Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow report!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

cornbb wrote: »
    Anyone know whether the Lough is frozen over?

It was frozen Sunday/Monday but it was part thawed this morning when I was heading into college. Guess it might freeze again if it gets cold enough tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think I heard someone on the radio this morning saying that the Lough was frozen over but I was just flicking through the stations so I didn't hear any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Careful going home tonight and especially in the morning.....

From AA Roadwatch

*CORK* Recent snowfall is adding to icy conditions on secondary roads around Cork City Centre, Togher, Douglas, Clonakilty, Cobh and Midleton. * Icy around Watergrasshill, with particular care needed on the M8 Cork/Dublin Rd.

I'd say the roads in estates etc will be very dodge in the morning.

(from Met Eireann)
    Tonight (munster)

A few light snow showers, tonight. Extremely cold with lowest temperatures ranging from -2 to -7 degrees with a widespread severe frost and some freezing fog developing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fataltragedy

Shaggin snow.

Supposed to be flying out on holidays at 8.10am tomorrow morning - don't even know now if I'll be able to get to the airport let alone if the flight will take off!!

Not to mention all the hassle it's causing people between the snow and ice, and getting around etc. Always feel for the older generation in this weather, must make life so hard - and dangerous for them.

Watching kids skid around on ice, I marvel at their lack of fear - and know if I tried it, I'd break every bone in my body :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Yeah the lough is frozen but i think the council may have broken up the edges a small bit or else the edges just melted away but most of it is still frozen. My estate in togher is absolutely lethal. Just looks like someone came out with a hose on the footpaths and road.Not looking forward to the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 gibsoneve

Yeah the lough is frozen but i think the council may have broken up the edges a small bit or else the edges just melted away but most of it is still frozen. My estate in togher is absolutely lethal. Just looks like someone came out with a hose on the footpaths and road.Not looking forward to the morning.

yes the council have broken the ice around the edges.. not cool :(

gibsoneve wrote: »
    yes the council have broken the ice around the edges.. not cool :(

I say fair play to them to be honest...the amount of idiots that had to be pulled out of the lough last year because of ignoring warnings was ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was lightly snowing out in ballincollig this morning,so damn cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gibsoneve

any news of more snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yamlet

Newbie here apologies if its rude to post without an introduction but my daughter has a hospital appointment in the Orthopaedic hospital in the morning and i was looking for updates on the roads around the city.

We will be coming in past Wilton and turning left at the old greyhound track and heading up to the orthopaedic that way through Knocknaheeny.

Does anyone know will that route be possible with all the hills and will it be grittted early in the morning? Were coming from West Cork so dont really want to be abbandoning the car on some hill for the day! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

From the City council's website: link

I've no idea about the particular route you're taking but I'd say most roads in the city would be OK. All the same if you can take a route that uses main roads as much as possible (as opposed to shortcuts) then do that as the main roads will get priority.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Yamlet wrote: »
    Newbie here apologies if its rude to post without an introduction but my daughter has a hospital appointment in the Orthopaedic hospital in the morning and i was looking for updates on the roads around the city.

We will be coming in past Wilton and turning left at the old greyhound track and heading up to the orthopaedic that way through Knocknaheeny.

Does anyone know will that route be possible with all the hills and will it be grittted early in the morning? Were coming from West Cork so dont really want to be abbandoning the car on some hill for the day! :o

thats the route i took to work last year and i never had an issue with that hill. its usually one of the first gritted as it is a main route despite the narrow roads. you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

poor hubby on last flight from london to cork tonight. i say poor because they ve been diverted to shannon. any one any idea what the roads around shannon limerick and onto cork are like ?

poor hubby on last flight from london to cork tonight. i say poor because they ve been diverted to shannon. any one any idea what the roads around shannon limerick and onto cork are like ?

Theres nothing on aa roadwatch about shannon or limerick. Did hear it was snowing a bit in Limerick earlier but not a huge amount. He shouldnt have too many problems coming back...just take extra care. Are they diverting all flights away from cork airport or what?

thats the route i took to work last year and i never had an issue with that hill. its usually one of the first gritted as it is a main route despite the narrow roads. you should be fine!

Cheers for that. Think we'll chance it as we have been waiting months to get the appointment and dont want to be putting it off and waiting again!

FTGFOP wrote: »
    From the City council's website: link

I've no idea about the particular route you're taking but I'd say most roads in the city would be OK. All the same if you can take a route that uses main roads as much as possible (as opposed to shortcuts) then do that as the main roads will get priority.

Good luck!

Thank you for the link. Was thinking along those lines aswell but was just worried about the steep hills. Think were gonna chance it anyway so hopefully it will be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

well, im back from work and back posting here again....my car now has a bad scratch where it didnt have one before :( stupid ice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Busing and walking it to work in the morning, not looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

fairchild wrote: »
    what an idiot offensive nick

How exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corkonianGirl

Does anyone remember talk of supplies of grit being doled out to estates so we can grit the roads in front of our houses ourselves? I can't find anything about it now. Our place was fine until the snow yesterday and until the run-off from people defrosting their cars built up. It's pretty bad out there now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Pixie4

I haven't heard of any grit been made available for estates but totally agree with you that it is badly needed..does anybody know about the state of the roads out of Cobh-had to leave my car at the top of Ticknock yesterday and was hoping to try and get it out of there today. If anybody can suggest the best route out I would grately appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I abandoned my car at the bottom of the estate in Douglas last night because the hill seemed a bit dodge, this morning the roads seemed a bit better there, covered in compacted snow but not slippy. I decided to leave the car where it was though, I did not have the time to both de-ice and make it into work in time. Traffic was too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Got down Donnybrook hill grand this morning - in fact I had a grit spreader in front of me all the way down. Douglas village was perfect as expected and the link out to Wilton was perfect too. This morning was way better that expected for me, apart from being at work I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Pixie4 wrote: »
    I haven't heard of any grit been made available for estates but totally agree with you that it is badly needed..does anybody know about the state of the roads out of Cobh-had to leave my car at the top of Ticknock yesterday and was hoping to try and get it out of there today. If anybody can suggest the best route out I would grately appreciate it.

Roads at the 'other side' are fine - Ballynoe Hill, IFI, Belvelly, Fota Rd. Not sure about Ticknock but I'd say it's treated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I went up for a look at the Lough this morning.
    There's still plenty of ice:
    5223384208_f724c95efa.jpg
    (mostly) frozen Lough by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

but it's thawing. big stretches of open water.
    5223384200_b47aceebb6.jpg
    (mostly) frozen Lough by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Roads at the 'other side' are fine - Ballynoe Hill, IFI, Belvelly, Fota Rd. Not sure about Ticknock but I'd say it's treated too.

Thanks for that! Appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

Does anyone know if we're going to get any more snow, or was that our lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

glasto wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we're going to get any more snow, or was that our lot?

By the looks of the met website, seems unlikely today anyway.
    http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hi Pixie4,

I'm in Harbour View but parked my car in Harbour Row last night, so was able to get out today, via Cobh town and the coastal road to Belvelly - just took my time and it was OK. The top of Harbour View was far too icey and my friend's car skidded by the Cathedral yesterday at about 11.00, he said it was like an ice skating rink. So that's what I'll do this evening too, park on the lower, flat road. Avoid Ticknock at all costs, that hill is horrendous when the weather is bad. Just take the coastal road.

Best of luck I left work about 30 mins early yesterday it helped driving home when it was still a bit brighter - especially with the road works on the main Cork/Midleton road.

Good luck. Drive carefully. J

• Advertisement

Hi Judes,

Thank you so much for your reply but unfortunately I had left the house to collect my car by the time I got it! I rang the guards before I left regarding the state of Ticknock hill and the best advice they could give me was that they had heard of no accidents yet so it must be ok!!! The sun was shining and there appeared to be a slight thaw so I chanced coming down it-in first gear at a crawl....I made it home but I thought the road out of Cobh was VERY dodgy in places...I didn't go above 20kph at any stage. Couldn't believe the behaviour and attitude of some drivers to the state of the road, especially the woman who came up behind me and proceeded to practically drive in my boot up to the roundabout for Cork/Midleton...total and utter stupidity!

Have a safe trip home this evening and thanks once again.

Advertisement