Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games to increase Confidence

• 30-11-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any ideas or games that would help improve a dogs confidence?? My little one is having a few issues and from what I can see they all go back to her confidence.

I hide treats around the house and garden and let her sniff them out,she loves it! So im looking for ideas like that (small and cheap basically cause im broke!!!)

She's gets very over excited and nervous with other dogs,which usually ends with her screaming her head off cause they have chased her :p (every now and a again she meets a dog of similar energy and she's fine) So I was thinking if I could increase her confidence in the home that maybe she would be better in this situation too.

Any ideas??:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Daycare will give her confidence - it did for our guy lol - he's very friendly towards other dogs now instead of being afriad like he was before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Very interesting question, I would imagine most games would give the dog confidence. Maybe some wrestling games?

It might be a good idea to meet up with the same dog regularly if you can. And maybe ask the owner to allow her take it slowly. Maybe a walk on lead for a while before letting your girl off so she can approach the other dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

So weird I was gonna start the same thread last night but was too lazy to log in on my phone.

Our dog Ozzie seems to have very low confidence, we got him from the pound in February and overall he is amazing. Has settled in very well with us and our other dog.

He has issues with other male dogs, goes balistic when we are in my mams house with our older family dog. My mam has another dog, a male also but he has no heed on him. I think this is because he knows Cody (older dog) is the man of the house. The younger dog (Cooper) isnt a very masculine dog so am guessing thats why he doesnt see him as a threat?

He very rarely makes eye contact, just sits with his head down. Its not that he is unhappy (I dont think) but he looks sad!

Any suggestions..sorry OP just didnt think there was much point starting another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Any suggestions..sorry OP just didnt think there was much point starting another thread.

Ha no problem! Yeah its similar to my little one,I dont think she is unhappy but just not very confident or secure in herself. She suffers from really bad separation anxiety too.

I would love to do the doggie day care but my cash is to the point that i couldn't afford it very often,it would take her a while to settle I think. If she only went once in a while it could be distressing for her.

Someone was saying to me to play tug of war types games and let her win? It makes sense,the reasons why you wouldnt do it with a dominant dog are the reasons i want her to not be so submissive!! So im gonna try that tonight.

The only local dogs are much bigger than her (she is feaked out by bigger dogs,which is most dogs!!) Although in saying that small dogs can scare her too!! :p She really is afraid of her own shadow! :D

Advertisement