Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow report!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

and as soon as i say that is starts again :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

oeb wrote: »
    Looking forward to going home later, have to drive up donnybrook hill.

How bad is the grange road? Back in January I was parking in the off licence at the bottom of it instead of trying to make my way into shamrock park (The estate next to it).

I've got to get up Donnybrook hill later too - My first year living there so don't know what to expect. Do they grit it?

Also what's it like on icy mornings? does it get better after 9 lets say, after a few cars have gone up and down it?

murphym7 wrote: »
    I've got to get up Donnybrook hill later too - My first year living there so don't know what to expect. Do they grit it?

Also what's it like on icy mornings? does it get better after 9 lets say, after a few cars have gone up and down it?

my gf lives at the top. couldnt get up. the postman got stuck and noone could get up or down as it was blocked with stranded cars. saw an avensis sliding down the whole way almost uncontrollably! its being gritted now though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

i am so glad we got snow, had a real soppy moment sitting in the bay window with my 16 month old daughter the two of us sitting there just watching the snow fall, it was one of those unplanned special moments :o

Snow in Douglas...
    10020260.th.jpg
    1002028s.th.jpg

10020260.jpg&via=mupload

You work up the road from me! I can see my office in the first picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

well reports are in, taxi's are refusing to drive upto grange, and the schools in douglas have let the kids go home!

oeb wrote: »
    You work up the road from me! I can see my office in the first picture.

lol im at home!!! :D

murphym7 wrote: »

not sure haven't been up there yet in the snow this year, last year, it was bad-ish slippy i used drive it in January at 8am, and the car would slide a bit, the gritters we figured out usually came around at 4pm....

you know to be careful when the buses won't go up there, and right now they are only going as far as the village by tesco they haven't passed our place (main village) in a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

my gf lives at the top. couldnt get up. the postman got stuck and noone could get up or down as it was blocked with stranded cars. saw an avensis sliding down the whole way almost uncontrollably! its being gritted now though

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

max 73 wrote: »
    the council have been gritting for the past hour, they dont seem too bad (just drove to douglas court - no issues) just take care...it just got overcast again so it could snow again, if it does be prepared to take ages to get home

I only moved up here in January last year, so I caught the tail end of it.

Donnybrook hill is normally not too bad, it gets gritted and it's high traffic enough that it's manageable. Grange road can be a death trap, it's ok up to the off licence at the bottom of it, but when it starts getting hilly alot of people have difficulty making it up.

both my neighbours are in college, my gf is stuck on dbrook hill....im alone :( snowfight anyone ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

anyone know what carrs hill is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Yay work is closed tonight!!!

• Advertisement

Yay work is closed tonight!!!

wheres that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

The restaurant I work at near glanmire/ mayfield :p
    Delighted!

hopefully dunne's deliveries will be cancelled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Anyone know what Frankfield hill is like now? And the hill going up towards musgraves (Ballycurreen road)? All cars were stopped earlier, people abandoning left right and centre, had to abandon and walk home!

As I was walking past the truck gritting the roads was coming down.
    Hoping it is better so I can get the car before it's stranded for even longer!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Anybody any idea what the roads out to Cobh are like?
    It was bad coming in today, and I will have to work quite late tonight... I really don't fancy staying in a hotel because of snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Small shower of rain in cobh:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Well my appointment with the dentist in Glanmire has been cancelled, roads too bad they said!!

But its Meeelllllttting now, so sad:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Shenshen wrote: »
    Anybody any idea what the roads out to Cobh are like?
    It was bad coming in today, and I will have to work quite late tonight... I really don't fancy staying in a hotel because of snow :(

Estates in Cobh are bad I hear. Don't know about roads. trying to decide whether to leave the car at work and get the train....

babo9 wrote: »
    Anyone know what Frankfield hill is like now? And the hill going up towards musgraves (Ballycurreen road)? All cars were stopped earlier, people abandoning left right and centre, had to abandon and walk home!

Hoping it is better so I can get the car before it's stranded for even longer!! :eek:

Also ment to say, Guards had closed the hill earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone hear anything about the Summerhill area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

donnybrook hill isn't too bad,

i just had to drive to passage to collect my 2 cousins from school, their dads car got stuck on montpellier road less than 2 minutes away from their house! so i'd say donnybrook is impassible still!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Parts of Glounthane were pretty bad this morning - don't know what it's like now. My mums friend was on her way up to my housefrom there and had to abandon her car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

leahyl wrote: »
    Parts of Glounthane were pretty bad this morning - don't know what it's like now.

down the bottom of the hill where I'm from it was fine. I expect it'll be bad on the hills though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Estates in Cobh are bad I hear. Don't know about roads. trying to decide whether to leave the car at work and get the train....

There won't be any more trains by the time work finishes tonight.
    If there really is rain in Cobh, I'm probably stuck now. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

anyone know what carrs hill is like?

I drove up and down Carrs Hill this morning at approx 11am just after the first snow showers and it was fine but very slow moving. There were icy patches alright but just take your time and stay well back from the car in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

The hill from the roundabout outside Centra in Togher up towards Sarsfield Road/Spur hill was well dodge earlier.Was coming out about 12.30 and loads of people were stuck on it, someone did a 360 spin near me. Had to turn around and go down Clashduv road and through bishopstown to the Bandon Road, which was fine.

Id imagine Leighinamore would be unpassable, certainly earlier on anyway.

On another note, seeing it snowing in UCC was pretty cool :)
    Love the snow just not the problems it causes!

It's gone for today anyway, cloud front isn't over Cork anymore. See http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

babo9 wrote: »

Car home :D both hills grand, gritted since this morning, only wet now!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SeaFields wrote: »
    Have to agree. The novelty of cold weather wore off for me after being stuck in last year for a few days with no water when the taps froze.

It looks gorgeous but it just disrupts everyday life way too much for me.

(i must be getting very old :o)

Not at all; simply facing reality!!

West Cork here; no water for three days now and even the gas has frozen...Slow cooker is on and I have toaster and kettle....

There have been two accidents at the crossroads here already.

Booked at the Cobh Arts and Crafts Fair for Sunday and will be bitterly disappointed if we cannot get there. Dratted snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

The paths are gonna be a death trap tomorrow. Not looking forward to the walk to college. Snow that is melting now is gonna freeze tonight and it was bad enough coming home an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Anyone know whether the Lough is frozen over?

Advertisement