Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Nice shower of graupel here in east Meath for the last half hour. sticking nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

For all those people Reporting "Blizzards" ... please be sure what ur stating... it could be sleet/ grauple / snow.

But if its PROPER snow then its fair to state a blizzard if the following resembles what u are witnessing.

A blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by low temperatures, strong winds, and can include heavy snow. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 35 miles per hour (56 km/h).[1] Additionally, blizzards must reduce visibility to 400 metres (1,300 ft) or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[2] Ground blizzards are a variation on the traditional blizzard, in that ground blizzards require high winds to stir up snow that has already fallen, rather than fresh snowfall. Regardless of the variety of blizzard, they can bring near-whiteout conditions, which restrict visibility to near zero. Blizzards have a negative impact on local economies and can paralyze regions for days at a time, particularly where snowfall is unusual or rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

PauloMN wrote: »
    Kicked off in Trim again. Most showers will be inland according to the Met.ie website.

Inland counties deserve it more cork and dublin stink big time & shudnt get snow

Inland counties deserve it more cork and dublin stink big time & shudnt get snow

There there, get back in your pram :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowing 0.7c DP -0.4c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

So! Who got snow today?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Jake1 wrote: »
    Funny that, I just looked out and my house is in a cloud free lane between clouds.
    :)
    Theres talk now of wind change, so fingers crossed :)

That'd be the IOM shadow I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Went from very wet tarmac to white and cars crawling along in the past 10 min.
    Monkstown Co Dublin. Right on the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Heavy grauple in ballinteer, will this change to real snow as the temps drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

inland stinks and should not get snow LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Ha, Ha the met said it, you'll probably get clear skys then & the coast will lap it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

No snow in Leixlip for the past while but just back from a long walk with the dog and the slush that thawed is freezing again-Lethal! even in proper hiking boots i was nearly on my arse a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Snowing heavily here just outside Mgar,

Am done drivin till this is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

It's been a mix of snow & graupel/hail for the last hour or so here in Dundrum.

I can hear that the dripping has stopped so things may have stopped melting by now.

All the rooftops of the houses have turned white again, where they were in a serious melted state before. The path has also turned white again where it was cleared.

It's back on!!!! :D

On a negative note I'm not looking forward to heading into the Concert Hall this evening to see Cecilia Bartoli sing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Not quite cold enough here..everything is damp..Heavy snow shower just now which dropped the temperature to 1.8C but it's still nowhere near sticking

*eadaoin wrote: »

On a negative note I'm not looking forward to heading into the Concert Hall this evening to see Cecilia Bartoli sing!!!

I dont think anyone would no matter what the weather :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

in west wicklow and has not stopped snowing all day very strong wind and very heavy snow think blizzard cause i cant see houses across road measured snow in front garden about an hour ago 18 inches not in drift

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Pure blizzard conditions just started in westmeath. So much snow it looks like fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

Don't blame you. She's bloody awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Apparently the M50 northbound is blocked at Dundrum because trucks can't get up the hill due to lack of traction.
    Urgh, that'll make it hell for commuters this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Blizzard conditions in tinahely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

hmmmm.. against all the odds according to raintoday i could be seeing a flurry of snow... if it happens it will be a very unexpected bonus :D

OK. I think the wind has changed a bit (by this map) http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

It was NE in most of the Irish sea (IOM) but now its ENE, I think thats good news for the southside right ? (someone help me out here please)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

daisling, if you are a snow lover, you are quite simply living the dream !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Snowing now in South Meath a good bit now and sticking.

Edit : residual accumulation which had gone to slush during the day is almost frozen solid again

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

bogger :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

It's been a mix of snow & graupel/hail for the last hour or so here in Dundrum.

I can hear that the dripping has stopped so things may have stopped melting by now.

All the rooftops of the houses have turned white again, where they were in a serious melted state before. The path has also turned white again where it was cleared.

It's back on!!!! :D

Stay home !! here ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Jake1 wrote: »
    Funny that, I just looked out and my house is in a cloud free lane between clouds.
    :)
    Theres talk now of wind change, so fingers crossed :)

Jake that post made my day. I know how much your dying for snow, you lasted as long as you could last night.......now you look out your window and its snow to the left and snow to the right, but over Jake's place he gets the pleasure of the Isle of Man shadow thingy........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

living here you get used to it anytime there is a mention of snow we get it. right a foothills. it looks amazing down at blessington lake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Saruman wrote: »
    Pure blizzard conditions just started in westmeath. So much snow it looks like fog.

Never seen anything like that, mad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement