Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Calibos wrote: »

There was a big possibilty of Frontal snow around Christmas last year but conditions weren't quite right and the line where the two systems met wasn't over Ireland so all we ended up with was 48hrs of non stop rain.

Frontal snow hasn't happed yet this week but you never know. the Winter is very very young

We had loads of snow in the few days before Christmas day and on the day itself last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pollyos

snowing south wexford outside new ross

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

smokin ace wrote: »
    i am not but look at met forecast yesterday at 6pm it was to be snowmageddon but by 9pm the met changed it to rain and sleet with snow showers but the experts on boards were saying that the met was wrong that we would get hammered but clearly by 3am last night it was not happening as widespread as the boards experts said

Fair enough, but predicting weather is unpredictable. If you wake up with snow tomorrow its a bonus, thats the way i look at it.

The wind could change anytime and ruin one person fun and give fun to someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

serious thaw on in d15 serious drip drip going on cant see anymore serious snow!!! coming in the next few days :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Calibos wrote: »
    Frontal snow hasn't happed yet this week but you never know. the Winter is very very young

If the last twenty-nine years are anything to go by, such frontal snow is pretty rare here (at least in the East). I'm sure we've had some examples of frontal snow since 1981/82, but to be honest all I can remember in the intervening years has been spells of wintry showers that deliver for some locations, but leave others relatively untouched.

I opened the front door in D12, where I lived at the time of the 'Big Snow' and about 4 foot of the stuff fell into the hall. Not seen a good snowstorm (with drifting) for a looong time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

@Bits_n_Bobs - Don't forget a bag of chips for ballast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

df1985 wrote: »
    Heavy snow now in Leixlip in Kildare, will see how long it lasts.

Loved the lightning last night, havent seen any in years!

(5 min later)NO snow falling now here in Leixlip and the rest melting FAST...estate roads that were solid ice a few hours ago are now slush ...not looking good for more 'snow days' BUT this 'event' seems very unpredictable ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Wibbler wrote: »
    If the last twenty-nine years are anything to go by, such frontal snow is pretty rare here (at least in the East). I'm sure we've had some examples of frontal snow since 1981/82, but to be honest all I can remember in the intervening years has been spells of wintry showers that deliver for some locations, but leave others relatively untouched.

I opened the front door in D12, where I lived at the time of the 'Big Snow' and about 4 foot of the stuff fell into the hall. Not seen a good snowstorm (with drifting) for a looong time. :)

to be fair

rte weather said this morning on rte radio one that a system coming in from the atlantic will hit the cold air in the next few days and form more snow - maybe maybe....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Still snowing away in south Meath

Edit: I think I can call it sleet at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Hmm, the latest forecast on www.met.ie is, how shall I put this, a bit "meh!".
    Not a lot to get excited about really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Fair enough, but predicting weather is unpredictable. If you wake up with snow tomorrow its a bonus, thats the way i look at it.

The wind could change anytime and ruin one person fun and give fun to someone else!

yes your right but with current patterns on raintoday i cant see any more snow happening for the south east apart from maybe the odd wintry shower and i would love to wake up in the morning to find a dumping of snow on the ground but i dont think it will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

The convection out on the Irish Sea seems to be picking up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Here's a rule of thumb for you - if the number of pints consumed exceeds the number of degrees celcius then you're in trouble.

Awesome advice - does the consumption of chips as per Tomohawks recommendation have a material effect on that excellent rule of thumb?

I am also trying to get to grips with this whole "dew points" thingy - do they enter the chips: pints: celcius equation???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Awesome advice - does the consumption of chips as per Tomohawks recommendation have a material effect on that excellent rule of thumb?

I am also trying to get to grips with this whole "dew points" thingy - do they enter the chips:pints:celcius equation???

