Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toy phone for toddler 8 months +

• 29-11-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I guess there may be many of your experiencing the same.. our little man loves my mobile phone and any mobile phone really
    I hate the idea of giving it to him for playing but it keeps him occupied and quiet for hours.. so.. I am looking for a toy phone which would be similar size as real mobile phone, had lighted up display and some realistic tunes too..
    I have seen many in Smyths etc. but even thought they are marked 6 months+ they are massive and hardly even look like real phone..
    Anyone can recommend any?
    Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I got a Fisher Price one for my lad and it was fine as a toy in it's own right but useless as an acceptable substitute for those moments when nothing will do but my phone. I got a very realistic looking one in a '2-euro-shop'. It says on it that it's not suitable for under-3s. My son is 16 months and has had the phone since he was one. There don't seem to be any small parts although I never let him play with it unsupervised or for any real length of time - I just use it to distract him from wanting my phone and then distract him with something else once his attention has shifted.

This one might suit you better if you don't want to risk the cheap and nasty version:
    http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536889

I know from experience, having tried this with three babies, that toy phones are absolutely no use, somehow they know the difference!!! Maybe go into your nearest carphone warehouse/o2 store and ask them if they have any spare models that they're getting rid of. My husband used to work for a mobile phone manufacturer so we had a few of these lying about the house and they were the only thing that worked.

The toy phones are great in their own right, v-tech do a great one, but it won't stop your little fella wanting the real deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Elisha (8months as well) has even figured out where i hide my phone, she ruths inbetween the cushion for it or pillows if i'm in bedroom. I keep telling her its my toy but she won't listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Megan has her own remote control and scientific calculator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Its amazing isn't it, anything you seem interested in like the phone, remotes, laptop etc, they want in!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you tried the €2 shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I totally agree with Whoopsadaisydoodles. Kids know what's a real phone and what's a toy, and a toy phone simply won't satisfy them!! :D
    Maybe you could ask in a phone shop for any spares as Whoops suggests, or perhaps you could take this opportunity to treat yourself to a new one and give the old one to your little man!
    They want something that lights up and makes noise - and preferably of a size they can shove in their gob!! It's just hilarious! I love it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Imaginarium do realistic remote controls, maybe phones too?

Otherwise you could try to see if a relative has an old spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Megan has her own remote control and scientific calculator!

Ah yeah.. Tobiash has his own remote control too he even had my old phone but it stoped working last week.. guess just too much dribbles was getting in.. :D

Advertisement