Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working and having a dog

• 30-11-2010 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

Hey everyone,

ive wanted a dog since forever, even moreso lately as ive moved away from home and i miss the family dog terribly (im in another country, so i cant really visit him).

Affording a dog isnt a problem and my boyf would love one too, but i'd hate leaving a dog at home alone while i go to work. Being that theyre social animals, i'd feel guilty if i wasnt spending most of my time with the dog. But pretty much everyone has to work and people still manage to have dogs as well as a full time job. Im just wondering how they do it? It it cruel to the dog to leave it on its own while you're at work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It depends on a lot of things, very difficult guestion. What hours? Can you get a walker in or send it to daycare? What type of dog? Adopting an adult greyhound or two for company, walking them morning and evening and having someone call in mid day, could work well. Depending on your lifestyle. You have to remember that there'd be no more going out straight from work, dogs need to be looked after first. It really hits your social life. (not that I had much of one) but is worth it if you are willing to put in the effort.

I've a greyhound, they're great!

IMG_0799_640x480.jpg

I work during the day and my partner works strange hours (either during the day or at night, or both!). We've a few friends who are unemployed at the moment so we give them a few quid to walk Snickers for us during the day, works for us and them. So the dog gets a walk during the morning, one in the afternoon, and one at night. Couldn't be happier!

I don't see the problem with leaving the dog by itself for periods of 4-5 hours each myself, having someone come in to walk them breaks up the day for the animals, and my guy normally sleeps straight after some sort of exercise for a few hours anyways! If you're dedicated to making it work and thinking what's best for the dog, then go for it I'd say, you'll make it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can't afford to pay a dog walker, so I got two dogs to keep each other company during the day. I wouldn't leave puppies alone though, so I'd recommend getting a couple of adult dogs maybe from a rescue.

Some rescues unfortunately won't rehome to houses where there isn't someone home all day, so it's worth phoning round and seeing what their rehoming policy is.

If you work and want a dog, I'd find two - and make sure they get on well together. Especially if you can't find someone to walk them.
    Our two stay at home on their own for the day, but they have each other and toys and are happy to sleep, especially since one is 11-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If you are thinking of adopting, please consider an older dog or two. I have a friend in their 60's (who works 6 hours a day) just adopted a pair of terriers that are 6 and 8, they had been in the rescue for almost a year, no one wanted them as they were older, their owner had gone into a home, and they were so sad.
    They have turned into the two sweetest, playful, cuddliest dogs I ever saw. They love a little walk in the morning and snooze until she comes home.
    The rescue had no problem with her working because the dogs were older and the max they would be left is 6 hours.
    Would well be worth asking around the rescues.
    Also as someone said, a friend or neighbour may be willing to do the dog walker thing for you.

Just to add, I have two dogs, I got them when my hours were less, now I'm working 7hours at a time, but they are fine once they get a half hour in the morning and a good walk (or two)after work. I often wake them up when I get home, lazy dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If you're thinking of getting a puppy research crate training.

When I got my pup first I had him on my own (as I lived on my own) but he was only on his own for 3-4 hours at a time. I think the most amount of time you should leave a dog for his 8/9 hours (not that i'm recommending that) but it is after that length of time that a dog will start to suffer from anxiety and when you eventually do get home you'll find loads of destruction, toilet training forgotten etc etc. Coincidentally during the bad snow last year I was 4 hours late and when I got in my pup had carried out his first chewing attack.

As a previous poster said you should try a walk in the morning to tire the dog a bit. You should try and establish a routine so the dog knows when he/she will be fed, walked etc. My pup got to the stage where he knew what time I would be home at.

Now I live with my bf and my bf's dad and my pup has loads of company during the day and considering he is going through his teenage phase, it really helps :)

You need to make sure you have enough time to train, exercise and play with the puppy. There is no point getting a dog if you're out all day and come in too exhausted to entertain the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

Thanks for all the advice :)

In answer to some questions, I work 9-5, so i generally have to leave at 8 and get back at 6. My boyf would leave at 9 and get home about 5. I dont really do much after work though, so id have the evening to spend with the dog, and id love taking it off to the beach or the countryside at the weekends.
    Also, we haven't lived here very long so we wouldnt be friendly with the neighbours to ask them to check on the dogs...but paying a dog walker might work if we could find someone trustworthy.

The reason im so concerned about leaving a dog alone, is that the family dog really hates being on his own, even for a short amount of time. It could be because he is very rarely left alone, so maybe he just isnt used it or maybe its his breed (he's a bichon and ive read that as a breed they don't like being alone at all).

I had thought of having two dogs, as i wouldnt feel so bad knowing they had each other for company. But is it a lot of work having two dogs??

ash2008 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice :)

In answer to some questions, I work 9-5, so i generally have to leave at 8 and get back at 6. My boyf would leave at 9 and get home about 5. I dont really do much after work though, so id have the evening to spend with the dog, and id love taking it off to the beach or the countryside at the weekends.
    Also, we haven't lived here very long so we wouldnt be friendly with the neighbours to ask them to check on the dogs...but paying a dog walker might work if we could find someone trustworthy.

The reason im so concerned about leaving a dog alone, is that the family dog really hates being on his own, even for a short amount of time. It could be because he is very rarely left alone, so maybe he just isnt used it or maybe its his breed (he's a bichon and ive read that as a breed they don't like being alone at all).

I had thought of having two dogs, as i wouldnt feel so bad knowing they had each other for company. But is it a lot of work having two dogs??

Not that much more than having one. Make sure they get on well together, buy double the food and one more lead for walks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bluewolf wrote: »
    Not that much more than having one. Make sure they get on well together, buy double the food and one more lead for walks :)
    That's about the only extra hassel that I've found anyway. With some practise you can even pet two dogs with one hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I actually find my dog is more work since my old dog passed on as she was happy enough pottering round the garden for hours when he was there sleeping in his spot. She doesn't really like staying out now on her own. It was great having him here in her early puppy days. I plan on getting another but am going to wait another year or so now untill she is older and hopefully calmer, she's just 7 months now. You might find 2 a bit extra work in the beginning while they settle in but 2 should be much easier than 1 after this period. Of course when you weigh up the costs if 2 dogs are happy entertaining each other during the day, you won't have the costs of the dog walker/daycare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I know what you mean about the guilt of going to work but its very manageable you just need to put in the walks in the morning and if you can arrange a dog walker then in general it should be okay, my boy loves company but he got used to it and now the minute we come back from ur pre work walk he runs to the back door to go out because he knows hes going to be getting some treats and a couple of hours kip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hi Ash, do u or ur bf work close to where u live so one cld pop home at lunch?
    We got two spaniel x collie pups in aug and they've been fine while we've been at work. But bf goes home at lunch everyday and is only working 3 days at the minute.
    Be prepared for the odd hole to be dug, here and there!
    As the other posters say, the only difference with 2 is the amount of food u go thru! I got a splitter chain so only need one lead. It's a godsend!
    Oh and you'll have twice the amount of licks and affection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭beccaboom

we have a bichon and he is on his own for about 5 hours a day and he is fine , he has his kong and he has the radio and is in the kitchen /dining room with his bed and his toys and when we get home he gets a walk and we play and he is as happy as larry.
    when we leave we tell him to mind the house and give him a dog sausage and he knows that we will be back after work for a walk. We felt the guilt thing too but he is warm , well fed and excercised. we house trained him and then use puppy pads when we are out and he never soils other then on the mat.
    Good Luck x

Advertisement