Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive for jtag

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You can use either of those drives, I'm not sure about putting a HD into a Slim, the Slim uses one large fan over the combined CPU & GPU whisper max is not compatible or indeed needed as they don't suffer from the Red Ring of Death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

the first one has eSATA connection so you could in theory use it as the native xbox HDD instead of usb connection. Thats when you use it on Jtag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

First off you need to choose if you want a 3.5" drive, or a 2.5" drive.

I prefer the 2.5" drives as these are the sizes of the official MS drives and you can buy enclosures for the Slim/Original consoles to make them fit like they should. 3.5" require modding either internally (removing DVD drive and putting it in there) or externally to hold it in place :D

Size? Your call, fit your budget and requirements. I use a 500gb drive, many use 1TB drives :) Keep in mind that the only drive you can buy that'll work in your Slim is a 250GB which has been modded with HDDhacker (WD Scorpio Series drives only).

If you have an existing MS drive, buy one hard drive for your JTAG, and one enclosure (the Slim enclosure) from Deal Extreme, take your hard drive out of it's old enclosure, put it into the new one and throw that into your slim, then take your new hard drive and drop it into the original enclosure - voila :D

Don't bother buying a hard drive in an enclosure either, if you plug them in over USB then you can use only 16GB of the drive no matter what size it is. Also, USB drive storage on the 360 is not handled like native hard drives are handled, there is no 'Content' folder to put your apps in for one thing, NXE2GOD doesn't work on it etc etc.

Finally - stay away from seller refurbished drives on ebay. The 2.5" drive for €50 you posted is one such drive. It isn't new, it broke down in the past and was refurbished. I barely trust new drives to keep my data safe, I sure as hell don't trust refurbs and especially when they're not coming direct from the manufacturer of the drive. Besides, you're looking at €62 for that drive including delivery - whereas Amazon.co.uk have a new 500GB WD Scorpio (the JTAG drive I'm using) for £44 with free delivery (about €55).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

ye i have the MS drive 250gb and a 20gb just want to know if it would fit in the slim and want one would u say i get for the jtag can spent about 80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

1) Sell the 20GB drive

2) Purchase this from DealExtreme and open your 250GB hard drive enclosure and put that drive into this. That'll do for your slim.

3) Purchase that drive I linked you to on Amazon.co.uk making sure to select "Free Delivery" at checkout. Put that drive into your old 360 model enclosure. That's your JTAG sorted.

Total cost - About €70.

• Advertisement
Advertisement