Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Modern Football Player and Their Inability To Take A Corner...

• 30-11-2010 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Whats happened in the last few years which prevents a most professional football players from being inable to hit a corner correctly. i.e. not into the first man at the six yard box?

As a liverpool supporter the obvious example for me would be Stevie G but I see this most times I watch a Premier League match. It pretty infuriating to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Throw ins have replaced corners for attacking threat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How Gerrard is still taking Liverpool's corners is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I think it's to do with the increased athleticism of the players, defenders and goal keepers can jump much higher nowadays than they used be able to 10, 20 years ago. To combat this attackers are trying to get the ball into the box with much more pace than they used to to prevent the defenders getting a running jump at it. And the more pace you put on the ball the less height you can get on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

This is not exclusive to the last few years.

They could get the ball past the first man every time if they wanted to, getting it past the first man is not the problem.

Getting the ball into a dangerous area away from the goal keeper but close enough to be "dangeerous" AND past the first man, this is the hard part. The first man tends to stand on the line you need to take for a decent cross.

It's a bit like landing on the wrong side of a ball in snooker, the pot is not the problem, but coming around off 3 cushions with a load of side will cause you to miss the shot more times than not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

short corners are the way forward, always worked in pes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

what ntl said.

it's got absolutely nothing to do with being useless, or any sort of inability.

for corners to create the maximum danger possible, the taker needs to get speed, bend, whip and accuracy on the ball. it's incredibly difficult.

the answer really is that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

SlickRic wrote: »
    what ntl said.

it's got absolutely nothing to do with being useless, or any sort of inability.

for corners to create the maximum danger possible, the taker needs to get speed, bend, whip and accuracy on the ball. it's incredibly difficult.

the answer really is that simple.

I dig that but what I dont get if the same player continually messes them up then why do they persist in taking them (stevie G I'm looking at you.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

From a liverpool perspective I dont actually know why Gerrard takes them. He's a decent headerer(is that a word?!) of the ball and he has a great shot on him.

He should be on the edge of the box or in the box.

I find it very frustrating though to get the corner in the first place, have everyone come up from the back, and have it hammer into the first man of the opposing team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

From a liverpool perspective I dont actually know why Gerrard takes them. He's a decent headerer(is that a word?!) of the ball and he has a great shot on him.

Header is the word you're looking for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I'd love to see the stats of goals scored from corners nowadays compared to the Steve Bruce days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

United's corners have been gash for years. Nani's inability to clear the first man from frees and corners is turning my hair slowly grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Gerrard definitely shouldnt be taking Liverpools corners as on average over the past many season he has been average at them...BUT - I must say Gerrards delivery this season has been excellent, generally speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

flahavaj wrote: »
    United's corners have been gash for years. Nani's inability to clear the first man from frees and corners is turning my hair slowly grey.

Spot on.

Who was taking Madrids corners last night....Ozil I think? He must have had 3 in the 1st half that were, well.....Nani standard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Nani's the first person that I thought of when I read the thread title, he tries to harder to geet the perfect corner, imo. With Vidic and Rooney in the box and Scholes outside it he should just go for a simple enough one, cos it'll work a lot better than trying to knock out the first defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Should this title not be "English players and their inability to take a corner"?

There is a far bigger world out there than the English Premier Division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Should this title not be "English players and their inability to take a corner"?

Ozil was mentioned in the thread, he's German and plays in Spain and Nani was also mentioned and he's from Portugal. But please, don't let that stop you.

The best way to overcome this rather random criticism would be to contribute with examples of players outside England that don't take corners well, surely, rather than just posting your grievance just for the sake of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No. It shouldn't. As it's not centralised on English players in any way. They were just the previously given examples. You've been warned about this 'im a real fan raa raa' bullshít before. Grow up.

Frisbee wrote: »
    No. It shouldn't. As it's not centralised on English players in any way. They were just the previously given examples. You've been warned about this 'im a real fan raa raa' bullshít before. Grow up.

The OP started with "Im a Liverpool fan and Gerrard can't take corners, therefore there is a problem in the game with corner takers"

Its specious logic and I'm entitled to call him on it. Just because his team cannot do the basics does not mean all teams cannot do the basics.

The OP started with "Im a Liverpool fan and Gerrard can't take corners, therefore there is a problem in the game with corner takers"

Its specious logic and I'm entitled to call him on it. Just because his team cannot do the basics does not mean all teams cannot do the basics.

Thats not what he said at all.

• Advertisement

The best way to overcome this rather random criticism would be to contribute with examples of players outside England that don't take corners well, surely, rather than just posting your grievance just for the sake of it?

But I don't think there is a problem with players not being able to take corners well. Problems at one mid table English side is not a generic issue in the game.

My issue is taking a lack of skill in one player and extrapolating out that the entire sport has an skill defecit. Its nonsense.

But I don't think there is a problem with players not being able to take corners well. Problems at one mid table English side is not a generic issue in the game.

My issue is taking a lack of skill in one player and extrapolating out that the entire sport has an skill defecit. Its nonsense.

Its how I read it.

Like all tactics, its evolving. Italians have gone short for years, Spanish sides mix it up, English sides always whip it in. Just because one English side has a player who takes the ball and does nothing with it means nothing other than he should be replaced as corner taker.

Its how I read it.

Like all tactics, its evolving. Italians have gone short for years, Spanish sides mix it up, English sides always whip it in. Just because one English side has a player who takes the ball and does nothing with it means nothing other than he should be replaced as corner taker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Ashley Young used to have lethal delivery from corners, he just stick it high into the danger zone and the big men from the back would take care of the rest but for the last year or so he's been going for these powerful low trajectory ones that have been utterly rubbish, half the time going into the first man or out of play. I can't imagine this isn't a decision made on the training ground as opposed to the player suddenly being unable to hit a fairly simple ball.

Its exactly what he said. Gerrard is crap at taking corners, therefore there is an issue with all modern players taking corners.

Its textbook specious reasoning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

OhNoYouDidn't. Seriously. I'd advise you to quit while you're ahead. All you're doing now is attempting (badly) to cover up your failed attempt at inciting a 'real fan -v- barstooler' debate. Which seems to be the only thing you come on this forum for.

Also, remember, one more strike and you're perma-banned, so behave yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Bring back Beckham!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

They are not practicing hard enough. They probably spend a few minutes in training or after training kicking a ball into the box without thinking about what they are doing. If Dan Carter can hit a rugby ball between the posts, at any angle from 40 yards out every single time then a footballer should be able to cross a ball. Footballers dont understand the mechanics of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think this sums up the problem with the debate about corners. Nani's inability to beat the first man can be incredibly annoying. The thing is though, when he does beat the first man, there's a great chance at a goal. I remember before Nani came to Untied and the balls that went in were mostly from Giggs. They always beat the first man, but they never lead to goals. Nani's first season led to about 7 or 8 goals as I recall from corners. While Nani's corners have dropped off, I couldnt give a **** about beating the first man. I just want to know the percentage rates of goals that result from people taking corners, and I'd wager most managers do too.

Advertisement