Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door with good insulation

• 30-11-2010 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I am looking at replacing our back door. The present one has about 16 glass panels and it is single glazed.

What is the best for insulation- a solid wood door or PVC door? Also there is no vent in the corridor, so should we look at a door with a small vent to allow circulation? This also seems to contradict our need for insulation and so this is why I need advice!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Got a new front door, I asked people in the trade and I was told wooden door is much better than PVC. PVC is ok for windows but not good for doors. Wood will cost extra and you should get double glazed.

I have vents on the windows. I notice in strong winds if they are open they vibrate and make a strange noise. So They are shut most of the time. On the front whatever way the wind caught the rain when it rained cause water to come in if the vent was open. Overall not impressed with the vents, I found them a bit of a waste

Hope it help

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

Thanks for the advice- very helpful!

Did you get a carpenter to fit the door? I am concerned about getting it fitted as the current door wasn't fitted well (no draught excluder) and I don't want to repeat the mistake.

Thanks.

Yes

He fitted a new door and new frame, he was a carpenter - yes

old door and frame was warped due to age. The replacement is so much better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Got a new front door, I asked people in the trade and I was told wooden door is much better than PVC. PVC is ok for windows but not good for doors. Wood will cost extra and you should get double glazed.

I have vents on the windows. I notice in strong winds if they are open they vibrate and make a strange noise. So They are shut most of the time. On the front whatever way the wind caught the rain when it rained cause water to come in if the vent was open. Overall not impressed with the vents, I found them a bit of a waste

Hope it help

WHO told you that????

They obviously dont know much about new/modern UPVC and composite doors then.

My composite door is very well insulated and has a very very low U-Value.

And it doesnt warp or crack,like a woden door will.

The guy I asked used to fit doors and windows for Munster Joinery, he left them and then worked for a smaller operation so he did not have to travel so much. When boom ended so did his job so he went doing other type of work

Good that you are happy, not wanting to be smart with you. This guy said he would not put a PVC door on a chicken house. He did not rate them at all. Other people in the trade also believed that wood door was better, stronger etc etc.

In the end its what the individual wants, so if thats what suits you then go for it

• Advertisement

Check out askthedirectory.com and post what you want, I see a carpenter has listed himself. May be of some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You can put two locks on a wooden,door and a sliding bolt,a pvc door has one lock,ie not so secure,if getting wooden door it needs to be thick,and fitted perfectly to keep out draughts.A PVC door needs a pvc frame,obviously its better for insulation,it the glass in it is double glazed.my friend bought a pvc door as new, with,frame,lock, 400euros place near phoenix park, i can pm you the company name if you want,Door size 7ft x 3.5 ft.he installed it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi the front door to our house was originally pvc, the front of house is very exposed to wind and rain and we never had a problem with it. We have since built on a porch and I choose a wooden door mainly because I preferred the look of them. Now our builder warned us there would probably be problems with it and he was right. Not major it sticks a bit due to expansion in winter and in really bad rainy weather it has let in a small bit of water on a couple of occassions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Black Georgian 6 panel Composite insulated front door with a U-Value of 0.205

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

hi, I'm looking to replace a wooden front door, which when the weather is bad, leaks through/around the 6 inset panels. There are also gaps, with a good breeze blowing in.

I've tried sqeezing silicon into the gaps, but it's not worked. I painted the interior cream & can now see that the panels have moved over a few months.

Can you tell me the difference between composite and storm doors - I assume they are all PVC, but maybe not, so your advice is welcome.

Also, you see the design on the existing door, which I'd like to retain (ie, full glass to one side of the door). But, I've not seen this in any pvc doors - I always see the door centered, with a smaller glass area to both sides, which to me, would leave little room on either side, inside the hall. So, is it possible to replicate what I currently have?

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

PVC every time. Better insulation and lower maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Advertisement