Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money and Financial Stuff

Options
  • 30-11-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Lads, apologies for spamming the Oz/NZ forum these last few days. Appreciate all the info, am still a noob trying to get my head around things. :)

Right, I went to a Vodafone shop today looking for a new blower. I was gonna take out a 24-month cap on an iphone 4. Though basically the guy was saying that chances are I wont be able to get one because I need to prove that I will be in the country for 24 months. I have a 457, though my work contract is a rolling 6 month one, i.e. it doesn't show that I wil be employed for 24 months so he was saying it probably wont get approved!. :mad:

Anyways other things then sprung to mind, Im hoping to be here for a good while to come so I had planned on buying a wee motor aswell, I take it I will have to do this for cash?. I couldn't just walk into a Holden garage and get a finance deal on a motor with a 457 right?. Can I go into say JB hifi and buy a tv over 12 months either?

Also while I don't really want a credit card, they are handy to have just in case and for interwebs type stuff. Are there also restrictions on this with a 457 visa?.

I guess what I am asking is, going forward will I have to do everything in cash?.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can get a contract phone on a 457 (show them your visa not the contract)
    You can get a credit card on a 457

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

hussey wrote: »

Cheers hussey though visa + passport wasn't enough he wanted a work contract also?. But sure I wouldn't have been able to get the 457 without a
    job?. I'll try it again tomorrow in a different store and see what the deal is, maybe I just got a shoddy rep or something.

I actually thought a cred card would be completely out of the question, thats excellent. Just handy to have it for booking flights and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Feelgood wrote: »
    Cheers hussey though visa + passport wasn't enough he wanted a work contract also?. But sure I wouldn't have been able to get the 457 without a
    job?. I'll try it again tomorrow in a different store and see what the deal is, maybe I just got a shoddy rep or something.

I actually thought a cred card would be completely out of the question, thats excellent. Just handy to have it for booking flights and the likes.

i use my standard commonwealth card that was issued when i opened my account as a "credit card" , you just need cash in your account to make purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

You can get a credit card on a 457, you can get a Visa/Mastercard Debit by just applying but if you want the credit facility just apply online through CBA or whoever you are with. I got one within 5 days.

Granted I have been working here since January of this year so it was a solid 8 months working when I applied and got a pretty high Credit Limit too - ($5000+) :eek:

Also, in relation to the iPhone...you just need to reach the 100 Points they require which will include your Passport, Utility Bill showing address, Bank Card and I also had a NSW Photo ID ($45 in the RTA) at the time or a NSW Licence will suffice.

Honestly mate, sometimes they are just being lazy f*cks so I would just go in with all the above and they cannot refuse you once you have the Visa also and once you pass the credit check which basically is to ensure you dont have a bad credit history in Australia and may take a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I got car finance on 457 through dealer. It wasn't cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    You can get a credit card on a 457
    You can get a contract phone on a WHV
    You can get a credit card on a WHV
    daftdave wrote: »
    i use my standard commonwealth card that was issued when i opened my account as a "credit card" , you just need cash in your account to make purchases
    That's a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Mellor wrote: »
    You can get a contract phone on a WHV
    You can get a credit card on a WHV

Seriously?! How do you know this or have you seen it?

Didn't think they (phone companies) would give it to anyone on a WHV, especially Vodafone, they are pretty tight on their requirements to get a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I had a $5000 CBA credit card and a Three mobile contract phone while on WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Seriously?! How do you know this or have you seen it?

Didn't think they (phone companies) would give it to anyone on a WHV, especially Vodafone, they are pretty tight on their requirements to get a contract
    He's right, OP just got unlucky. I got a 24 month Telstra contract while on a bridging visa, no less. They didn't check it. It helped that I had a VIC driver's license so no need to show passport at all.

Advertisement