Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Jesus it's only snow like!

Back of the class please!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

:
    adox wrote: »
    Back of the class please!

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

smokin ace wrote: »
    this is a question for the experts out there will it snow down in the south east or is it only dublin going to get it

The lads have constantly said the East, not specifically Dublin.

In fairness you got more snow in the South East than parts of Dublin got. Considering Wexford doesnt get that much(i lived there for 21 years), be happy with what you got instead of trying to put a damper on everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

:( All my snow has melted from my garden:( Ah well myself and the kids enjoyed it while it was here, 'snowy the snowman' looks a bit droopy;)

I'll keep lurkin on here to see when i'm nxt due a nice bit of the lovely white stuff;)

Anyone who is still getting snow, enjoy it while it lasts:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Gremlin wrote: »
    Thanks roughies. I notice on the sat pic animation the convection seems to be seriously picking up just east of a line between anglesea and IOM(S) Also North of IOM looks good.

Yeah the colder air is moving in now, M2 buoy DP down to -1.3 :)

Even the dreaded Isle of Man snow shadow for the Louth area doesn't look too bad, with some nice convection happining there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

The sun is shining in Galway and any exposed areas have no snow left:-( I can see a nice front moving over Scotland with Galway bound written all over it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

light snow/sleet in blanch d15 :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rougies wrote: »
    Even the dreaded Isle of Man snow shadow for the Louth area doesn't look too bad, with some nice convection happining there too.

If the wind went slightly more to the NE, we'd be doing much better here. If you look at http://www.sat24.com/gb you can see the heaviest showers atm are over north Dublin, Meath and into Westmeath - all these heaviest showers are devloping off the southern tip of the IOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Rougies wrote: »
    Yeah the colder air is moving in now, M2 buoy DP down to -1.3 :)

Should be down to Zero by 5 pm in most places except Wexford. Then get steadily colder from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

M2 Buoy DP -0.6, up slightly

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That M2 buoy went back to -0.6 degrees at 14:00. Bad sign I assume for snow?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If the wind went slightly more to the NE, we'd be doing much better here. If you look at http://www.sat24.com/gb you can see the heaviest showers atm are over north Dublin, Meath and into Westmeath - all these heaviest showers are devloping off the southern tip of the IOM.

At the moment they seem to be alright. I'd rather the wind stay just the way it is though, we have a nice long sea track at the moment, things should really get going soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

m2 up slightly to -0.6 but still cold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Royal Dub wrote: »
    Hi there experts,
    what were the conditions that brought about the big snow in 1982 was it or 1985?

Frontal Snow. Basically a big mass of really wet cloud coming from the South West off the Atlantic bumping up against a Siberian easterly air stream like we have now. The line where these two airmasses met was where masses of snow fell. North East of the Line you were just chilly. South West of the Line you got very very wet. Under the line which ran from Wexford to Galway, you got more snow than you ever saw before or since.

There was a big possibilty of Frontal snow around Christmas last year but conditions weren't quite right and the line where the two systems met wasn't over Ireland so all we ended up with was 48hrs of non stop rain.

Frontal snow hasn't happed yet this week but you never know. the Winter is very very young

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

i know but its fun when it comes :D:D:D:D

Hi ace :D

It's not fair that you're missing out.
    I'm a bit south of Gorey take a drive down here and steal some fun (and tell me how the roads are).

We've had a significant bit of everything white falling on and off all morning til about 45 mins ago (maybe less). Some felt like gale force winds! Heeeeaaaavy showers of: fluffy snow, graupel, sleet and possibly tiny hail (not in that order). No rain (that I saw. Been pretty busy today). Temps have risen by about 0.5º in the last 2-3 hours, but still only 2.1º. Quite a bit of thawing going on as well.

But all those wild showers of white stuff did accumulate. I had JUST put out fresh birdseed when the graupel/hailstorm came and covered it in at least a single layer in just a few seconds!

Seemed more compact than graupel and bigger, but still very small for hail. (I need a lesson on distinguishing between the two when it isn't obvious to the mere amateur.)

Are you north of Gorey? It's a shame you weren't getting this too. I took a few vids, but don't have time to download etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

this is a question for the experts out there will it snow down in the south east or is it only dublin going to get it

Have a look at http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ and DOCARCH's post above should answer your question!

The lads have constantly said the East, not specifically Dublin.

In fairness you got more snow in the South East than parts of Dublin got. Considering Wexford doesnt get that much(i lived there for 21 years), be happy with what you got instead of trying to put a damper on everyone else

i am not but look at met forecast yesterday at 6pm it was to be snowmageddon but by 9pm the met changed it to rain and sleet with snow showers but the experts on boards were saying that the met was wrong that we would get hammered but clearly by 3am last night it was not happening as widespread as the boards experts said

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

hail and sleet outside new ross and windy, looks like snow on the way - sky very rey

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Just walked to the shops. Paths have a lot if slush. If it freezes later they will be lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Drip Drip Drip stopped in south Meath and we have precip. Very small flakes, quite heavy, but I cant see if its sticking. Getting heavier

Edit : getting quite dark also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Heavy snow now in Leixlip in Kildare, will see how long it lasts.

Loved the lightning last night, havent seen any in years!

5starpool wrote: »
    That M2 buoy went back to -0.6 degrees at 14:00. Bad sign I assume for snow?

It would be a bad sign if it continued going up. But once it stays under about 0.5 it's ok! Under 0 even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

This is a very important request for information!

I am giving serious consideration to having several pints in Dublin city centre from around 4pm this afternoon. I intend to vacate the pub circa 7pm.

Given expected outcome of being in pub for 3 hours (me slightly pished), what sort of condition do people think the paths will be in? Treacherously icy, pleasantly snowy or merely slippy?

Hi ace :D

It's not fair that you're missing out.
    I'm a bit south of Gorey take a drive down here and steal some fun (and tell me how the roads are).

We've had a significant bit of everything white falling on and off all morning til about 45 mins ago (maybe less). Some felt like gale force winds! Heeeeaaaavy showers of: fluffy snow, graupel, sleet and possibly tiny hail (not in that order). No rain (that I saw. Been pretty busy today). Temps have risen by about 0.5º in the last 2-3 hours, but still only 2.1º. Quite a bit of thawing going on as well.

But all those wild showers of white stuff did accumulate. I had JUST put out fresh birdseed when the graupel/hailstorm came and covered it in at least a single layer in just a few seconds!

Seemed more compact than graupel and bigger, but still very small for hail. (I need a lesson on distinguishing between the two when it isn't obvious to the mere amateur.)

Are you north of Gorey? It's a shame you weren't getting this too. I took a few vids, but don't have time to download etc.

i am south of gorey aswell by about 8 miles but it seemed that the showers were very localised as i could see them in the distance and fair enough we got some good snow over the weekend but all i am saying is we wont get any more in our neck of the woods and that all we will get is severe frost but no more snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

df1985 wrote: »
    Heavy snow now in Leixlip in Kildare, will see how long it lasts.

Loved the lightning last night, havent seen any in years!

The minute i post it, it stops!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

snow showers now in the celtic sea. seriously a waste like

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

snowing slightly in north kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Calibos wrote: »
    Under the line which ran from Wexford to Galway, you got more snow than you ever saw before or since.

I remember it - I was five at the time and never seen anything like it since!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

after picking up a bit in Naas with wind and light snow. the wind is making it look more impressive than it actually is :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

This is a very important request for information!

I am giving serious consideration to having several pints in Dublin city centre from around 4pm this afternoon. I intend to vacate the pub circa 7pm.

Given expected outcome of being in pub for 3 hours (me slightly pished), what sort of condition do people think the paths will be in? Treacherously icy, pleasantly snowy or merely slippy?

Haha love it :D - better just have the 6 or 7 pints I reckon...

Here's a rule of thumb for you - if the number of pints consumed exceeds the number of degrees celcius then you're in trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement