Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion Teaching as Mature Student

Options
  • 29-11-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Has anyone gained entry to a religion teaching degree as a mature student?
    And has anyone ideas on what sort of things in an application colleges would look for or what could enhance an application?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yolande

Hi, surewhoknows,
    I am a teacher of RE and am the co-operating teacher to a mature student. Now, he did do a Masters in Theology in Glasgow, but was accepted - even at quite a late stage - by UCD - for his dip in ed. If you're looking to read a degree in Religous Education, then I guess you're looking at Mary Immac in Limerick or Mater Dei in Dublin. My personal reservations about that route is the exclusive nature of the courses - certainly in this day and age, I'd be more inclined to opt for a general degree and then do the post-grad dip in ed - by following that route, there are all sorts of potential options that may well open up during your primary degree....

Good luck with this, though - it's tough out there and, I imagine, there may well be reduced intakes - added to which there's so little movement on the jobs front....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fionab2010

Hi OP, Do you want to teach at primary or secondary level?

Secondary level would be easier to get into, a friend of mine did an arts degree and wants to be a secondary school teacher. He loves it, I would think this gives you a broader education too and other options later on also.

Good luck !

Advertisement