Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow report!

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    You should leave the taps running lightly to stop the pipes from freezing over!

This doesnt work when its this cold. It works when its 0 or -1 but not when its -7 or -8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

omerin wrote: »
    Sorry have to disagree with you. The last 2 cold spells I have been without water for days and am currently without. I wish I had let them run and will do when they come back. Hate the inconvenience

I have to disagree with you - I am without water now and the last cold spell a couple of weeks ago. It is an incredibly selfsish thing to do for people to run taps in cold weather. It does lead to water restictions down the line, so what was a problem for the few becomes a problem for the many. Lets see how many people will run taps in cold weather when it is metered in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭omerin

Something above a trickle, not a raging torrent coming out of the tap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hogzy wrote: »
    This doesnt work when its this cold. It works when its 0 or -1 but not when its -7 or -8

I decided not to leave the tap running - no water since Tuesday morning.
    Next door neighbour left his trickling - water a plenty.
    Moral of the story - I think you are wrong.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I decided not to leave the tap running - no water since Tuesday morning.
    Next door neighbour left his trickling - water a plenty.
    Moral of the story - I think you are wrong.

My neighbour has no water either. Their house is 10 feet away from mine. Moral of the story is they might have better insulation on their pipes or their car might be parked over their pipes so the ground will be slightly warmer.

If I am wrong then physics must be wrong too. And trust me its not!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

Check your pipes folks, there is a bit of a thaw. Our very kind neighbour came round to tell us our overflow was going crazy. My husband went into the loft to find the tank almost overflowing because the ball cock was frozen. We caught it just in time, unfortunately one of our neighbours pipes burst. So check your loft everyone!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Where u located?

+3.5C on thew way home through Douglas. Had a good inch of snow left on the roof at around 5pm and it had all melted off the car by 1AM.
    Roads are still bad in places so watch out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gabbro

Hogzy wrote: »
    My neighbour has no water either. Their house is 10 feet away from mine. Moral of the story is they might have better insulation on their pipes or their car might be parked over their pipes so the ground will be slightly warmer.

If I am wrong then physics must be wrong too. And trust me its not!!!
    You are wrong. Physics is not wrong. Leaving the taps running slightly is another factor in reducing the likelihood of your water freezing. It's not a guaranteed solution, but in some cases if everything else is OK, e.g., pipes insulated, then keeping the taps running slightly could make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

14 houses on our road. 10 without water. What do the other 4 have in common? Running taps.

I hate the idea of it but I wish I had done it and I will in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Where u located?

Grange. We have our water back but the overflow is still going crazy!

Advertisement