Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Pheasant

Options
  • 29-11-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Recently bought a Pheasant in Lidl and cooked it last night. The bird was wild and contained shot. I had been previously warned about the smell of hung pheasant but surprisingly there was no smell from the cooked or uncooked bird. It was tough as leather without much flavor. Why might this be? Lots of people rave about pheasant so I was surprised...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Phesant only smells when it's "high" (over hung) there is no way you;d have to worry about that in lidl.

Lovely meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Recently bought a Pheasant in Lidl and cooked it last night. The bird was wild and contained shot. I had been previously warned about the smell of hung pheasant but surprisingly there was no smell from the cooked or uncooked bird. It was tough as leather without much flavor. Why might this be? Lots of people rave about pheasant so I was surprised...
    I'd have expect them lads in lidl to add lead shot to farmed birds and chance their arm with a "wild" label :D:D

As for being very tough, it is naturally a dry meat, so its easy to overcook, which is probably what happened. Some people add bacon to the top to try keep it moist with a bit of extra fat, personally I'd rather not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A wild pheasent's legs will be much tougher and cook at a different rate than the breasts, it comes from all the running around they do. Maybe try boning the bird and cooking each part different ways, say confit the legs and griddle-pan the breasts?

Advertisement