Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temperatures may rise in the sun etc but that bares little relevance as the corresponding dew point is probably much lower. In precip the temp will dive.

Difference here from earlier is that there is no more wet graupel, but flakes of snow in the wind, even though it is sunny.

It gives credence to the fact the cold drier air i beginning to make steady inroads, by nightfall it will be Siberian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Any chance of snow out by newmarket area? It's snowing in Cork City, so I wonder will it come out here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kenskool

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Any idea what glencullen is like ?

Not sure but i would say its very bad. Massive flurrys and heavy snow coming down now!!:)

Think its time for me to leggit to shops and get few bits in so I dont have to go out in the Siberian air tomorrow :)
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

M2 DP gone down to -0.5 @ 12pm :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Bingo

DP @ m2 buoy now -0.5

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Just got text from a friend in Cork City...he says that the snow that has fallen is very light and hardly any left at this stage:mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

smokin ace wrote: »
    no but if the temp keep rising it wont help
    is not to warm up slightly by the weekend

No one knows. It may or it may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Random754.jpg

Random743.jpg

Random753.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

RTE says - Councils in Wexford, Wicklow, Waterford, Kilkenny and Carlow have had gritting lorries out since 7am trying to keep the main roads open but hundreds of secondary and minor roads are still dangerous.

U have to wonder - given that half of Wicklow leaves for Dublin by 0700, could they not grit the roads from 0530 or 0600 ? The weather's not exactly a surprise; it's rather poor form that we have to guess whether or not we'll get out/to work/to school/whatever. I don't want to put the country down, but other countries seem to manage to have snow in the fields and clear tarmac, year in year out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Starting again South Kilkenny, wet enough but also heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

brownian wrote: »
    RTE says - Councils in Wexford, Wicklow, Waterford, Kilkenny and Carlow have had gritting lorries out since 7am trying to keep the main roads open but hundreds of secondary and minor roads are still dangerous.

U have to wonder - given that half of Wicklow leaves for Dublin by 0700, could they not grit the roads from 0530 or 0600 ? The weather's not exactly a surprise; it's rather poor form that we have to guess whether or not we'll get out/to work/to school/whatever. I don't want to put the country down, but other countries seem to manage to have snow in the fields and clear tarmac, year in year out.

Frowm Wicklow Co. Council's website :

The following salting arrangements will be in operation this evening/early tomorrow morning:

N11 – 4 p.m., 12 midnight, and between 4a.m. and 6 a.m. on Tuesday morning
    N81 – 4 p.m. and 3.a.m. (Tuesday)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Temperatures may rise in the sun etc but that bares little relevance as the corresponding dew point is probably much lower. In precip the temp will dive.

Difference here from earlier is that there is no more wet graupel, but flakes of snow in the wind, even though it is sunny.

It gives credence to the fact the cold drier air i beginning to make steady inroads, by nightfall it will be Siberian.
    WC any idea how far inland the snowline is/will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

brownian wrote: »

In other countries they work through the night to clear roads,here they do it after the fact.Isn't the saying "prevention is better than cure". Anyhow, thaw here in Enniscorthy but getting breezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭south

looks like rain here in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    No one knows. It may or it may not.

i have currently lost hope for north wexford for a fresh fall of snow as it seem the fronts crossing dublin are not making it down to us or they are way down east and along with the rising temp currently +3.2c and a seriously heavy thaw happening its not looking good i think the most will happen to this part of the country is get sharp to severe frost and feel bitterly cold
    BUT NO SNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

what would the experts say the chances are for the band of preciputation moving over Birmingham to continue on it's path and hit Kerry....?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

zerks wrote: »
    In other countries they work through the night to clear roads,here they do it after the fact.Isn't the saying "prevention is better than cure". Anyhow, thaw here in Enniscorthy but getting breezy.

Here in Ireland, we close the stable door AFTER the horse has bolted. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

The main road in Wicklow was treated this morning and I was out at 6am so it was done before than. It was much better than yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just wondering, seeing as the easterly winds are really driving down tempertures, they said with the northern winds at the weekend tempetures will not be as severe, Is this always the case?? Is air from east always colder than the norths?
    Northerly winds will give more snow potential for me Im pretty sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

In swords, a tiny bit of sleety snow - what happened all my snow that was promised!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

just for those who are talking of a thaw the GFS prediction for 9:00am tomorrow is that upper air temperature will be minus ten!!!

there will be a thaw today for a while but as weather check has said this airmass is going to get cold, frost could break records wed/thur night

h850t850eu.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

snowing(graupel) in East Meath at the moment. Intermittent. Can't see it lasting. Shows that it's cold enough for snow now when it was raining earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

Just back from a walk down to Rathmines centre to stock up the cupboards. Lots of meltwater on the footpaths as well as slush and compacted snow. When temps drop later and it freezes over we're going to need ice-skates!

I'm near the canal in Rathmines and lots of thaw going on. My snowman's head is about to fall off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Starting to snow again in Cork City. The snubble has been burst! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Its pelting down snow now in Mullingar, snow is around 4 inches thick where I am.

In the town there have been countless cars and lorries sliding off the roads, seems we've been one of the worst towns hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

premiercad wrote: »
    just for those who are talking of a thaw the GFS prediction for 9:00am tomorrow is that upper air temperature will be minus ten!!!

there will be a thaw today for a while but as weather check has said this airmass is going to get cold, frost could break records wed/thur night

h850t850eu.png

just as i said severe frost will set in but no snow for north wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Sudden snow in d15...sun to the west. Weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Blue skies in Crumlin....getting depressed :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

next batch of showers should bring a further decrease in temp over the Dublin area

http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    raintoday.co.uk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement