the future.
    Not my own opinion but I know people it has gone against and when I did interview I wasnt asked once about reserves.

Check out Abed's recent post , What cant speak cant lie

Devil , as you can see its in black and white so using the time that you are waiting to aplly to or joining the GR would be proof of your committement

Thanks for that Abed

Im on the panel already, I will not be joining the reserve. It will do me no good at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

I think it could go for you or against you. Being in the reserves is not a foot in the door. I certainly wasn't asked about it in my interview, which I subsequently passed. However I think if you have experience in the reserves as part of your scenarios then it would make that part of the interview much stronger, as your scenarios would be very relevant to the position of a Garda.

With regard to this:
    Abed wrote:

perhaps we could get a link for this article? As it stands it means nothing on it's own out of context.
    Although I will say this, if AGS introduced measures to ensure any time spent as a reserve was taken into account when applying for a full time position, my personal opinion would be that it would not necessarily be a foot in the door. It could be the likes of a reference or statement from your Sergeant or Super to see if you are suited to the job. Which you may or may not be.
    I actually think that would be a very positive addition to the recruitment process.

Blue Belle wrote: »
    I think it could go for you or against you.

Just wondering how you feel that it could go against you? Yes, it could go for you by making your scenarios more relevant or showing your desire in actions, as opposed to just words.

At the worst surely it would be completely neutral, as in not benefit you, but I'm not sure how it could go against you.

That article is from 2006. I think it was introduced with the reserves as to try and make sure that being a reserve stood to you if you wanted to join full time.
    Now we all know that didn't happen with previous campaigns with some retired gardai on interview panel against the reserves, hence the reason for changing the interview panel in future campaigns.
    You will get due recognition for it like you will if you mention any charity or community work your involved in.
    Of course it is a benefit to have some experience but at the end of the day you must pass all the exams, interview, back ground checks, medical and pct the same way everyone else has to and being a reserve is not good enough in its self.
    Its not a necessity, most of us waiting on the panel got through it without being in reserves, that was 2008, the article was 2006.:confused::confused::confused:

Anyway, nice to have you back Raider:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Geansai wrote: »
    Just wondering how you feel that it could go against you? Yes, it could go for you by making your scenarios more relevant or showing your desire in actions, as opposed to just words.

At the worst surely it would be completely neutral, as in not benefit you, but I'm not sure how it could go against you.

If your Sergeant/ Super felt, for whatever reason, you were not suited to the position and made representation to that effect.
    I think if they were asked by an interview board if they felt a particular applicant would be an asset to the full time force, they are not going to say yes to every candidate. Surely by law of averages, not every single member of the reserves would make a fantastic Guard in the eyes of their superiors? A statement from a Super saying they did not believe you to be a suitable candidate could really be a deal-breaker.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here, quite possibly they couldn't give you a bad reference, but even a non-glowing one would speak volumes to a retired Super who sits on the interview board and can read between the lines.

The Reserve is not a guarantee. A few Reserves have apparently ruined their chances of joining full time by their actions as a Reserve. As was said, it can go against you or it can benefit you.

From my own viewpoint, I just feel a little annoyed that as a Reserve the experience I have gotten to date and will continue to get wont really assist me in applying for full time. I have opertional policing experience. Yet in the next campaign if I fail an aptitude test, I wouldnt get in but someone with no experience whatsoever, and who may not be suited, will progress. That is wrong in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Blue Belle wrote: »
    If your Sergeant/ Super felt, for whatever reason, you were not suited to the position and made representation to that effect.
    I think if they were asked by an interview board if they felt a particular applicant would be an asset to the full time force, they are not going to say yes to every candidate. Surely by law of averages, not every single member of the reserves would make a fantastic Guard in the eyes of their superiors? A statement from a Super saying they did not believe you to be a suitable candidate could really be a deal-breaker.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here, quite possibly they couldn't give you a bad reference, but even a non-glowing one would speak volumes to a retired Super who sits on the interview board and can read between the lines.

Well said Blue Bell, it truly would be like a double-edged sword.

eroo wrote: »
    The Reserve is not a guarantee. A few Reserves have apparently ruined their chances of joining full time by their actions as a Reserve. As was said, it can go against you or it can benefit you.

From my own viewpoint, I just feel a little annoyed that as a Reserve the experience I have gotten to date and will continue to get wont really assist me in applying for full time. I have opertional policing experience. Yet in the next campaign if I fail an aptitude test, I wouldnt get in but someone with no experience whatsoever, and who may not be suited, will progress. That is wrong in my opinion.

Can understand why you'd feel pissed off, but being a reserve doesn't mean your suited to the job.
    The aptitude testing bring the most suited people to the forefront.
    Its not a test for the sake of it, there are no wrong answers, its purpose is to see if you are suited for the roll or not.

I think this is a really good thing. By becoming a reserve you are showing AGS exactly what you are made of. What kind of a guard you would make and if you think about it, it would be foolish not to take this into consideration when reviewing a candidate. They already have inside info on what you have to offer. Either good or bad.

I can understand your annoyance that with all the extra effort you put in, it doesn't necessarily put you any further ahead in the recruitment process. However, I think everyone would agree that you would have the edge when you get to Templemore. You would have already learned and applied alot of the legislation, aswel as having operational experience under your belt. It would not go to waste.

As for someone not suited to the job progressing in the competition.. The recruitment process is specifically designed to root out applicants that are not suited, so you can be pretty sure they will be weeded out at some stage. It's not a perfect system obviously, so some may fall through the cracks but I don't think there would be a high number of those.

itsallgood wrote: »
    Can understand why you'd feel pissed off, but being a reserve doesn't mean your suited to the job.
    The aptitude testing bring the most suited people to the forefront.
    Its not a test for the sake of it, there are no wrong answers, its purpose is to see if you are suited for the roll or not.

Fair enough about the double edged sword that the reserves can be.

However, the apptitude test does not bring the most suitable people to the forefront. It brings the people who are best at apptitude tests. This is obviously correlated with the most intelligent and this is used as a cut-off of applicants who they take the time to interview. the the interview will select the people most suited.

Also, depending on the section of the apptitude there are wrong answers.

Sorry, i know parts of it have wrong answers and are based on your capability of solving problems.
    But parts of it are based on personality testing to see if your suited to the job.
    The debate could go on forever, obviously being a reserve is an advantage whether it gives you the experience you need or helps you see the job isn't for you, it does benefit everyone.
    But the benefits as bluebelle mentioned wont help you through the process but only when your in training and out on the streets.

However, the apptitude test does not bring the most suitable people to the forefront. It brings the people who are best at apptitude tests. This is obviously correlated with the most intelligent and this is used as a cut-off of applicants who they take the time to interview. the the interview will select the people most suited..

The aptitude tests are marked in such a way as to root out the most desireable combination of personality traits that AGS specifically look for in a candidate. It measures your own personal aptitude to see what job you are suited to. Again it's not perfect, but it's relevant.
    Also, depending on the section of the apptitude there are wrong answers.

The section that does have right/ wrong answers can be learned. You are given sample tests and practice makes perfect. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. No excuse.

No offense intended folks, but the process does not weed out people who are not suited. That is a fact, and any Garda will tell you that. It's not a perfect system and it never will be.

As for aptitude test singling out people best suited for job? I'm sorry but that is not the case. As said, if you score high in an aptitude test it means you are good at analytical reasoning etc. It doesn't mean you wont freeze when you come across an assault victim or a bad rta.

The personality test is usually right in the sections it matches you to, but their is no one personality best suited to the role of Garda.

• Advertisement

No offense intended folks, but the process does not weed out people who are not suited. That is a fact, and any Garda will tell you that. It's not a perfect system and it never will be.
    As for aptitude test singling out people best suited for job? I'm sorry but that is not the case. As said, if you score high in an aptitude test it means you are good at analytical reasoning etc. It doesn't mean you wont freeze when you come across an assault victim or a bad rta. The personality test is usually right in the sections it matches you to, but their is no one personality best suited to the role of Garda.

I never said there was one personality that was best suited. But if you dont understand how the aptitude tests are marked it's very difficult to explain how they come to their decision. It's not a case of most right answers wins. Analytical reasoning is different. There are right and wrong answers, which, as i've explained can be studied and learned. After that it's about combinations of different personality traits. Your morals, what do you consider right or wrong. How would you react in certain situations etc. The questions are then divided into different groups and your combinations of answers in each group are analysed. Their preferred combinations of answers are what forms how well you do in the test. This is completely different to someone scoring a high grade in a maths exam for example. The questions are relevant to situations you would experience as a guard and the exam is geared towards the profession of a garda. That's what I mean by it being relevant. And while it's not perfect, nothing else short of forcing everyone to try 6 months free membership to AGS and watching them intently before they're either hired or fired, is going to give a complete picture of whether someone is suited to the job. Realistically there is only so much they can do! Even at that, people are always going to slip through the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

This process takes far too long. I am still waiting for a medical since last summer. I have called HQ twice and got the same response that only 1 of my papers needs to be signed and that department is under staffed. 1 paper is holding me back

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Abed wrote: »

"Consideration is being given to changing the upper age limit, in limited circumstances, in a way which would be beneficial to An Garda Síochána. The Deputy will also be aware that the Garda Síochána (Admissions and Appointments) (Amendment) Regulations 2006, allow the Public Appointments Service to give due recognition to any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána."

very interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mark37

How does everyone else feel about this??? I totally disagree for one with Alan Shatter's, in my opinion the cut off should stay at 35, and garda reserve members should not be given perference over anyone else!!

They wont be given any preference over anybody, they still need to pass all tests and interview to make the gardai.
    They will be given due recognition for their services f they get as far as interview, but it will not be enough to pass the interview, or if they are slightly over 35 and have proven that they will be of benefit to the force they will be allowed to apply.

• Advertisement

Mark37 wrote: »
    How does everyone else feel about this??? I totally disagree for one with Alan Shatter's, in my opinion the cut off should stay at 35, and garda reserve members should not be given perference over anyone else!!

My understanding of Alan Shatters sentiments, is that the power does exist to allow an applicant who has joined the Garda reseve before the age of 35 to apply for the full-time force.

He does not commit to doing this. He only states that the option is there.

Personally, I don't see why there should be an age limit. Obviously any garda who joins after this date will not have the full pension contributions (30 years) paid at the end of their career. and so will not receive a full pension.

The argument that the cost of training these applicants needs to be repaid, is weak. I don't think it would take 30 years to repay this training. (maybe 5)

Other than this, provided they are fit enough and healthy enough, I don't see why they should not be allowed apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I think the age limit should be raised to 45 or even 50 if there has to be one at all. Anyone of that age now will more than likely have to work to the age of 70 or more anyway so they will get twenty years out of them, and a 70 year old who looks after his health and fitness would be fitter than your average street drinking and fighting yob.

As for the Garda Reserve. They should be given a percentage of all places available as they have shown commitment to the job rather than the wage packet by giving up their free time to do the work for no financial benefits whatsoever.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    I think the age limit should be raised to 45 or even 50 if there has to be one at all. Anyone of that age now will more than likely have to work to the age of 70 or more anyway so they will get twenty years out of them, and a 70 year old who looks after his health and fitness would be fitter than your average street drinking and fighting yob.

As for the Garda Reserve. They should be given a percentage of all places available as they have shown commitment to the job rather than the wage packet by giving up their free time to do the work for no financial benefits whatsoever.

I have to disagree with your point re the age limit. At 35, AGS is just getting a good return on people brought in. If the age limit was increased to 50, it would be a negative move imo. By the time a 50 year old recruit would have completed their training and probation they would be near the 53/54 mark, and would only be beginning their career.

I also believe someone who joins at 22 for example, has the potential to be a vastly more experienced Garda as by the time they have their 30 years done, they will be 52. This means a vastly more experienced police force in the long run.

I could not agree more with your second point, and I believe this will happen sooner than later. The Met have taken this line as their MO for recruitment in the future, except entirely as opposed to a percentage.

Interesting view would you like to elaborate considering that a GR would have a better understanding of the job and had recieved both training and would have a level of experience which a new recruit would not

My understanding of Alan Shatters sentiments, is that the power does exist to allow an applicant who has joined the Garda reseve before the age of 35 to apply for the full-time force.

He does not commit to doing this. He only states that the option is there.

Personally, I don't see why there should be an age limit. Obviously any garda who joins after this date will not have the full pension contributions (30 years) paid at the end of their career. and so will not receive a full pension.

The argument that the cost of training these applicants needs to be repaid, is weak. I don't think it would take 30 years to repay this training. (maybe 5)

Other than this, provided they are fit enough and healthy enough, I don't see why they should not be allowed apply.

Max imum age for PNSI and The Met is 55. Now if such professional and well know police forces do it surely there must be an advantage

• Advertisement
Advertisement