Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow report!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

lindtee wrote: »
    Boys' school is closed today and I cannot see it opening for the rest of the week:rolleyes: I was giving out last night but I supposed it is better to err on the side of caution. Don't plan on leaving the house today but like others here am expecting a few deliveries (some santy stuff and christmas presents) and am hoping I get them before Christmas!!
    Hope you do get your Oil delivery before the week is out murphym7, we were without heating for a few weeks due to the boiler packing in and it was not nice:( Hope you are managing to keep warm.

Thanks Lindtee - I got some fan heaters and a couple of dimplex's so castle Murphy is nice and toasty. Wallet will be cold an empty come ESB bill time though! Blew main swtich in the house and ESB Fuse over the weekend and I had an electrician and the ESB both up and job's done in 90 minutes - fair play to both of them on a Sunday with Icy roads, I was very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

murphym7 wrote: »
    Thanks Lindtee - I got some fan heaters and a couple of dimplex's so castle Murphy is nice and toasty. Wallet will be cold an empty come ESB bill time though! Blew main swtich in the house and ESB Fuse over the weekend and I had an electrician and the ESB both up and job's done in 90 minutes - fair play to both of them on a Sunday with Icy roads, I was very impressed.

im drivin the exact same route as yourself,meself tonight,leavin douglas bout 10....i shall update on my crashs from my mobile:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

any update on donnybrook hill this evening???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corkonianGirl

fitzeyboy. wrote: »
    Hello Corkonians.
    Have to go to Blackpool shopping center from Waterford city tomorrow morning. Just want to check what the hill by Silversprings and the rest of the North Link is like?

I drive the north ring road from Silversprings to Blackpool every morning and have never had a problem. The council do a brilliant job keeping the route clear. I don't know how the roads are once you turn off the main road into Blackpool - I expect that they're OK since they're so heavily trafficked - there were plenty of cars parked in the Blackpool SC car park today anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There was ice starting to form on the river in the city today. Unreal. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

SeaFields wrote: »
    There was ice starting to form on the river in the city today. Unreal. :eek:

water turning to ice in freezing weather - a shocker indeed :eek:
    nah, I get your point, pretty mad alright to see parts of the river freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

water turning to ice in freezing weather - a shocker indeed :eek:

It takes EXTREMELY low temperatures to freeze running water though... So it is a pretty big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hogzy wrote: »
    It takes EXTREMELY low temperatures to freeze running water though... So it is a pretty big deal.

ah I know, I was only being a smart little sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I researched a bit and appearently rivers themselves don't freeze. The ice on top of the surface acts as a defence mechanism for the lower river to keep moving.

Hence fish, eels etc surviving hard winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

the section of the river in bandon outside the shopping centre is totally frozen..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

my car temperature was reading -4 as i was driving out of wilton shopping centre at 5pm :eek:

i've never seen it so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Pipes frozen since yesterday here, we'll be lucky to have water for the Christmas dinner. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

...just have beer like the rest of us :p

my car temperature was reading -4 as i was driving out of wilton shopping centre at 5pm :eek:

Mine was -6 leaving Mahon Point. It was -7 on Wednesday Morning at 3AM. Id say it will easily get to -10 tonight if its at -5 at 5pm
    Dean820 wrote: »
    Pipes frozen since yesterday here, we'll be lucky to have water for the Christmas dinner. :(

Plenty of snow outside. Just melt it and boil it...and cool it........and Shake Shake, Shake Shakeee Shake ittttt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Dean820 wrote: »

same here. it's not in the house, and it's not the stopcock. which means it's under the garden, so nothing till the thaw.
    t'll be stinky this Christmas ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The pipes to my washing machine are frozen too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

Our water has stopped in the upstairs bathrooms, but its still ok downstairs. Looks like its going to be a very stinky christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I had -8.5 yesterday morning and -8 last night at around 8.

Just back from the Airport. -7.5 :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

-7 leaving work today just before 5pm. I know car thermometers aren't that accurate, but that was insanely low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

gas cooker not working... presume the gas is frozen ? any hints... microwaved christmas dinner me thinks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sideshowsue

gas cooker not working... presume the gas is frozen ? any hints... microwaved christmas dinner me thinks :rolleyes:

Our gas is messed up as well. (And yes, I've paid the bill.) Yesterday morning I found that the heating wasn't working properly--although the rads were warm, they weren't pumping out the heat like they normally do.

I rang the gas company to book a servicing for the boiler since I didn't want to be caught without any heating during this cold weather. I didn't think anything more about this (other than cursing the gremlins of central heating) until I went to make some dinner.

The flames on the hobs were super, super low. Each one, even if set on high, was very weak. I checked the meter and it's ticking over very, very slowly. I rang the gas company and they're getting some guys out from the gas network to check it out today.

So yeah, there seem to be some issues. (I'm in Cobh BTW).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

cornbb wrote: »
    -7 leaving work today just before 5pm. I know car thermometers aren't that accurate, but that was insanely low.

I've a weather station and yesterday morning it was reading -7°C and my in car thermometer was also reading -7°C so I'd say they are within 1° in the cold and over read about 3° above 20°C or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Everyone I have been talking to has frozen pipes. The brothers, my mother, friends. Pain in the hole lads. Its going to be a strange xmas around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

I had to go to Blarney for my NCT last Tuesday morning and I got -9 on the car although it fell back to -6 as I got back to the City.

Anyone know if The Lough is frozen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The_Banker wrote: »
    Anyone know if The Lough is frozen?

They are trying to keep this quite after that fella fell in last year and caused a stir. They have irrigation there now too for the algae bloom control and this helps prevent deep freezing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

gbee wrote: »
    I've a weather station and yesterday morning it was reading -7°C and my in car thermometer was also reading -7°C so I'd say they are within 1° in the cold and over read about 3° above 20°C or thereabouts.

I found that when the car has been standing in the cold for a while the readings aren't that far off but once you start moving they aren't as accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

You should leave the taps running lightly to stop the pipes from freezing over!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Don't leave the taps running. All that does is deplete the water reserves and it will cause the council to restrict water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭omerin

janeybabe wrote: »
    Don't leave the taps running. All that does is deplete the water reserves and it will cause the council to restrict water.

Sorry have to disagree with you. The last 2 cold spells I have been without water for days and am currently without. I wish I had let them run and will do when they come back. Hate the inconvenience

Advertisement