Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

My gut feeling is that this is gonna be a non-event! We did well this morning, can't see us getting anymore :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Excellent news - it's way too warm ATM though! :(

Temps will drop in showers and naturally as the sun goes, temps will drop anyway. With dewpoints falling, it means pretty mostly snow falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

rmarie1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when an Post are going to get their act together and start delivering post again?

This I'd like to know too. The footpaths here are likely to remain icy for some time. I'm waiting on a package from the UK for over a week now...it really should have come at the end of last week, but at this rate it could be next week before I get it!

edit - dark in D15 now. snow dancing in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The only time I've seen a proper blizzard was on the morning of 27th February 2001. A few days afterwards, I was still finding 4 foot drifts in the fields near where I lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Light snow/sleet falling in Dun Laoghaire now

• Advertisement

Sonovagun wrote: »
    My gut feeling is that this is gonna be a non-event! We did well this morning, can't see us getting anymore :(
    In all fairness,there are technical reasons why there should be more snow in the East tonight.
    No doubt I've jinxed it by saying it.
    Temps at 5000ft asl are going to be sub -10c traveling over a warm 12c irish sea and thats a recipe for huge lake effect snow showers to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

snowing in Castleknock, Dublin 15 again.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Major thaw in the Castleknock area. Skies are dark and completely overcast. Very light sleet falling now.

The dew point better fall a few degrees :(

Edit: Spoke too soon, there's snow dancing around the air. Not sleet either! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Netanya

Got a good bit of snow and then graupel now coming back to snow again in Kilcock over the last half hour to hour.

I don't care what it comes down like once it's not rain and it sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Anything heading Galway City direction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Cooley/Mourne Mts shadow effect blocking off precipitation to Dundalk area with wind being currently NE.:(. Can see showers heading inland to the south of here. Is the the wind going to stay NE? If it backs easterly it could improve things.

EDIT: M2 buoy dewpoint gone from -0.6 at 1400 to -1.8 at 1500. A nice drop!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

a light but ongoing snow shower in blanch for the last 15-20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Gonna say "blizzard like" in D18 now.

Horizontal snow, was perfectly clear 3 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭madmac187

Hey all, in Laois it's trying to snow but it wont :( , alot of the snow has thawed unfortunately. Anyone think we will get anymore in my direction, Im in Rathdowney, in Laois????

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Temps will drop in showers and naturally as the sun goes, temps will drop anyway. With dewpoints falling, it means pretty mostly snow falling.

I was hoping for that last night too but then again we didnt have the help off the siberian winds! Need to drop the guts of 5C though - that's a fair amount!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Conformation on wind direction change over Dublin City Center ...! Now coming from the North

Major thaw in the Castleknock area. Skies are dark and completely overcast. Very light sleet falling now.

The dew point better fall a few degrees :(

Edit: Spoke too soon, there's snow dancing around the air. Not sleet either! :D

yeah not heavy unfortunately in D.15:mad:

Although it is now!!!:D:D:D:D in D.15

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

snow coming down pretty heavy in Dublin 11 and it's sticking :) infact temperatures fell prettty quickly !

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Heavy snow maynooth

• Advertisement

Just back from my kitchen, made leek and potatoe soup :)

Getting very gusty here in Lucan, snowing again, blowing wildy:) Lovely.
    Got text from daughters school saying re-opens rtomorrow?/ I cant see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Convection has definitely bumped up in the irish sea on Sat24. I feel there could be much bigger snow showers on the way!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

M2 Buoy DP back down again to -1.8:

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

It's pretty cold over the Irish Sea. Hoping now for a lot of wet cloud to make it's way onshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

It has darkened in my part of Finglas... something is falling, looks small and soft. It was more hail-esq a few minutes ago.
    My gut tells me I'll be disappointed in the morning. Again.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

blizzard in blanch d15 hope it lasts fir an hour:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dewpoint at M2 bouy now down to -1.8c, as Black Briar said, ingredients for 'lake effect snow'.

Just started snowing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

disregard that last post from me, it stopped:mad: TEASING ME

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

just bac in from walkin the dog... heavy graupel showers , hope we get proper snow l8r whrn the temp drops further !
    .... CANT FEEL MY HANDS! ha

oh ye... currently 2.0 o C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Well, that's the most 'stuff' we've had in a while here in d15. Clearer skies to the north, I cansee the sheets of hail/snow waft across the blue patches. Quite cool.

It's been heavy enough to almost start sticking again on thawed roofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Defcol wrote: »
    Convection has definitely bumped up in the irish sea on Sat24. I feel there could be much bigger snow showers on the way!:D

It has really started to move towards the south east or am i reading it wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement