Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I hope the weather picks up and melts all this snow away.. what are u's all like wanting the country to be covered deep in snow.. You do realise that this country can't cope with this type of weather..

go and leave your comments elsewhere :p:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I hope the weather picks up and melts all this snow away.. what are u's all like wanting the country to be covered deep in snow.. You do realise that this country can't cope with this type of weather..

That kind of talk will get you nothing but trouble, this is a happy thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Very heavy snow in blackrock just off n11. N11 like a carpark and very sloppy all cars skidding and buses broken down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

pp_me wrote: »
    COMING DOWN IN WATERFORD. WINDS PICKING UP. COMEE ON.

ok, thats good. i'm guessing this will be coming our way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ah snowing again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Hi, what has this got to do with the Isle of Man?? Why would that prevent any showers hitting Dublin when we have an East wind??? Never did before. Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Snowing in Navan...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Enjoy the snow over the next couple of days and hopefully we get a reload of cold next week. :D

Do you know something we don't?!:D I thought there was meant to be a thaw from next week?! How are the models looking at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Good bit of Snow falling and Wind is picking up here in Carigeen,Co Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

What is the story with west Dublin? Are we definitely not getting more snow? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 martin king

will it snow in dublin 13 (please say ye ):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

...which is why it's more intersting than the usual rain, wind, rain....and so on.

If it were to happen all the time, it'd be less exciting, but it's rare and different and different is nice every once in a while. Especially with all the crap going on at the moment, it's a nice distraction.

Why not start a thread on why this weather is bad, because you won't get many agreeing with you here

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

come on snow! fall on cork! we love you!

delw wrote: »
    missed it,what he say?

Said snow will be heavier tonight in the east because the air is colder now and the snow showers should extend into the east midlands during the night. Mentioned that could be sleet on the coasts "but mostly snow".

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

So Gerry Murphy says more snow than sleet for the East coast tomorrow , don't know whether to be hopeful or just give up now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Hi, what has this got to do with the Isle of Man?? Why would that prevent any showers hitting Dublin when we have an East wind??? Never did before. Please explain.

An east wind would be OK. It's when it's more north-easterly.

The reason is because the IOM reduces the extent of the water mass in a particular direction, and this interrupts convection. There's less of a distance of water between us and land in the direction of the wind because of the presence of the IoM - this difference is apparently enough to stop convection :\

• Registered Users Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Snowing pretty heavily at the moment in Ferrybank, Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭south

coming down in waterford city now.. nice and heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Gonzo wrote: »
    The Isle Of Man shadow is the most annoying thing ever. Dunshaughlin and most of Co Meath was under it's Shadow for the entire cold spell last year which resulted in us only seeing not much more than a dusting while 10 miles down the road in D15 saw nearly a foot of snow. It was so annoying. Looks like at the moment the shadow is over D15 and parts of South Meath. Dunshaughlin is at the moment on the very edge of the shadow so we are only seeing light showers at the moment. If the wind switchs slightly to the north we will get a dumping, if it switchs in any way further to the east we will be under the full extent of the shadow once again.

what happens if the wind turns NE or ENE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

If snow blows sideways is it a blizzard? Cause thats whats happening here just outside Waterford :pac: Bring it on!!

I'm on "lampwatch" again now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

About 5inchs here in the last hr
    tara.

Fairly heavy now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

So Gerry Murphy says more snow than sleet for the East coast tomorrow , don't know whether to be hopeful or just give up now..

Could be anywhere along the east coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 martin king

were u

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ffarrell7 wrote: »

137418.jpg

I think the wind is coming from a NE direction over the Isle of Man at the moment , there should be no problem when we have the deep cold set in an north easterly flow

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

No Snow in Tipp Town, just freezing......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fairly heavy now. :D

Is this likely to move westwards??!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Very heavy snow in blackrock just off n11. N11 like a carpark and very sloppy all cars skidding and buses broken down

Oh no, my son and his wife are driving back to Greystones with their day old baby. They left at 5. can't get a reply, hope they are ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

137418.jpg

I think the wind is coming from a NE direction over the Isle of Man at the moment , there should be no problem when we have the deep cold set in an easterly flow

Going by that picture, Dublin could be missed entirely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

KevIRL wrote: »
    Snowing pretty heavily at the moment in Ferrybank, Waterford

this maybe the one that will pass over us. i hope

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement