Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SVDP?

• 30-11-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Just going through the radio stations in the car during the week
    only to hear a guy from the Waterford SVDP talking about all the e-mails his group were getting for help & assistance coming up to Christmas.
    Now if you can't afford the basics, what are you doing with a telephone
    and a computer? I believe it's all a scam & nothing else!
    I'm in no doubt that there are genuine people out there in unfortunate
    circumstances but not as many as they would have you believe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

so what would you class as a family in need? one with no computer, tv, phone, food in the cupboard, car, clothes, shoes, electricity or heat?

just because someone has access to email it doesnt make them a rich

i find your skepticism a bit disheartening to be honest. i'm sure there are a lot of families in need and a lot of parents at their wits end this Christmas..cheek of them though for having a phone in and access to an email address:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

only to hear a guy from the Waterford SVDP talking about all the e-mails his group were getting for help & assistance coming up to Christmas.

You can use the internet in the city library for free.... If you are a student you have access to internet at college.
    Do you thing people should barter their mobile phones or laptops for more necessary items. I'm skint but i'll still make sure i've the basic covered such a rent every month plus mobile bill.
    If it weren't for SVDP a few yrs ago I would've been screwed a couple of yrs ago. A woman from a Waterford Area Partnership emailed them on my behalf, i'm sure they're doing the same now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's one group I will not support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Welcome to post Celtic tiger folks , enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Just because someone has a computer or a laptop doesn't mean they haven't fallen on bad times since making such extravagant :rolleyes: purchases.

Look, it's coming up to Christmas, and charities are going to be extra-busy. Badmouthing a charity does no-one any good, least of all the people who really need it. Let the charity decide who is most needy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

gscully wrote: »
    Let the charity decide who is most needy.

thats just the trouble with that particular chartiy though, from my experience the people who decide who is most in 'need' are not particualary informed, and certainly in smaller villages it can be very nod nod wink wink as to who gets a contribution or not. there is very little transparency becuase of the nessesary secrecy of the process. pity really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

So what happens is, you run out of money or find it difficult to live day by day and suddenly your telephone, tv, internet connection, washing machine, kettle, cooker etc all disappear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Straycat wrote: »
    thats just the trouble with that particular chartiy though, from my experience the people who decide who is most in 'need' are not particualary informed, and certainly in smaller villages it can be very nod nod wink wink as to who gets a contribution or not. there is very little transparency becuase of the nessesary secrecy of the process. pity really.

Maybe there's some truth to that, maybe not.

The thing is, yourself and the OP have made some accusations against a charitable organisation without offering any proof. If you don't want to support their work, that's fair enough, but any negative press about them could mean less money for those who really need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Maybe there's some truth to that, maybe not.

The thing is, yourself and the OP have made some accusations against a charitable organisation without offering any proof. If you don't want to support their work, that's fair enough, but any negative press about them could mean less money for those who really need it.

A colleague of mine went delivering some hampers one Christmas only to find the home well stocked with alcohol so they could afford the drink but not the food? Also when I was employed, a few in the company in which I worked for received a Christmas hamper. These people were not short!

There's always someone with a hand out when there's something going for nothing & too many of them don't deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

but any negative press about them could mean less money for those who really need it.

i don't think anyone is going to decide whether or not to give a charitable donation based on good/bad press on an Internet forum, either you believe in your cause enough to give some of your hard earned cash or you don't.

regarding proof, as ive said before because of the nature of privacy surrounding this, it is impossible to give proof, but like the op said everyone knows some of the scandalous things that go on with certain organisations. most purely because some of the recipients boast about it. (having said that the organisation isnt to blame once the donation is handed over, but prehaps more careful selection could prevent this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

They should be a lot more discerning as to who they give money, vouchers etc to. I will not support any group that is giving money and vouchers to drug dealers, paying repeated court fines for criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

deisemum wrote: »
    They should be a lot more discerning as to who they give money, vouchers etc to. I will not support any group that is giving money and vouchers to drug dealers, paying repeated court fines for criminals.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I reckon there are plenty of folks in town who will honestly struggle to feed themselves this winter and the SVDP will help out many of those. If dishonest lowlifes/drug dealers/etc exploit that then there's not much we can do about it. I'm happy to know that along the way there will be honest folks going through a hard time who will benefit from SVDP. That's based on my understanding of the workings of the organisation in Waterford. I'm happy to support them.

Advertisement