Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work experience in photography?

• 29-11-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, feel free to move this if i've posted it in the wrong place.

i'm doing transition year at the moment, and i've really been getting almost obsessed with photography over the past few months :pac:

as part of the year we have to get work experience in various places etc.
    i already have a week in a photography studio down the road from me, but i was wondering where else would be a good place to do it, or where would take me on?

i was supposed to doing a week with inpho, the sports agency, but i haven't heard back from the guy who said he'd get me it.

anybody know of any places or got any idea's? i'd like to try something other than the studio's, get a bit of variety and experience in other fields :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

stetyrrell wrote: »
    i was supposed to doing a week with inpho, the sports agency, but i haven't heard back from the guy who said he'd get me it.

I believe Inpho already have a transition year student working with them, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

If you shoot Nikon, you could try asking Sportsfile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

try your local newspaper - see if they'd oblige you with tagging along with one of their photographers or maybe do a feature on your weeks work experience with them - that'd be an angle if they were looking to fill space. The school may have a contact in the paper who might help you get an "in"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 GrahamR1980

I would be into photography too and if I was in your position I would try get some experience in a proper photo printing lab! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Paulw wrote: »
    I believe Inpho already have a transition year student working with them, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

yeah it was an ex-student of the school who shoots for them said he'd ask, but i got no word back from him so i guess it's a no.....
    i'll give sportsfile a ring tomorrow, only the best shoot Nikon ;)

I rang a good few of the newspapers but got no replys, even the northside people.

I'm not sure if i'd be into a printing lab, i plan on doing photography in college and stuff, but i'm not a fan of film :cool:

Sure that's hardly relevant is it?! :confused:

They're all fecking cameras, one way or the other...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sure that's hardly relevant is it?! :confused:

They're all fecking cameras, one way or the other...

It would be much easier to transfer a lens to use it on a body your comfortable with than having to juggle both body and lens. Its not the most important criteria

Borderfox wrote: »
    It would be much easier to transfer a lens to use it on a body your comfortable with than having to juggle both body and lens. Its not the most important criteria

Still a little confused. Are we talking if the OP wants to use other photographers' gear? (ie get a lens off them, which is what I think you're talking about in your post?). :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

yeah it was an ex-student of the school who shoots for them said he'd ask, but i got no word back from him so i guess it's a no.....
    i'll give sportsfile a ring tomorrow, only the best shoot Nikon ;)

I rang a good few of the newspapers but got no replys, even the northside people.

I'm not sure if i'd be into a printing lab, i plan on doing photography in college and stuff, but i'm not a fan of film :cool:

you will have to start liking film because its what you will mostly be using in college :D

Still a little confused. Are we talking if the OP wants to use other photographers' gear? (ie get a lens off them, which is what I think you're talking about in your post?). :confused:

The two Irish sports agencies are Inpho and Sportsfile. Inpho use Canon and Sportsfile use Nikon.

It really helps to knowthe equipment, especially for pressure work. Knowing where a setting or button is can make the difference between getting a shot and not getting it.

While a camera is a camera, there are plenty of differences between Nikon and Canon (camera design/layout).

While using one wouldn't preclude you from working on the other, it would make a difference.

• Advertisement

The two Irish sports agencies are Inpho and Sportsfile. Inpho use Canon and Sportsfile use Nikon.

It really helps to knowthe equipment, especially for pressure work. Knowing where a setting or button is can make the difference between getting a shot and not getting it.

While a camera is a camera, there are plenty of differences between Nikon and Canon (camera design/layout).

While using one wouldn't preclude you from working on the other, it would make a difference.

I just never realised that brand was such an issue or something to be so aware of. I realise the OP is just talking about work experience, but surely people actually working in these agencies should be pros and should have their own gear?

Just seems a little amateurish to me to have a brand so integrated into your agency. Though that said, I don't know the first thing about either, so it's probably unfair for me to make such comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I wouldn't hold my breath for either - they both get so many requests....

Yeah i'm not expecting to get it in either places, but sure i might as well try :rolleyes:

I think the whole 'one brand' thing is so that lenses and camera body's etc. can be shared out between the photographers eg. say someone's lense breaks, they need an extra flash, they need a backup body.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garlicmayo

Hi,

I am form a hockey club on the Southside of Dublin and we are looking for people keen to get into photography in sports to take photos of our teams in action on the pitch.

