Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

View of the Boyne from our apt window

scaled.php?tn=0&server=259&filename=snow0.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

DominoDub mentioned earlier that he/she was reading the streams coming in on the bay.
    Can anyone say what the "streams" refer to please?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    By it's very nature optimism is more positive than negativity.

doesn't make it any less crazy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 solasame

ice + slow = sticking snow

you made me lol! Ice and slow = sticking snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 richardgreene

Snow and graupel in strong wond Dublin city centre now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

snowing heavily again in Castleknock, Dublin 15. Problem is although the temperature has fallen to freezing point these showers are very short lived and are fragmented. Nothing decent cloud formation yet today.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Snowing pretty heavy now in D4, there is grupel mixed in too.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

ntlbell wrote: »

No, but less unpleasant to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

D.P. has now gone to a daily low in Ashford of -1.8°C having hovered around +1 all day - that's in the last hour. Some indication of a bit of a drop.

Make that D.P. now of -2.8°C at 13:21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Besides... thaw = water

water + oncoming Siberian air = ice

ice + slow = sticking snow

Unless the snow melts and the grounds are dry the cold air will do the rest.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL4vou2tars&feature=player_embedded

some lightning from the 27th over the irish sea :eek: :eek: (Not My vid)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Personally, I'm inclined to believe the actual data that many people are providing as opposed to anecdotal speculative remaks about there 'definitely being a thaw on'.

its not speculation that there is a thaw at the moment because the snow that is left here is melting very fast and many other posters has said the same and thats the current conditions
    but if you look at my previous posts a few pages back i said there will be severe frost come night fall but no snow and i am talking about my area of the country
    there was a "snow event" predicted last night for the east and south east but only very few parts got good snow i sat up until 3.30am last night and many posters reported sleet rain hail and snow
    so whats so special about it now when it did not happen last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Snowing again here in Dun Laoighre quite heavy but not cold enough to stick :(
    The temp here is 4 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The 12pm met.ie update for Leinster/Dublin isn't very positive on there being any substantial precipitation for the rest of today and tonight. 'Light and scattered' hail/sleet/snow apparently :\

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

solasame wrote: »
    you made me lol! Ice and slow = sticking snow.

I was distracted by the snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Snow and graupel in strong wond Dublin city centre now

strong wond :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Went to the shops to stock up on provisions before the end of the world arrives.
    The car thermometer said 4C in the driveway and there's loads of thawing going on.
    Went up to Penny Hill in Lucan and the temperature there was 2C.
    Occasional wintry showers but the sun is now out.
    Whenever the wind blows though, it's biting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Snowing now in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Graupelfest here in D14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

disappointing crappy day here, thaw and snow showers that aren't doing anything :( can't see it cooling very much this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

OMG!! Tramore co.waterford SNOW SNOW SNOW, INCREDIBLE,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

ntlbell wrote: »

Optimism early last week for the weekend east coast seafront snow events was indeed crazy. The November Irish sea is so warm, the air over the sea is so warm etc Nother damp squid like the big frontal event last December that ended up being 2 days of constant rain. etc etc

Optimism now, when conditions by 6pm are returning to exactly the same if not better than they were for the weekend snow events, is not crazy at all. In fact its crazy not to be optimistic about tonights events! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

RobitTV wrote: »
    Snowing now in Waterford

Only teasing us all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

M2 buoy dewpoint at 1300 is -1.3. Had been positive in the morning. Colder air is coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

smokin ace wrote: »
    its not speculation that there is a thaw at the moment because the snow that is left here is melting very fast and many other posters has said the same and thats the current conditions
    but if you look at my previous posts a few pages back i said there will be severe frost come night fall but no snow and i am talking about my area of the country
    there was a "snow event" predicted last night for the east and south east but only very few parts got good snow i sat up until 3.30am last night and many posters reported sleet rain hail and snow
    you have the cold siberian air blowing in now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 W23

Fairly heavy snow / graupel / hail shower in UCD ...Sticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

so is this it or could it get worse again at the weekend ?? could this just have been a little warning for us to get ready. i do hope it was just a little warning want to see snow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 dmac1989

Very very heavy shower in balbriggan. Making an attempt to stick. hopefully sign of things to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

smokin ace wrote: »

If you look at the 1st post - there is some evidence of this materialising in coastal areas based on some of the data that is being shared. That's the 'forecast' that I am focussing on.

Dew points will fall notably across the east during the early Afternoon and it is expected that snow showers and streamers will set up across the East and push a fair way inland during the afternoon and evening...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads roads are going to be treacherouse tomorrow in Cork City i would imagine. Some schools have closed early apparently and business in the city are sending people home if they are not needed - this is all hearsay but i wouldnt be suprised if it's true (heard it from work colleagues)

Also my mums friend was on her way up to my house today from Glounthane - had to abandon the car cos the roads were so bad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement