Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Chat/ Discussion - Colder air returning Today/More Snow - 30/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Heavy graupel just started in D 14. Still some cloud coming in from the pigeon house

Holy crap, I'm watching that pass just to right of me from Terenure and theres vertical shafts coming out of it like something of a sci fi movie, spectacular !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

haha wouldnt be putting that statement on here:P

very mature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Temperature dropping quickly here in Dun Laoighre its now 0.8 was 3.5 about an hour ago.Clouds orangey colour and I think it might snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Absolutely nothing (But a thaw) in Castleknock, Dublin 15. Dreading walking to school in the morning through all the ice and slush.

It was a thaw earlier on in finglas but has froze over now and its really slippery outside, tryed cycling to school today, on the way to school wasnt too bad but on the way home when the thaw had really kicked in i just couldnt do it any more it was way too dangerous (even on the main road)! So if its icey tomorrow, im dreading it, and if its slushy, im dreading it :( Then again who doesnt dread walking to school :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Yer all so selfish with yer snow, why not give cork some!

Goodnight :p

Radar16.png
    pinch of salt needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

zuroph wrote: »
    So if I do get out of work tomorrow, where would be good to drive to for some snowboarding? Would be pretty cool to get on my board for my birthday!

happy birthday m8 (it i past midnight ;))
    where roughly are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Treehere

Rougies wrote: »
    Game on for Dublin City, south county and increasingly looking like north Dublin are in for a shout judging by the latest radar and sat images. The shadow can feck right off.

Holding you to that Rougies lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

GET READY DUBLIN CITY

sorry for shouting, we have some stuff coming in where "the shadow" is/was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Game on for Dublin City, south county and increasingly looking like north Dublin are in for a shout judging by the latest radar and sat images. The shadow can feck right off.

Please tell me thats the case ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Carlow bin person not lying, it's been coming down steady in Castledermot since I drove home from work about 6pm.
    Drove through the worst blizzard I can remember on the Moone/Timolin bypass.
    It was 20km the whole way, scary scary scary.

What's the feeling on the concentrated front just moving off Anglesy ?.
    Will it track straight west or track soouth slightly ?.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

John2009 wrote: »
    Goodnight :p

Radar16.png
    pinch of salt needed

I'll say a prayer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

happy birthday m8 (it i past midnight ;))
    where roughly are you?

Limerick. Is that dark red stream gonna make it here I wonder!? seems to be creeping closer..

EDIT: and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Louth :p
    Ah, the one time I forget to mention. The report's from Dublin 2, the poster's from south Louth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

woke with the sound of a car wheel spinning like crazy outside (he finally managed to get going after 10 mins) and looked out!! its unreal snow here and still coming down!! never ever seen snow as bad !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Treehere wrote: »
    Holding you to that Rougies lol.
    Saganist wrote: »

It's still a game, but it's on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Ah, the one time I forget to mention. The report's from Dublin 2, the poster's from south Louth:)

Frig it! Looks like most of Louth is going to miss out on it anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

The shadow hasnt fecked off from Terenure yet, we're just on the edge of it watching it (whatever it is) dump down barely a mile away

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Started up again in Dublin 16. The wind's blowing so it's sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Saganist wrote: »

Appears to be maybe a shift to east slightly. Havent seen it in any models I expected NE shifting. Could be nothing and if it is it didnt produce much earlier. Though I know cold air hadnt arrived. You will know when any of the echos arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

zuroph wrote: »
    Limerick. Is that dark red stream gonna make it here I wonder!? seems to be creeping closer..

EDIT: and thanks!

ok, if you were in dublin I might have been able to advise a few spots

it'll still be a birthday you'll never forget, might never snow again so early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

kwalshe wrote: »
    I just measured it and it's 7 inches,

Its rude to talk about people behind their backs:p sorry couldnt resist im a little snow drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not wrote: »
    The shadow hasnt fecked off from Terenure yet, we're just on the edge of it watching it (whatever it is) dump down barely a mile away

Literally, I'm in up Stocking Lane and it's chucking it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Looked promising in Rathfarnham there for a few minutes. Really heavy graupal stuff but now its all gone. Feckin wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Apparently its raining in Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

gucciali wrote: »
    RESULT!!!! big fat fluffy snowflakes in Tallaght !!!!

No there isn't! Not in Old Bawn anyway, where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Off to bed , can't stand it anymore , hopefully all that snow from Wales will have hit the Northside by tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Not wrote: »

As I said, it's game on, doesn;t mean you're gonna win. But your chances are high enough to even bother playing it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Ok, my earlier message timed out due to server load, so it didn't get posted at 22:50 when I tried to send it as I went out.

All the following needs to be read with the following points in mind. My vehicle is an Isuzu crew cab 4x4 nearly 2 tonne and has wide profile tyres on it, and I've had a reasonable level of experience driving in snow up to 25CM depth in a number of countries, and all this evening's driving has been in 4 wheel drive mode.

The move of the Northern streamer from the Isle of Man has meant that since 22:00 there has been at least 5 cm of fresh snow in the Ashbourne and Ratoath area. The main roads are OK at the moment, I've just done a round trip from Ashbourne to Ratoath then to Duleek and back to Ashbourne, and I was back here in Ashbourne just after midnight, and had to wait in Ratoath till 23:15 before we could leave,

From Ashbourne to Ratoath was no fun, there's a lot of frozen packed snow under the fresh stuff on the Ballybin road, so it was pretty bouncy, and at the time, the snowfall was such that visibility was less than 25 mtrs. That severity of snowfall didn't last long. From Ratoath out to the N2 via Curragha is not good, but passable with care. Again, there's ice under fresh snow.

The N2 from Ashbourne to Kentstown Cross is fine, I don't know where AA roadwatch got "almost impassable at Kilmoon cross" from, the road was almost clear and tarmac visible at 23:30.

On the way back now, it was safe and comfortable to "cruise" at about 60 Kph on the N2 without any worries of the vehicle twitching. The northern streamer is still producing snow in the Kilmoon cross area but the rate of fall at the moment is not significant.

Ashbourne and Ratoath, and the Skryne road are going to be problematic in the morning, especially if there's any more snow, which looks possible from the radar traces that are still showing, There is another shower falling as I'm typing this, I can hear the grains coming down the chimney and hitting the top of the gas fire frame.

So, unless there is a massive additional fall of snow before morning, the main roads should be passable with care, the R roads are also passable at slower speeds, the minor roads are bad news, and the estate roads in Ashbourne and Ratoath are brutal due to the underlying frozen slush that at present is not visible.

Air temperature here at the moment is now -0.6, it's been dropping all evening, and the wind speed has also dropped off significantly, it's below 10 Kts now.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

*bangs head against desk*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ok, if you were in dublin I might have been able to advise a few spots

it'll still be a birthday you'll never forget, might never snow again so early

we've had about 5 minutes of flakes since the start of the event, damn snubble. Fingers crossed it gets in here tonight, would love it! I snowboarded in UL last year, want to get up the mountains a bit this year if possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement