Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of Minister

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I don't have any money - his government saw to that too.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

He is already chosen, if murphy retires before FF go then he has the job, murphy is not long off retiring. Watch this space:eek:
    Never thought I'd call for murphy to hang in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Just on 1 o clock news arthritis, thats from all the handshakes (back handers) and doing fu-k all in Government, another rat leaving the sinking ship
    could'nt see the ****er being any good at pistol shooting with a shaky hand,,,maybe his shakey hand made some mistakes when writing the legislation,,,did he mean that centrefire pistols were unrestricted??? slip of the pen maybe.
    anyway glad to see the back of the ould bast**d cost me the price of my pistol and my enjoyment.

y
    are gone then t
    He is already chosen, if murphy retires before FF go then he has the job, murphy is not long off retiring. Watch this space:eek:

:eek:

Don't doubt there will be a few 'shock' retirements and replacements before the end - to make sure all d'lads get ministerial pensions seeing as it will be a generation before they have another chance.

B'Man

There's already quite a list. Rory O'Hanlon went only yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

why do we have a minister?

Even Ministers have their uses dear Humphrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Sparks wrote: »
    And once that new Minister is in, it'd do our whole community a lot of good if everyone just held their breath for a few minutes so that some quiet talking gets a chance to fix the stuff that's landed on us in recent years.

I think thats a fair point. I have had a number of contacts in the last year with FG and the new Minister for Finance hopefully. I also raised a number of issues with FG HQ about John Deasy ranting and raving about legally held pistols, come to think of it he has been quiet! It is incumbent on us as target shooter/hunters to make our case to our local TD that we are wholly unhappy the way we were and are been treated.

Aye, it's not like we have to shut up forever, but letting our local TDs know that this is a factor even now (which helps with the Dail group in the list above) and then giving people a finite timespan to try to get things quietly rolling back towards fixed before threatening to sue the new Minister would be a Very Good Idea. In my honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I think the latest count is 15 of our glorious and esteemed TD's jumping ship and not "contesting" the next "forthcoming" election - although, it's not going to be much of a "contest" TBH.

Rats and Sinking Ships and all that....

But I wouldn't be gloating too much: the King is Dead, Long Live the King.....etc....but christ knows who the new king will be and what insanity and inanity they have planned for not just the shooters of Ireland but the entire citizenry of Ireland.

Although, it's nice to know DA won't ever (we can but hope he does a parnell and ignores political advice to retire and return) be Taoiseach! Thank god for some very small blessings!

The charitable side of me wishes him the best recovery from his illness - the less-charitable side of me wonders if the cilice has finally gotten the better of him!:rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

It wouldn't be done publicly and we'd never get an apology or a public statement of policy being changed. (Well. Never say never, especially if the incoming Minister wants to get a kick in at the outgoing Minister, but we'd never get it just because we asked for it if you follow me).

However, if we could accept that and looked instead at the next thirty years instead of the last thirty years, then things could be done quietly so that noone lost face, under the auspices of rationalising legislation to bring us more into line with our european partners. To say nothing of how much could be done for the sports just with modifications to SIs, which require no publicity.

It comes down to whether the result is the important thing or whether the shouting is the important thing, and that's a decision that the shooting community has to make - even if that means dragging the shouty people aside for a quiet word in their ear.

I suupose all they would have to do is enforce the EU leglislation whereby if you hunt Deer you are requireg to carry a handgun for humane dispatcy .... this would be one area, and any politician could blame Brussels... IF you use same pistol for target shooting ...bonus

Aye, it's not like we have to shut up forever, but letting our local TDs know that this is a factor even now (which helps with the Dail group in the list above) and then giving people a finite timespan to try to get things quietly rolling back towards fixed before threatening to sue the new Minister would be a Very Good Idea. In my honest opinion.

<mod edit>Where did you hear that one from</mod edit> ?

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    <mod edit>Where did you hear that one from</mod edit> ?
    From the chaps who run your sports discipline, amongst others B'man. Basicly, someone thought it'd put the wind up the Minister, or sold it as such to those who'd have to pay the barrister's fees. The Minister thought it was as funny as clingfilm across a toilet seat and the question was asked whether there was any point at all in talking to people who'd announce this plan on a monday and then ask you for something for nothing on a tuesday.

Personally, I think it pointed out two problems; firstly, that the Minister regarded our requests not to be stepped on as looking for something for nothing (though that is pretty close to the negotiation stance we've been in for the last forty years since we can't veto the Oireachtas); and secondly, that some people in our community have a rather dire lack of a grip on the realities of the situation we're in and think it's us-v-them in a way that would be seen as overly simplistic in a summer action movie from Hollywood. What we need right now are people who understand that there are a dozen different groups, with varying levels of alliance and association and difference of agendas, and that we're never going to get a final perfect solution that gives us everything we want without any cost at all. Happily, we have about seven or eight people like this, and they're sitting at the FCP doing their best to hold onto whatever we have left until we get a Minister into office who's not hostile towards us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

To misquote the poem" Base details."
    And when the election is over and Ireland is broke and stone dead.I'll toddle safley home with my pensions, state car and Garda driver,and die in bed!

And that my friends is what Dermo and all the rest of them are hoping to gain in the last days of the Fianna Fail Reich.It's actualy amazing to watch how Cowen and all the rest of them are exhibiting the same bunker mentality of unrealisim that Hitler and Co displayed when the Ivans were knocking on the door of the Chancellory.
    So another rat jumps off the sinking Fianna Fail ship.No harm or great loss.
    For what that little Bol**ix!! has cost me in money and time and our sport,not to mind his other disasterous pieces of law mongering signed under his hand.
    I cannot wish him any well or good wishes ,ill health or not.He deserves none!I have no sympathy or mercy for this man,he has earned none.

As a matter of fact I firmly belive that if the media reports are true that he is taking steroids..It would explain the total irrationality and moodiness of the man in many circumstances.It also shows how gutless Cowen is,to not be able to remove two sick men from cruical office due to ill health to replace them with fitter people to deal with the enormous job of running finance and justice.No wonder we are banjaxed!:mad:

Only bad thing about this..Is who do I replace the picture of Dermo with on my office dartboard now??:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    who do I replace the picture of Dermo with on my office dartboard now??:p
    No worries Grizzly, this is Ireland. We'll have six new names within a week...

From the chaps who run your sports discipline, amongst others B'man.

In my club I take part in approx 10 shooting disciplines.
    I'm on the NASRPC committee - which is NGB for over a dozen shooting disciplines.
    I'm a member of ITS which is NGB for one shooting discipline.
    and I've taken part in almost every other shooting discipline there is available in Ireland - ISSF included.

I have never heard of anyone seeking to sue Dermot Ahern and obviously nobody can be suing his replacement as we do not know who that will be.

So which discipline are you referring to and which 'chaps' that are in charge of it said they were planning to?

B'Man

which 'chaps' that are in charge of it said they were planning to?
    You've misread me; I said I was told of this by those chaps, not that those chaps were planning to bring the suit.

Happily, we have about seven or eight people like this, and they're sitting at the FCP doing their best to hold onto whatever we have left until we get a Minister into office who's not hostile towards us.

And I quote my earlier post which shows how good a job they have been doing.

Sparks,

Future licensing of CF Pistols prohibited

Many people forced to descrate perfectly safe RF pistols to confirm to lunatic 5-shot policy

Blanket rifle restrictions based on barrel diameters rather than muzzle velocity

Blatantly incorrect definitions in Primary legislation such as 'bullpup' 'practical shooting', etc.

Possible ban on IPSC

haphazard application or ignoring of legislation by Senior Gardai and application of blanket policies in contravention of legislation

Hundreds forced to resort to courts - many as far as High Court - to renew licenses at huge personal and financial cost - simply to continue taking part in their chosen sport

Ranges forced at make massive alterations at huge cost

Shooting Clubs - unique among sports clubs - forced to pay state to exist

Shooting Ranges - unique among sporting venues - forced to pay state to exist

to name but a few things introduced since this 'relationship' came into effect

god help us if the relationship was not so rosy ;-)

B'Man

And I quote my earlier post which shows how good a job they have been doing.
    Do I need to quote my earlier reply which pointed out you're blaming the wrong people for those things and who actually was responsible for them? Or can you just scroll up and read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

divided and concurred :(

its not a misspelling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

mad:
    Any hope of anybody addressing my bugbear - airgun ownership ?
    I think it ranks down there with racing pigeons, something to be ignored because its a poor mans sport ( excluding top flight competition shooting.)
    In the UK a thriving sport exists -- clubs, FT and HFT competitions and dedicated airgun shops. ( read jobs ) Responsible adults can collect airguns without state hassle because unlike here, the state trusts its own citizens.
    We are the only EU country to regard airguns as firearms needing licencing which has killed the hobby stone dead.
    Given that gun law seems to be a consensus between the minister, his mandrins and Garda top brass I don't hold out much hope with any change in the DOJ but maybe its time to stand up for ourselves ?!

recipio wrote: »
    maybe its time to stand up for ourselves ?!
    Mentioned before:
    The idea of raising the muzzle energy threshold for airguns from the current 1 joule to the 12 ft-lb level of the UK or the 7-joule level of the German system was brought up, and again wasn't shot down - there's no perceived problem with things like paintball (and I made the point that paintball markers have twice the muzzle energy of an air rifle so if they're okay, we should be too, and I pointed out the problems of bringing in air rifles for competitions). However, while this is a possible thing that may happen (in, say, the Misc.Provisions Bill) it needs to be discussed at FCP level first. Des Crofton made the point that while this is definitely something we should be looking to do, practical limits on people may lead to the FCP having short-term, medium-term and long-term goals, and this may not make it to the short-term list.

It'd still be a small change (basicly, change "one joule" to "eight joules" in Section 1's definition of a firearm), so maybe in the future it'll be possible, if nobody on our side of the table publicly nixes it in front of the other players again.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

And that my friends is what Dermo and all the rest of them are hoping to gain in the last days of the Fianna Fail Reich.It's actualy amazing to watch how Cowen and all the rest of them are exhibiting the same bunker mentality of unrealisim that Hitler and Co displayed when the Ivans were knocking on the door of the Chancellory.

Godwins Law FTW!

I spotted it first, what's my prize?

A booby prize.Godwin only applies if it used as a derogorty comparision.
    The reality speaks for itself.Both leaders still belived that they are/were in control of the situation against overwhelming reality that they have/had lost control a very long time ago.Along with listening to only their Yes men,and refusing to accept the reality was 100% grimmer than they were being told.
    But you are right it proably is a bad comparision..We are proably more like Cauchesau's Romania.Backward,an economic nuked ground zero,under one party rule ,primitive health system,and huge monumental unfinished constructions.
    We can only hope that Biffo meets the same sticky end.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Mentioned before:

It'd still be a small change (basicly, change "one joule" to "eight joules" in Section 1's definition of a firearm), so maybe in the future it'll be possible, if nobody on our side of the table publicly nixes it in front of the other players again.

Thanks Sparks,
    good to know the subject is not completely dormant.
    Its generally accepted, from what I can read in the UK forums ,that 12 ft/lbs or 16 joules is about the minimium for using an airgun for small game hunting including rabbits.It gives a reasonable trajectory for backyard plinking also.
    Anything less than this is a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I read in todays irish times the retirement "package" that he will be drawing down , it really is an insult to injury ,
    €320,000 in his first year most of which is tax free and in the years after this a pension of €128,000 , a termination payment from the oireachtas of over €17,000 and a lump sum of one and a half times his salary €159,000 , the cost to the irish tax payer will be around €4 million in total ,
    what the hell did he ever do to earn 4 million euro ? an unbelievably unneccessary blasphemy law , deprived the irish shooting public of their firearms for no apparent reason other then that it was a personal bugbear of his, and was part of the most incompetent and obviously corrupt government outside of south america .
    things better change next time around.

Think it is called the "fuk ye..I'm all right and making off with the loot,thanks Suckahs!" retirement plan!:mad:
    Only way things will change next time round Rowa ,is simply WE ,the people,must make sure it does change.One way being,that these outrageous retirement packages,and salaries are removed.Maybe the IMF boys might have a looksee at that one???Nobody in this country from the prez on down is worth in Govt over 100K PA.Maybe ,if we start bringing the salary figures into the real world,maybe genuine people who want to actually serve their country will take up these positions,and not consider it a money and privilige swill trough to bury their snouts in until the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rowa wrote: »
    .......things better change next time around.

The only thing likely to change will be the political party of the beneficiary :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD2Vr7lb-D4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The only thing likely to change will be the political party of the beneficiary :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD2Vr7lb-D4

very good bunny , but a bit unrealistic - mary harney could never get her hand back far enough to scratch her own arse like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement