Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow report!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My folks are out Ballincollig direction - extremely dodgy. Avoid that trip if you can I'd say...

I'm up by the barracks - it looks so beautiful. But any cars that are moving are making scaaaaary sounds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I hope this isn't a consequence of global warming, and that we'd have this increasingly.

I wonder how much snow is needed for an avalance? Up around the knockmealdown mountains, etc. I say not nearly enough would be here but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

CorkMan wrote: »
    I hope this isn't a consequence of global warming

Eh...surely it the opposite :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

TheTubes wrote: »
    Ye think id b ok to drive from balincollig to milstreet before lunchtime 2m?

If any where gets snow it's Millstreet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Im out towards Kanturk, about 2 to 3 inches of snow fell earlier and the roads are lethal. I had to walk about a mile and a half home because my van couldn't make it up a hill. I you have to drive to millstreet I wouldnt go via macroom id drive back into the city, north to mallow and head out the killarney road. It will add ages onto your journey but you will prob get there safe.

• Advertisement

My own experience........

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69622558#post69622558

An automatic with a snow button is quite handy on days like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I left from near Limerick Junction earlier about ten to ten, there was no snow there or by Tipp Town but heading out towards Galbally and on to Mitchelstown, it steadily got worse and i took it easy. Iwas only going at 80KM on the M8 but by the time i got to Toll plaza, it got really bad, brutal, one lane all the way on to Dunkettle at 40/50KM, then i tried to get home by attempting Trafalgar Hill, NEVER AGAIN, reversing on ice is something i never thought id have to do, what an ordeal...journey normally takes around an hour, tonight it took two, I wouldnt be driving anywhere till the snow and ice is gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hogzy wrote: »
    Eh...surely it the opposite :pac:

Nope; global warming disrupts existing norms of weather patterns.

2 - 3 inches here north of Enniskeane. We have three markets booked before Christmas but looking very doubtful now..

Pure white and deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Nothing moving around Montpellier road yet - it is early though. Any idea will Donnybrook hill be driveable at any stage today? Need to buy nom nom's and drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ostoplad

does anyone know how condition are out around Newmarket and Boherbue area this morning or even how the mallow to Killarney road is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

murphym7 wrote: »
    Nothing moving around Montpellier road yet - it is early though. Any idea will Donnybrook hill be driveable at any stage today? Need to buy nom nom's and drink.

i dunno but if anyone up there could also let me know?

i need to get to calderwood at 1pm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

i dunno but if anyone up there could also let me know?

i need to get to calderwood at 1pm....

I took a stroll down to the Maxol garage at around 9/10 last night and cars were just about getting up to Calderwood, from there on though was very ropey. I would say you would probably get up to calderwood in the afternoon alright, good bit of traffic usually there.

I'm not sure I can even get to Donnybrook hill - pure dose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

Anyone know what Grange Road is like? I need to get down the hill at some stage to do a bit of shopping. Or I suppose I could phone in an order for my turkey!

Just drove from the Lough to Ringaskiddy, no bother at all, just took my time, from ShannonPark Roundabout on to Ringa isn't gritted at all but it's still fine. Hardly any traffic about, light traffic means no probs me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Anyone know if Maryborough Hill is passable this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I heard the 'slip' road coming off the south ring at Rochestown was closed earlier, does anyone know if the council have gritted it yet?
    I'm leaving from Lucan heading to Cork and I have a feeling I'll make it down the whole way only to be stranded at the slip road for Passage/Rochestown.

The_Banker wrote: »

Google aa roads and check; I think it mentioned this as impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The_Banker wrote: »

AA say it's impassable.

Thanks Lads,
    I did that earlier but sometimes AA Roadwatch isn't that accurate. Just wanted to check if any locals had driven it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

sun is out now. surely we ll have a thaw in the next hour or so . should improve conditions everywhere.

Fingers crossed!

Here is our lane.. the large open area is the crossroads.

download?mid=1%5f126926%5fALa97k0AAGC%2fTQyc%2fQ7%2fCEX0bb4&pid=1.2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

That car was clearly abandoned last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Anyone know if the no 5 and 8 buses are running from Bishopstown to the City Centre and also is the number 3 bus going up to Blackpool and if not how far is it actually going. Thanks

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nope; global warming disrupts existing norms of weather patterns.

I know...

Hench the ":pac:"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

Have to get from douglas(donnybrook)to abbeyfeale,down mallow road and then mallow to killarney road!!most im worriex bout is donnybrook hill and mallow to abbeyfeale.....anyone wit any experiance of them this morn??thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Does anyone know if the number 2 is going up to hollyhill today? Hoping they will be able to send buses up here by the time I finish work.

dazzlermac wrote: »
    Have to get from douglas(donnybrook)to abbeyfeale,down mallow road and then mallow to killarney road!!most im worriex bout is donnybrook hill and mallow to abbeyfeale.....anyone wit any experiance of them this morn??thanks:)

Iv heard of a number of accidents on Donnybrook hill this morning. 2 people were injured apparently. I'd stay well clear of it if i were you. If you start to slide you wont stop due to the incline of the hill. Its also a fairly windy hill so you're guaranteed to hit something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

just came down the donnybrook hill and had no problems, the sun is not thawing the snow though.

parts of calderwood are still un-accessible by car

and to be honest a lot of cars were abandoned by maxol->bromley area's so i'd say further up is still not passable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Has anyone driven on the M8 from outside Mitchelstown in the last few hours? Supposed to be going to Cork (Ballincollig) later, but really unsure about whether it's worth chancing it?

Advertisement