Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA news conference: Thursday. See link. It's all about ET!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

from my (admittedly basic) understanding of all this, it would be physically impossible for this lifeform to have evolved from any other form of life on this planet, given that it's basic structure are totally incompatible with the other life on earth.

if this is indeed the case, then it is possibly either of alien origin (ala meteorite strike at some stage in the past) or has evolved totally separately from other life on the planet, which would seem to be somewhat unlikely unless there are many different types of these organisms coexisting in the lake who could have a common genesis that began within the lake.

maybe there's something else that i'm missing, but it's pretty epic nonetheless and it looks like the boy who cried wolf finally got his wolf! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

My reading of this is that life started many times on the early Earth. One stream led to all the life we know another led to these new chaps and all the rest died out or maybe some are still to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

vibe666 wrote: »
    if this is indeed the case, then it is possibly either of alien origin (ala meteorite strike at some stage in the past) or has evolved totally separately from other life on the planet, which would seem to be somewhat unlikely unless there are many different types of these organisms coexisting in the lake who could have a common genesis that began within the lake.

That is exactly what they were looking for, the so called "shadow biosphere".

Felisa Wolfe-Simon has been looking for this for quite a while, seems she hit the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

It's just a screensaver thing at the moment but says 2pm which I assume is
    in 1 minute over there & hopefully not 31 minutes or 61 minutes :(

ah, its not nearly that good. :(

its a regular microbe that was able to survive when substituting phosphorus for arsenic.

its not all arsenic, its still got some phosphorus just with some amount of arsenic as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

vibe666 wrote: »
    ah, its not nearly that good. :(

its a regular microbe that was able to survive when substituting phosphorus for arsenic.
    I don't think a microbe using arsenic instead of phosphorus could be called "regular". Well not yet any way ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

The fact that life forms are able to substitute fundamental building blocks
    for those which previously were not considered possible is pretty damn
    important & alters all current views about the uniformity in the components
    making up life unless I'm mistaken. Remember DNA is molecularly uniform in
    all species yet here we have evidence of different chemical composure so if
    something so fundamental can be altered still producing life who knows how
    extreme the variations could become in more complex species & who knows
    what extra-terrestrial environments would be more inviting to the production
    of arsenic to that of phosphorous? Am I understanding all this right or
    missing something?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea its a great discovery but its not new life from my reading of it. Its only "new" life if its not using DNA, otherwise its just a variation on the same theme, albeit a novel one. It evolved from other life forms already extant. Indeed from a pretty common group of bacteria. So as far as I can see it's not even close to new life or an "alien" bacteria or a shadow biosphere with a separate evolutionary pathway from all the rest. Like vibe666 said it still uses DNA, just evolved to replace phosporous with aresnic. It was able to survive in a novel but not madly unexpected way. Just another extremophile. Still an impressive little bugger mind. Another meh moment from NASA IMHO.

It doesnt automatically mean that an "arsenic planet" will give rise to life either. OK they can survive the substitution, but could they evolve in the first place in the absence of phosporous?

In any case I wouldnt be looking for such a biosphere in a lake only a couple of million years old. I'd be looking for somewhere more ancient out of sight and stable. Couple of miles down in the crust for example.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

the more i think about it, the more i think that the 'leak' was just a stunt by nasa make people think it was something extra terrestrial or a completely new form of life without regular DNA. the way it was being described in the leak was as if they'd found something with no common ancestry with the rest of life on the planet.

it was just a stunt to drum up interest in the actual announcement because at the end of the day they knew it would just be another in a long line of 'meh' moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

^^ +1.

And now I look stupid, suggesting it could be extra-terrestrial. :(

Whoever manages NASA's PR should be shot.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    ^^ +1.

And now I look stupid, suggesting it could be extra-terrestrial. :(

Whoever manages NASA's PR should be shot.
    i did the same thing mate, i wouldn't worry about it. it's what they wanted everyone to think so they could get as much publicity as possible for their announcement. :)

Advertisement