Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow report!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corkonianGirl

Heard on the 6pm news that Kerry County Council are providing grit around the county for people to keep their local roads clear but Cork County Council won't provide grit supplies on the grounds of Health & Safety...that they're arranging a half-day Health & Safety course first but there's no word on when that'll happen.

Is the country gone Health & Safety mad?

Surely it's safer for people to grit their local roads to prevent accidents rather than have crashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Is the country gone Health & Safety mad?

Surely it's safer for people to grit their local roads to prevent accidents rather than have crashes?

I'd say its a case of "Is the county gone H&S mad?" . Yes they have and its stupid. What do they want to do, show a farmer how to use his tractor for spreading? :rolleyes:

Kerry coco seem to have no problem with it. Anyone know is it a case of them having been sued or something before or a similar exercise?

Also fair play to those farmers on the news for pulling motorists out of harms ways with their tractors all over the country.

Sooner this cold snap ends the better. With the way temps are going it wont be long before pipes start freezing again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'd say its a case of "Is the county gone H&S mad?" . Yes they have and its stupid. What do they want to do, show a farmer how to use his tractor for spreading? :rolleyes:

Kerry coco seem to have no problem with it. Anyone know is it a case of them having been sued or something before or a similar exercise?

Also fair play to those farmers on the news for pulling motorists out of harms ways with their tractors all over the country.

Sooner this cold snap ends the better. With the way temps are going it wont be long before pipes start freezing again :mad:

Crazy indeed.

And yes re the farmers; our landlord and his brothers have pulled two cars out of the ditch at the crossroads here already.

We are on the edge of West Cork; water has been frozen for days. Usually it comes back briefly before dark, but not last night. The gas pipe also froze; again we thawed it yesterday and re-wrapped it, then before dark turned it off at the cylinder and burned off what was in the pipe.

We need to get to Cobh early Sunday; they say the roads from the village are clear but will need to do the four miles there at a snail's pace.

Not sure what the roads in Cobh are like? It is the community centre we are heading for; they say to tuen left at the bridge. Would greatly value any input at the weekend, PM if need be. This is a fuind raiser for our woirk with the homeless who are in such dire need in these days.

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Apparently we're due a fall of snow fairly steadily from 5am...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Apparently we're due a fall of snow fairly steadily from 5am...

Really? met.ie says it's gonna be wet, but warm(ish) tomorrow in cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

yip .. rain, i reckon wet slushy stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Damn, I want some proper snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Graces7 wrote: »
    Crazy indeed.

And yes re the farmers; our landlord and his brothers have pulled two cars out of the ditch at the crossroads here already.

We are on the edge of West Cork; water has been frozen for days. Usually it comes back briefly before dark, but not last night. The gas pipe also froze; again we thawed it yesterday and re-wrapped it, then before dark turned it off at the cylinder and burned off what was in the pipe.

We need to get to Cobh early Sunday; they say the roads from the village are clear but will need to do the four miles there at a snail's pace.

Not sure what the roads in Cobh are like? It is the community centre we are heading for; they say to tuen left at the bridge. Would greatly value any input at the weekend, PM if need be. This is a fuind raiser for our woirk with the homeless who are in such dire need in these days.

Thanks..
    Cobh is fine at the moment. I left at around 5 and it was grand. Take it easy though just in case. Hopefully the temperatures will rise in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Accuweather is showing snow at 6am. It showed snow at 5am and rain at 7am earlier so it seems to be updated regularly. We could get more snow yet :)

Redisle wrote: »
    Accuweather is showing snow at 6am. It showed snow at 5am and rain at 7am earlier so it seems to be updated regularly. We could get more snow yet :)

I hope not! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just an update from a friend in Ballinlough, pipes are frozen in Shrewsbury estate, so if you haven't done it already, start filling up pots and pans with water. Gonna be another fun year of washing with baby wipes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

This was posted on the RTE websites' Live Weather and Transport Updates
    2125 Cork County Council has reversed its decision not to supply grit to farmers and community groups who want to treat rural roads which are not being serviced by the Council's fleet of gritting trucks.

Common Sense Prevails !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Just an update from a friend in Ballinlough, pipes are frozen in Shrewsbury estate, so if you haven't done it already, start filling up pots and pans with water. Gonna be another fun year of washing with baby wipes ;)

Out of interest PD, when they say the pipes are frozen in Shewsbury do they mean that the pipe supplying them is frozen or a load of individual houses?

It must be the gold plated pipes studded with diamonds they are using in that particular estate!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gibsoneve

we got no snow :/ just rain that frozee

It froze quickly too. The roads were very dangerous for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

well the frozen rain is still on the roads in my estate in togher and its deadlier than ever its black ice now and literally 0 play with it , i was goin 5 mph and turned the wheel and just continued in a straight line stopped before a wall by about 15 cm id say!!!:( anywhere the sun isnt hitting it is deadly .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,556 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Whats the city centre and Blackpool area like? Can you drive there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Any update with the roads in the city this morning? Looks pretty frosty out there.

Did a run to the city at 8, seems to be much better than any previous days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ya much better than previous days just be careful in any shaded low traffic areas like estates etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very icey outside my house on the footpaths and road,cant walk without slipping and sliding

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

janeybabe wrote: »
    Cobh is fine at the moment. I left at around 5 and it was grand. Take it easy though just in case. Hopefully the temperatures will rise in the next couple of days.

Thanks for this. We left home well before 7 am; lanes here ( north of Enniskeane were iced but slowly did fine. Patchy then all the way and most folk were going slowly.

They had told us to turn left at the bridge past LIDL which was not wise. Our wee car barely made it for the ice. The gritters were just setting out at the top; word came in mid-afternoon that the Fota road was very bad so we went out the town way; ice thick then until the big road

Just no real let up in sight, but we have water at present.

Most are driving very slowly and only a little tail gating

Douglas is quite slippy this morning, particularly in estates and the footpaths. The main roads seem grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Christ yeah the estates today were the worst I've seen since the cold weather kicked in. Had about 5 skids before I even got out on to a main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What's the south link like this evening? Have to drive from Turners Cross out to Ballincollig later. Would I be better going through town and out the straight road (N22)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Bacchus wrote: »
    What's the south link like this evening? Have to drive from Turners Cross out to Ballincollig later. Would I be better going through town and out the straight road (N22)?

Passed it on the way home from college today and the traffic seemed to be moving at a nice pace without and problems.

Just had the hound out for a walk, and it rained. No doubt, that'll be turned to ice in about an hour. Tomorrow should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I got a skid this evening. It's bad!!!!! Temperatures were colder this morning than any other morning this winter.

It started to rain while I was visiting my parents. They live down a steep hill from where I live. My dad tried to get the car out to bring me home but we only got 3 feet before it skidded.

We had to walk up the hill with my suitcase (I'm just back from Dublin), my handbag and my laptop case. I fell halfway up the hill because it was lethal. Such a scary walk. I saw a few cars going out of control on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

:(:(Not more Freezing rain:(:( Dreading trying to make it in to college tomorrow. The roads in Glanmire are lethal at the moment according to the OH who has taken the dogs for walk.

Advertisement