Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Imaging or Air Pressurisation Testing

• 29-11-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi

I'm looking for information regarding Thermal Imaging or Air Pressurisation Testing on a canadian log cabin. As the house has no cavity walls i am looking for a company that has knowledge of this type of house and can make recommendations. Has anyone had either test done on a log cabin. I am based in the Cavan Monaghan area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

bugboots wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking for information regarding Thermal Imaging or Air Pressurisation Testing on a canadian log cabin. As the house has no cavity walls i am looking for a company that has knowledge of this type of house and can make recommendations. Has anyone had either test done on a log cabin. I am based in the Cavan Monaghan area.

Waht information? Recommendations for what? What are you tyring to solve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bugboots

I want information on what test is better. The house is very cold in cold and windy weather. I also want information on what type of insulation might be suitable for a log cabin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

bugboots wrote: »
    I want information on what test is better. The house is very cold in cold and windy weather. I also want information on what type of insulation might be suitable for a log cabin.

In general, both techniques are used to pinpoint the different ways heat is being lost from a building. In your case, however, I would choose the air tightness test as you already know that the cabin is un-insulated and thermography is used primarily to find insulation weaknesses in insulated structures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Do neither.

As you say a log cabin has no insulation so a thermal imaging camera is useless.

It's likley very leaky and draughty as well. You dont need an expensive test to tell you that.

Sorry, but it's a bit like owing an old banger of a car and thinking if you could only put it on a rolling road and measure it's BHP you could work out why it doesn't go that well.

save your money and think about moving to a property where such problems dont exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alles

bugboots,

if the house is cold in cold weather, and cold in windy weather then the main likely culprit is air infiltration/exfiltration, as well as possibly lack of insulation in places.

Log cabins may leak air particularly around the windows, as well as the joints at _all_ the timbers, depending on how they are made (and thats a lot of joints). They are usually made with tolerances to allow the timer to settle, but if it settles in an awkward way, there may be gaps around the place.

I disagree that a blower door test is useless. If you find a good craftsperson who is prepared to help you fix and find draught problems, then that is great and a test would be not required.

Otherwise, a blower door/airtightness test with leak detection as part of it will help you find the areas that need to be fixed (or fixed most urgently), and if the operator is good, then he/she can also give recommendations on possible courses of actions, which a tradesperson can then action. There are of course many ways to skin a cat, and in the course of doing the work the tradesperson (or yourself) may come up with other valid ways of solving the problems.

Thermal imaging is probably of less benefit in this case, but if used in conjunction with the blower door test, it can help to find larger areas of air infiltration (rather than insulation issues).

Gavin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

OP should post details of the construction of this "log cabin".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...well, I've seen a copy of a 'Depressuriesed Theromgraphy Report' which is basically thermography during the blower test, and the air leaks become 'visible' on the camera. Showed up interesting results for the doors & window guys.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement