Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would happen if drink prices were raised sky high in the budget?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

amy21 wrote: »
    I'd be having a lot less sex

Are ya really that ugly?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Funkfield wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this for quite a while. What if they lowered the price of drink in the budget. If they knocked a euro off the pint surely people would start going out more

Do you think the Publicans would pass on that to the final price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

go up north for drink pay back the Brits the 7 billion they gave us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ???

basic economics 101 teaches you that tobacco is an inelastic product but MAY become elastic depending on the financial situation of the consumer in the long run
    That's not the issue here. The issue here is that raising the price of cigarettes in this country is turning people to buying illegal cigarettes.
    If Economics 101 is what you mentioned, then Economics 102 is about availability of substitutes and the effect on elasticity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

we'd all just cross the border duh :rolleyes::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

OisinT wrote: »
    That's not the issue here. The issue here is that raising the price of cigarettes in this country is turning people to buying illegal cigarettes.
    If Economics 101 is what you mentioned, then Economics 102 is about availability of substitutes and the effect on elasticity.

illegal cigarettes would be flooding the market whether a box of 20 was €1 or €20, spain had a huge problem with illegal cigs despite having one of the lowest prices in the developed world http://www.who.int/tobacco/training/success_stories/en/best_practices_spain_smuggling_control.pdf

most people are not going to go out of their way to buy illegal cigarettes down some lane, if you double the price of a box of 20 in the morning, nearly everyone will grumble but most will pay it

illegal cigarettes would be flooding the market whether a box of 20 was €1 or €20, spain had a huge problem with illegal cigs despite having one of the lowest prices in the developed world http://www.who.int/tobacco/training/success_stories/en/best_practices_spain_smuggling_control.pdf

most people are not going to go out of their way to buy illegal cigarettes down some lane, if you double the price of a box of 20 in the morning, nearly everyone will grumble but most will pay it
    It's not down "some lane" though. Walk down Moore St. at least 10 people will come up to you and ask if you want to buy cigarettes.

I don't think it will solve the illegal cigarettes problem with price, but it will make illegal cigarettes less attractive to lower the price. I don't think that raising the price is going to do anything and I do not buy that people are going to grumble and pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Think of it this way, if VAT this Christmas is 23% and €50mil is spent that means that the tax take is €11.5mil.
    If VAT was lowered to 15% I would estimate that the people would spend twice as much buying gifts.

It doesn't take a member of mensa to figure this out does it?
    If prices were lowered 8%, people would spend twice as much [in your opinion]
    I´m sorry, but thats just... just no.

• Advertisement

If prices were lowered 8%, people would spend twice as much [in your opinion]
    I´m sorry, but thats just... just no.
    Why? Did you read my reasoning?

I'm assuming no. I'm also assuming that you have no relevant backing evidence to say otherwise.

In 2009, €435m was spent by people from the Republic in the North (CSO statistics).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I do not buy that people are going to grumble and pay.

and yet a box of 20 has risen by how much over the past 18-20 years?? 400%+ i would assume because i can remember them costing no more than 2 punt back in 1991-92

and yet a box of 20 has risen by how much over the past 18-20 years?? 400%+ i would assume because i can remember them costing no more than 2 punt back in 1991-92
    What's your point? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

prob that the price has risen steadily and all the Irish have ever done is grumble and pay it?

Yawns wrote: »
    prob that the price has risen steadily and all the Irish have ever done is grumble and pay it?
    Then what's all this news about illegal cigarette trade being bigger than ever?

So every1 buys illegal smokes now? Noone buys in shops?

I'd say the illegal trade is booming due to piss poor security checks. That documentary was on tv3 the other day about airport security. I watched it for 5 mins, they showed the control room with half monitors not functioning and no radio equipment. Person monitoring the controls had to call the security via mobile phone so they could track 2 people who were caught smuggling about 5 times before, also they were flying 2 - 3 times a day from Turkey etc with the smokes.

Maybe if we had more stringent customs checks etc the business wouldn't be booming so much. How much do people spend on smokes these days? I bet a lot and I'm sure the average smoker doesn't just buy a pack of 20 for the week...

• Advertisement

So every1 buys illegal smokes now? Noone buys in shops?

I'd say the illegal trade is booming due to piss poor security checks. That documentary was on tv3 the other day about airport security. I watched it for 5 mins, they showed the control room with half monitors not functioning and no radio equipment. Person monitoring the controls had to call the security via mobile phone so they could track 2 people who were caught smuggling about 5 times before, also they were flying 2 - 3 times a day from Turkey etc with the smokes.

Maybe if we had more stringent customs checks etc the business wouldn't be booming so much. How much do people spend on smokes these days? I bet a lot and I'm sure the average smoker doesn't just buy a pack of 20 for the week...
    ugh. I don't have the patience to keep posting the same thing over and over.

Please show me where I ever said everyone is buying illegal cigarettes?

I gathered from your post your implying most ppl will just go to illegal smugglers if prices go up. I'm pretty sure that more ppl buy legal than illegal. The only reason there's a boom in illegal cigs is because customs security is ****.

I gathered from your post your implying most ppl will just go to illegal smugglers if prices go up. I'm pretty sure that more ppl buy legal than illegal. The only reason there's a boom in illegal cigs is because customs security is ****.
    Which one of my 7 posts in this thread is that?

TL:DR

playing game so am just popping in and out as I wait to respawn but

Originally Posted by OisinT

They have grumbled for years and still paid. They will continue to grumble and pay. The illegal trade may be booming but not due to prices of our ciggs. Sure people will always try to bring things in cheap and flogg em off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Was in France last week.

Pints are 8 euro.....................

Everybody drives to the nightclub then home again.
    says it all really

• Advertisement

TL:DR

playing game so am just popping in and out as I wait to respawn but

Originally Posted by OisinT

They have grumbled for years and still paid. They will continue to grumble and pay. The illegal trade may be booming but not due to prices of our ciggs. Sure people will always try to bring things in cheap and flogg em off.
    Read the whole thread. I don't have the time or patience to repost things.

Why? Did you read my reasoning?

I'm assuming no. I'm also assuming that you have no relevant backing evidence to say otherwise.

In 2009, €435m was spent by people from the Republic in the North (CSO statistics).
    Yes, unfortunately you do not seem to have a great grasp of basic economics. I´m not the first to imply this.

This is evidenced by the others quoting your "figures" and disputing your logical jumps of faith.
    What you do demonstrate is that you cannot accept criticism and are of slightly below average intelligence.

ps, we´re not in 2009 or Kansas anymore, Toto.

Yes, unfortunately you do not seem to have a great grasp of basic economics. I´m not the first to imply this.

This is evidenced by the others quoting your "figures" and disputing your logical jumps of faith.
    What you do demonstrate is that you cannot accept criticism and are of slightly below average intelligence.

ps, we´re not in 2009 or Kansas anymore, Toto.
    This doesn't even make sense. :rolleyes:

Good job attempting to attack the poster instead of the post though. I'd say your grasp on any economics second only to your grasp on the English language.
    I posted the figures and rationale for them... you post insults that make little to no sense.

This doesn't even make sense. :rolleyes:

Good job attempting to attack the poster instead of the post though. I'd say your grasp on any economics second only to your grasp on the English language.
    I posted the figures and rationale for them... you post insults that make little to no sense.
    Sorry English is not my first or second language.
    And please, please... do not "knock" some other guys English while having obvious mistakes yourself. Its juvenile to comment on somebodies English level in any case. But if you have errors in your own it reflects poorly on you.

Anyway I disagree with your ridiculous statements on economics because a relatively small % of the population actually travels to Northern Ireland to buy stuff. Its obvious that you pulled some numbers from your ass, and its also obvious that you like to argue on the internet all day every day, so I will leave it at that. Its sunny outside and I smells somebody cooking brekfast so I am off to get some :D

Sorry English is not my first or second language.
    And please, please... do not "knock" some other guys English while having obvious mistakes yourself. Its juvenile to comment on somebodies English level in any case. But if you have errors in your own it reflects poorly on you.

Anyway I disagree with your ridiculous statements on economics because a relatively small % of the population actually travels to Northern Ireland to buy stuff. Its obvious that you pulled some numbers from your ass, and its also obvious that you like to argue on the internet all day every day, so I will leave it at that. Its sunny outside and I smells somebody cooking brekfast so I am off to get some :D
    Missing comma, wow. Your post makes no sense. :rolleyes:

As I said in my post, those figures were CSO statistics, not "pulled from my ass".
    It's clear that you have no reply and are merely trolling my posts. So go outside and choke on your breakfast.

You´re an angry young guy and I suggest that you re-evaluate your decision to share every excruciatingly interesting thought you have on the internet.
    Choke on my breakfast indeed!

CSO never said they could double spending by lowering tax, don´t tell little lies, little man!

You´re an angry young guy and I suggest that you re-evaluate your decision to share every excruciatingly interesting thought you have on the internet.
    Choke on my breakfast indeed!

CSO never said they could double spending by lowering tax, don´t tell little lies, little man!
    What are you on about? Either post something useful or stop trolling.

Advertisement