Too many variables. Like the pace/purpose of your stride for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvCK2o6Zbo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

smokin ace wrote: »
    i am not but look at met forecast yesterday at 6pm it was to be snowmageddon but by 9pm the met changed it to rain and sleet with snow showers but the experts on boards were saying that the met was wrong that we would get hammered but clearly by 3am last night it was not happening as widespread as the boards experts said

What thread were you reading. The boards experts were calling it sleet and rain last night and morning on the eastern coasts as early as yesterday afternoon and were amazed when the MET came out with a snowmageddon forecast at six. The boardsies were saying the Met were wrong about the snomageddon for lastnight/this morning. Then at 9pm the MET changed their tune to forecast rain and sleet, but the boardsies were saying this since yesterday afternoon.

Now the reverse is happening. The boardsies are forecasting Weekend level snowfalls or more along the eastern coasts from late this evening and its the MET that are still saying sleet or rain.

Basically our boardsies have nothing to lose or gain with their forecasts. They call it how they see it. Unfortunately it seems the MET play it safe in both directions because they do have something to lose or gain. If they forecast Snow but we get rain they get in trouble for the councils wasting resources for a non event. As we know, conditions are usually so marginal in Ireland that more often than not the worst case scenario doesn't happen. They play it safe and forecast sleet and rain. If however we already have snow, there is a good chance that the next event might also be snow, so this time the safe play is to forecast snow because if we do get it but they didn't forecast it they get in trouble for the country not preparing itself. Think of it this way. IF there is an 80% chance of Snow, the boardsies will call a snow event. If there is an 80% chance of snow, some civil servent will be putting pressure on the MEt not to call snow unless they are 100% sure because of the risk of wasting resources on a non event or public panic buying, not turning up for work and the resulting economic loss to business etc etc.

ie Thursday before any snow in the country the safe play for the met is not to forecast snow. After the weekend snow, the safe play for the met is to forecast more snow like the snowmageddon forecast at 6pm last night. Today when there is a big thaw and a lot of snow gone on the east coast, the safe play reverts to forecasting no or little snow like this mornings forecasts.

To me, the conservative forecasting by the met because of what they have to lose or gain with their forecasts negates any advantage they have over the boardsies with their access to much more detailed forecasting models/computers than the online cut down varients the boardsies have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fizzlepurplefuz

A snow plough just went down my road :)
    First time ever seeing one :)

Mr. Plow, that's my name, that name again is Mr. Plow!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Defcol wrote: »
    The convection out on the Irish Sea seems to be picking up a bit

thank God. what a wait. My eyes are worn out looking at that raintoday radar replaying itself over and over again:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Wow, now thats a nice heavy bit of snow in Carlow Town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

A15.png?1291127983638

Drive home could be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Cashel Mc

Point well made Calibos, snowing in Carlow again but not sticking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I'm in Waterford (east side near Ballygunner) and can definitely now hear rumbles of thunder! :D

I'd say it's coming from the big dirty grey cloud over Glenmore/New Ross direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Nothing in Dublin City Centre at O'Connell Bridge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

A17.png?1291127983638
    6.00pm
    A19.png?1291127983638
    7.00pm
    A21.png?1291127983638
    8.00pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Dowdy20

snow falling in castlecomer north Kilkenny now.

pretty heavy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

bizarre change in activity between 2.15 and 2.30 radar view...all showers south of city wiped out and north of city seriously beefed up??

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hail/snow in d15 now. Seems a bit darker so maybe it'll last longer than earlier bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

graupel lashing down in d15 dont think it will last:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snow shower headed for city, streamers picking up off the coast and precip its beginning to lose its wetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1130/1224284435846.html

RECORD LOW November temperatures are set to be broken again today with very cold easterly winds and further heavy snowfalls. Met Éireann said that a wind chill factor would combine with heavy snowfalls of up to 25cm (10in) in east Leinster by tonight, making travel difficult and reducing temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

inabina wrote: »
    bizarre change in activity between 2.15 and 2.30 radar view...all showers south of city wiped out and north of city seriously beefed up??

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Yeah, looks to be moving slightly south as it moves west, hopefully the North City will get some!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement