Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma newbie inhaler question

Options
  • 30-11-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm an asthma newbie - i'm 32 and have had it for the last year since I had surgery to remove a mass on my thyroid. The mass was compressing my airway and had grown down into my chest and was causing me pain when I took a deep breath etc. Anyhoos I haven't been getting any relief from my blue reliever for ages but the cold weather has really been causing probs so finally went to the docs and got a preventer 2 weeks ago for the first time - the purple diskus one. I'm not really feeling much difference with the preventer and find I'm still needing to take 8 puffs of my blue one every day. Is it normal for the preventer to take weeks to kick in or do I maybe need a different one? I've been holding out going back to the GP because the last visit cos €55 and the inhaler was €61! :( On the Asthma society of Ireland webpage it says it can take up to a month for the preventer to work but friends who have them have told me that if i'm not seeing and difference after two weeks it's time to head back to the GP.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Its not unusual for an inhaler not to suit but you should ring your doctor. If they want to change it you may be able to just pick up a script rather than going back.
    Make sure you are taking it correctly and also the cold weather may be delaying effect but it very well may take up to a month for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

I had bad asthma as a child (have "grown out of it" to a certain extent thanksfully). Still though, have also experienced increased need for the blue one with the cold weather in recent weeks - haven't been medicated for the preventative in years but do remember experiencing relief from it only after a few weeks of usage. As mentioned above though - check it out with the doctor if you're getting nothing out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys - I called the doc earlier and have to head in this evening so they can have a listen and see whats going on etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i'm going to close the trhead as we cant give specifc medical advice here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement