Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm bored now :(
    I wanted to build a snowman, but the snow is too slushy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Great Post Calibos!! Quick question, I am in Bray.. we did really well over the weekend with streamers from the Irish Sea, over the past hour or 2 the DP has been going up and down between -0.9 ans +0.5, the temp is quite high at 4.1C, surely this is too high for widespread snow along the coast? Do you see both going down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Nead21 wrote: »
    2.5 degrees in Carlow Town

My little LCD has it as -0.7C over near the new GoKarting place in Graiguecullen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    serious thaw on in d15 serious drip drip going on cant see anymore serious snow!!! coming in the next few days :mad::mad::mad:

I'm putting a few bets on later. Can i borrow your crystal ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

heavy snow flurries in Finglas right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

What is graupel? Are they hail stones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Coming down in Leixlip again. Wind speeds have increased and the flakes are small.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Cashel Mc

Can anybody tell me when everyone says east leinster i.e Wicklow does that apply to west Wicklow aswell. Reason i ask is im just under the west side of the mountains and was wondering would my location and chances of snow be affected by the mountains, because only have a few cm s so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

chucking down here now big time!!! proper blizzard like

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

allyano16 wrote: »
    What is graupel? Are they hail stones?

Soft hail basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I'm putting a few bets on later. Can i borrow your crystal ball?

You should start a weather betting log ;)

Here in in county Waterford it is literally snow one minute sunshine the next. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Small graupel shower here in Navan but it has stuck. Skies beginning to darken now..

Great Post Calibos!! Quick question, I am in Bray.. we did really well over the weekend with streamers from the Irish Sea, over the past hour or 2 the DP has been going up and down between -0.9 ans +0.5, the temp is quite high at 4.1C, surely this is too high for widespread snow along the coast? Do you see both going down?
    Both will go down tonight with a big drop overnight.
    The dp is the one to watch.
    Theres a strong possibility of thundersnow on the east coast tonight and overnight and into tomorrow on a hit and miss basis,some parts doing better than others due to where the streamers head.
    Bray to Gorey to wexford is at a high risk

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Sun is splitting stone in cork city!! this snubble is bollocks :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Definitely a major thaw in Waterford City today. All the main roads around the town are clear. Winds have changed to a ENE direction and they are bitterly cold too. We have had everything here today, Snow, Sleet and rain but the main feature has been DP rising, thawing and the wind direction change.
    Currently the Temp is 2.3c DP 0.4c. Should be interesting to see if we get any snow this evening and tonight.

More Stats and Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

In the space of two minutes we have gone from clear skies up by Willsbrook in Lucan to a blizzard!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can see on http://www.sat24.com/gb the very slight change in wind direction over the Irish Sea (from ENE to NE) that should swing the heavier showers back towards Dublin CC and the south of Dublin.

2.5c DP -2.1c

Clear sky again!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Remember folks this thread is a bit too addictive.

a6bcd78e_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Both will go down tonight with a big drop overnight.
    The dp is the one to watch.
    Theres a strong possibility of thundersnow on the east coast tonight and overnight and into tomorrow on a hit and miss basis,some parts doing better than others due to where the streamers head.
    Bray to Gorey to wexford is at a high risk

Hi BB . TBH ive had feck all thaw. roads still covered outside - friend just called up from wicklow & she was pretty shocked how bad we have it here ( she abandoned jeep at entrance to estate) School just txt to say open tomo. Is there a likelyhood of that ? Snow chances tonight ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rmarie1

Does anyone know when an Post are going to get their act together and start delivering post again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The M2 has dropped to -1.3 now, light soft hail in D4

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Definitely a major thaw in Waterford City today. All the main roads around the town are clear. Winds have changed to a ENE direction and they are bitterly cold too. We have had everything here today, Snow, Sleet and rain but the main feature has been DP rising, thawing and the wind direction change.
    Currently the Temp is 2.3c DP 0.4c. Should be interesting to see if we get any snow this evening and tonight.

More Stats and Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

According to that Waterford will get snow from 6PM to 6AM

snowwaterford.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Heroditas wrote: »
    Clear sky again!

:D

You would not even bat an eyelid if it was rain.
    But freeze it and its astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Can see on http://www.sat24.com/gb the very slight change in wind direction over the Irish Sea (from ENE to NE) that should swing the heavier showers back towards Dublin CC and the south of Dublin.

2.5c DP -2.1c

Excellent news - it's way too warm ATM though! :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Hi BB . TBH ive had feck all thaw. roads still covered outside - friend just called up from wicklow & she was pretty shocked how bad we have it here ( she abandoned jeep at entrance to estate) School just txt to say open tomo. Is there a likelyhood of that ? Snow chances tonight ??

Give it a couple of hours and I'd be very surprised if you don't have more snow.

rmarie1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when an Post are going to get their act together and start delivering post again?

Depends where you're based.
    I got post delivered to me this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Most misunderstood word of the day - Blizzard!

"To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 35 miles per hour (56 km/h). Additionally, blizzards must reduce visibility to 400 metres (1,300 ft) or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more..."

As a loose description "blizzard-like" I don't mind...:p

Arklow and Bray both have had more snow than wicklow town.
    The veering NE of the wind now will bring in more snow-it could be as bad or worse later in the night I feel as it was friday night into saturday.

• Advertisement

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Most misunderstood word of the day - Blizzard!

"To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 35 miles per hour (56 km/h). Additionally, blizzards must reduce visibility to 400 metres (1,300 ft) or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more..."

As a loose description "blizzard-like" I don't mind...:p

Nope, it was most definitely a blizzard :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement