Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartphone recomendations

• 30-11-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for a present for a friend. Smartphone. Ideally along the lines of iphone or similar but unfortunately price is the restricting factor. 250€ max. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

You could pick up a very good condition 2nd hand iPhone 3G 8gb/16gb with 250 have a look at adverts and done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

James2693 wrote: »
    You could pick up a very good condition 2nd hand iPhone 3G 8gb/16gb with 250 have a look at adverts and done deal

Yeah, have been watching closely. Leaving the iphone aside, any recomendations for a half decent smart phone which could be purchased ready to go on Vodafone ? The iphone would be ideal but 2nd hand and prezzies dont really go hand in hand. So I'll just drop the bar and hunt for something else :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Tbh i bought a wildfire a couple months ago, its smaller and the resolution might not be as good as the bigger phones, but it works pretty well and froyo 2.2 will also be available shortly, cost me 239 but i think you can get it cheaper now i believe, its a good phone for a good price.

Btwndeyes wrote: »
    Tbh i bought a wildfire a couple months ago, its smaller and the resolution might not be as good as the bigger phones, but it works pretty well and froyo 2.2 will also be available shortly, cost me 239 but i think you can get it cheaper now i believe, its a good phone for a good price.

Cheers. Will look at this. Network ? Non contract ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

dodzy wrote: »
    Cheers. Will look at this. Network ? Non contract ?
    I got it on pay as you go mteor, 20E a month for free meteor texts and 250mb internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

3 has some pretty competitive prices and I find them to be really good all around.

As phones goes, I would recommend HTC desire or Samsung Galaxy S but I found if you are looking for something cheaper that the Samsung Spica is a really pretty good phone at a really nice price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Btwndeyes wrote: »

having played around with the wildfire today I have to say I prefer the Orange San Francisco, the wildfire is probably a bit snappier but the screen on the SF is a lot better.

OP if you are heading up north you can get the San Francisco for around £120 and it is cheap enough to get unlocked online. truthfully it is probably the best value for money midrange smarthphone at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Generous present. :)
    Id echo the above and say the HTC wildfire. Have a visit to a 3 store and there should be a live model to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

what about the orange san franscisco? get it for 120 sterling up north - zap a new rom on it. unlock it - use it on any network. grand job.
    i got a HTC hero fro 140 off boards.
    plenty of options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

+1 for the wildfire.

Its a cut down version of the desire.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for recomendations. Picked up the Desire ( as new / boxed / factory unlocked ) for 170. Prob could have got it a little cheaper but after the knowlegeable comments above, I'm sure the recipient will be happy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Thanks all for recomendations. Picked up the Desire ( as new / boxed / factory unlocked ) for 170. Prob could have got it a little cheaper but after the knowlegeable comments above, I'm sure the recipient will be happy ;)

That's a pretty good price, did you get it on ebay?

AntiRip wrote: »
    That's a pretty good price, did you get it on ebay?
    Nope. Adverts. Dublin pick up to boot. Collecting it Saturday. Spoke to the owner and he assured me that it is absolutely as new condition. Wrapped in cotton wool from day one, the usual ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Nope. Adverts. Dublin pick up to boot. Collecting it Saturday. Spoke to the owner and he assured me that it is absolutely as new condition. Wrapped in cotton wool from day one, the usual ;)

Very good deal..enjoy ;)

Advertisement