Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow report!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

anyone who saw my friend getting lifted into the ambulance last night on dbrook hill. the baba was born this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

15 year old girl killed on Frankfield Golf Course thus afternoon; sled hit a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

evilivor wrote: »
    15 year old girl killed on Frankfield Golf Course thus afternoon; sled hit a tree.

that's absolutely awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

E.T. wrote: »
    Has anyone driven on the M8 from outside Mitchelstown in the last few hours? Supposed to be going to Cork (Ballincollig) later, but really unsure about whether it's worth chancing it?

I drove from Clonmel today at about 1 o'clock, it was ok until near the toll booth at Watergrasshill, but quite bad between there and Glanmire. It was still perfectly passable at the time, but I don't know if conditions have deteriorated since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

just heard it on the wireless. on 96fm i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

tailgunner wrote: »
    I drove from Clonmel today at about 1 o'clock, it was ok until near the toll booth at Watergrasshill, but quite bad between there and Glanmire. It was still perfectly passable at the time, but I don't know if conditions have deteriorated since.

Ballincollig itself isn't great, the road right through it is pretty icy in patches and that was around lunchtime so most likely worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Anyone been near the airport recently? Meant to be flying out at 6am but just heard there was a 3 car accident on airport hill.. suggesting the road is pretty dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Anyone know how Mahon is looking at the moment? Traffic moving ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Oh for Christ sake...seven days to Christmas. Absolutely awful. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

yeah its a very sad story, :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Anyone know what road conditions are like around the city this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm in Dublin and was planning on driving to Glanmire today. Any idea what the roads are like in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

janeybabe wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin and was planning on driving to Glanmire today. Any idea what the roads are like in the area?

They are pretty bad janeybabe. Haven't ventured out of my estate but the snow that fell on Friday has frozen solid on the roads in the estate and it was snowing again this morning. As Glanmire is very hilly I would imagine that its hard to get around:( AA roadwatch reckons the roads are treacherous on the M8 between Watergrasshill and the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

Thanks for that. :) Fecking snow. :( When I was in Cork it was bad in Dublin and now that I'm in Dublin it's bad in Cork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Snowing out in ballincollig again :( feck off snow :(

janeybabe wrote: »
    Thanks for that. :) Fecking snow. :( When I was in Cork it was bad in Dublin and now that I'm in Dublin it's bad in Cork.

Other half just came back from a walk and says the roads outside the estates seem OK. We are going to try and venture out and get supplies in anyway and I will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Drove from outside Ballincollig to near Fermoy today and it was ok - driveable as long as you take it slowly. Bit wobbly on the M8 between the Glanmire turnoff and the toll plaza. It's basically down to one lane clear but there were a few people still flying past on the snow covered lane. Idiots.

The drive from Dublin to Cork was fine. The M8 is well gritted and a lot of the roads in Glanmire are too.

All the main roads seem surprisingly good, so fair dues to the council:) Roads were fine out to Mahon from Glanmire. Its just really the estates that are dodgy.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Walked to Douglas from Ballintemple this afternoon. Roads were ok though slippy around the lower roundabout on the Well Road. The dodgy bits are definitely the turns into estates.

Keep an eye on the Cork City Council website - they were giving out grit today at their depot.

• Advertisement

Some of the well-organised estates are fine too. I know of a few estates that have salt/grit and people to spread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I drove up from Killarney tonight. The N22 was pretty good most of the way, fairly bad patch around Killeen (The little café on the side of the road on the Killarney side of the county bounds) but over all the entire trip was manageable enough if you take it handy. Where the real good part of the road starts (The dual lane jobbie that takes you from ovens kind of area into the city) it was perfect. A lot of snow and ice in the hard shoulders, but the road, for the main, was clear.

In Douglas, the roundabout by McDonalds / Douglas court shopping centre was rough enough, particularly on the small little road that goes up to the East Village. The place I live, Shamrock Park (Just off donnybrook hill) was barely passible, and there was no chance of getting up the hills. (Which is great, as I live at the top of one of them =) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

do ye think we will get much more in cork worth talking about. expecting a thing to come by courier tomorrow and hope it comes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

do ye think we will get much more in cork worth talking about. expecting a thing to come by courier tomorrow and hope it comes

I hope not,Im expecting something by courier too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its gettin bad in the estates now a lot of the compressed snow had a partial thaw and refreeze so its now total black ice, with zero stopping power on it luckily i was goin slow enough to drift to a calm stop in a straight line but others arent so careful .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Hello Corkonians.
    Have to go to Blackpool shopping center from Waterford city tomorrow morning. Just want to check what the hill by Silversprings and the rest of the North Link is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

fitzeyboy. wrote: »
    Hello Corkonians.
    Have to go to Blackpool shopping center from Waterford city tomorrow morning. Just want to check what the hill by Silversprings and the rest of the North Link is like?

Better off going through town a lot of hill's the silverspring's way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Came down Donnybrook hill, Douglas village, link and model farm raod this morning - All are fine. Council have done a great job I have to say.

Still waiting on oil delivery though!:( Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

murphym7 wrote: »
    Came down Donnybrook hill, Douglas village, link and model farm raod this morning - All are fine. Council have done a great job I have to say.

Still waiting on oil delivery though!:( Doubt it.

The footpaths on Donnybrook hill are bloody slippy though, so watch out if you are walking (I decided to leave the car at home =))

• Advertisement

Boys' school is closed today and I cannot see it opening for the rest of the week:rolleyes: I was giving out last night but I supposed it is better to err on the side of caution. Don't plan on leaving the house today but like others here am expecting a few deliveries (some santy stuff and christmas presents) and am hoping I get them before Christmas!!
    Hope you do get your Oil delivery before the week is out murphym7, we were without heating for a few weeks due to the boiler packing in and it was not nice:( Hope you are managing to keep warm.

Advertisement