The idea would be that there is no commitment involved on your part, basically each week I would send you details of our match times and venues and you can come along if it suits. And if you do come along that you send us on the photos to upload to our site and facebook page.

We mostly play on Saturdays and matches are either on our home grounds or away matches in various parts of Dublin, Leinster or Ireland as well throughout the season.

We have 5 ladies squads competing in Divisions 4 - 14 and 3 mens squads within Divisions 2 - 7. Majority of matches are played on Saturdays, though this can change on occasion. Also both our mens and ladies 1sts squads are competing in the National Indoor Trophy in January, as well as various National Cup and Trophy competitions.

There would be no finiancial gain for any party, but we would be happy for you to publish your photos on your site. And as I said on the post we would publish them on our website and facebook page and hopefully be able to get you some more contacts if they are agreeable.

We are also planning on updating our website late this season, so are really hoping to get some good high res action shots for this.

If you are interested in getting involved and signing up for the weekly match fixtures, let me know by private message.

Thanks

anybody know of any other agencies i could try?
    haven't gotten around to ringing inpho or sportsfile, i'll spend a day on the phone tomorrow.
    so much work for just one week! :eek:

anybody know of any other agencies i could try?
    haven't gotten around to ringing inpho or sportsfile, i'll spend a day on the phone tomorrow.
    so much work for just one week! :eek:

Sportsfile and Inpho are the only two sports agencies in Ireland (well, there's Getty and AP too, I guess).

Not sure who else you could try really.

You could try Newsfile. They're photojournalists I believe, unless you only want sports photography.

Not sure where they're based either but their photos practically own the Drogheda Leader, a free local paper (in Drogheda, obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

theres other photo agencies like Collins Photo Agency, Maxwells, Photocall ...all based in Dublin....theres also PA, AP, Reuters (Think they withdrew from Ireland), Getty.

In the midlands you have James Flynn/APX .... in Cork you have Provision, in Kerry, McMonagle (I think) .....in Limerick Press 22....thats all I can think off off the top of my head...including as mentioned above ..Fran - Newsfile in Louth and Dan Browne - Waterford.

ALL of the above are not specifically sport - they sometimes cover sports but not every day ..... they are mainly news and PR.

Doesn't necessarily have to be sport, i'd be interested in PR too :)

So far the list of who i'll ring is :
    Sportsfile
    Inpho
    Collins Photo Agency
    Maxwells
    Photocall

anybody else know of any other agencies? or even better, agencies you've heard of that take on students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why does it have to be an agency - why not ask a freelancer or a studio/wedding photographer if he/she would mind you tagging along and learning from them.

EDIT: you could ask a studio if they mind giving you work experience (you might end out doing coffee run or marking the appointment book, answering calls etc)

• Advertisement

I already have a week in a studio, so i figured i'd like to try something else as well.

i'll ring a couple of freelancers, anybody got any suggestions on a couple of decent lads who'd be willing to take me on? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

garlicmayo wrote: »
    Hi,

I am form a hockey club on the Southside of Dublin and we are looking for people keen to get into photography in sports to take photos of our teams in action on the pitch.

The idea would be that there is no commitment involved on your part, basically each week I would send you details of our match times and venues and you can come along if it suits. And if you do come along that you send us on the photos to upload to our site and facebook page.

We mostly play on Saturdays and matches are either on our home grounds or away matches in various parts of Dublin, Leinster or Ireland as well throughout the season.

We have 5 ladies squads competing in Divisions 4 - 14 and 3 mens squads within Divisions 2 - 7. Majority of matches are played on Saturdays, though this can change on occasion. Also both our mens and ladies 1sts squads are competing in the National Indoor Trophy in January, as well as various National Cup and Trophy competitions.

There would be no finiancial gain for any party, but we would be happy for you to publish your photos on your site. And as I said on the post we would publish them on our website and facebook page and hopefully be able to get you some more contacts if they are agreeable.

We are also planning on updating our website late this season, so are really hoping to get some good high res action shots for this.

If you are interested in getting involved and signing up for the weekly match fixtures, let me know by private message.

Thanks

I think you mis-understood, that sounds more like you are trying to get some free photos rather than been able to offer the OP a learning photography experience. Unless of course some one on the team is a pro and want to give the OP some tips and advice on sports photography.

Advertisement