Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A + A1 + M learner permit, an advantage?

• 30-11-2010 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Avid reader, but I'm really only at the stage of planning for the possibility of getting a bike sometime next year. I drive with a full car license at the mo.

Anyhoo, I've gone and done the AM category theory test to avoid the official CBT business and am about to get the A learner permit issued.

However, it just struck me that maybe it would be handy to have M and A1 on the learner permit also, in case I decided to just settle for a moped or 125cc in the shortterm and could get stuck with the CBT if I looked for an M or A1 permit next year...

...does my thinking make sense there? or have I overcooked the noodle a bit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Get the A permit, it covers you for the smaller bikes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

That's my main plan. The idea being to aim, after some training, for a restricted v-twin standard or dual-sport... maybe an SV650 or a Transalp etc etc... that's a whole other bag of questions and research in the offing...

So, yes, the A permit is for certain, but, I got thinking, maybe I would be missing an angle if I didn't add the A1 and M categories as well, when I get the A permit.
    Say I got a really cheap bargain on a 125cc, something is making me think that you can't do a proper A bike test without using a bike > 125cc... [and now I can't find that mentioned on the RSA site!!!... have I confused myself into that limitation??]
    If that limitation is true, and I could only do an A1 bike test with this hypothetical 125cc, I'd then need to go back and get an A1 permit, etc, etc, and would get stuck for the CBT. If I'm right?!

So, am I right in thinking it might be genuinely useful to get A+A1+M on the permit, just on a "just-in-case" basis?? It can't trip up the main A plan above, in any way, can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I think the A license includes A1 and M, so you don't need to duplicate licences or applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Idleater wrote: »
    I think the A license includes A1 and M, so you don't need to duplicate licences or applications.

Quite right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

cantdecide wrote: »
    Quite right.
    what (s)he said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You do need a bike over 125cc to do the test for the A. If you end up getting a 125 then try to get a school bike to do the test on. The full A1 licence isn't really worthwhile getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You do need a bike over 125cc to do the test for the A. If you end up getting a 125 then try to get a school bike to do the test on. The full A1 licence isn't really worthwhile getting.

That's what I seemed to remember about the A test. Makes sense to need more than experience on a moped to get a license for a big bike :)

I've seen some schools mention making their bikes available for your test but that never struck me as a great idea... missing out on the familiarity of your regular ride. Still, might be the only sensible option instead of going through an A1 test, only to need an A test again leter, as you say.

Thanks for the mo :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Go for the A, you can do the test on a school bike.

Advertisement