Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNHELPFUL AND OFF TOPIC POSTING WILL GET YOU BANNED FROM THIS FORUM.

Options
  • 30-11-2010 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Well once again I have been reading through a tread and this moderator warning pops in, and once again I am finding myself at loss to see a post that necessitates this warning. Am I missing something? None of the posts seem to be edited by said mod, have they been deleted? Now I wasnt taling part in this tread had only just started to read it but I reread all the replies just to see was there something and I couldnt see anything.
    I have not been subjected to any of these warnings (yet) but I have noticed with this particular mod that they seem to just wade in sometimes naming the people they have a problem with other times closing the tread when its getting interesting, and a lot of the time I really cant see a problem. I understand that certain forums need more moderating than others, and believe me I have seen plenty of occasions when it is needed, but there is one forum where one moderator is very zealous to say the least. Does anyone moderate the moderators, is our only option to just put up and shut up or if we raise a concern will we be listened to?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours to Feedback.
    Can you refer to particular posts? Links?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The Coastguard take care of the moderators. You'll fnid them in the Feedback forum.

edit: ninja'd! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi guys thanks, biko I wont refer to anyone because I use that forum a lot and I dont want to add my name to hit list, even though this post may have done that for me:). Anyway I now know where to go should I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In general, the mods moderate the users and the admins mod the moderators.
    No-one mods the admins up there on Mount Olympus.
    Mods also mod each other, it's not like we're a secret club. If a mod from another forum acts up in my forums s/he's just as likely to get banned as a user.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

astra2000 wrote: »
    Well once again I have been reading through a tread and this moderator warning pops in, and once again I am finding myself at loss to see a post that necessitates this warning. Am I missing something? None of the posts seem to be edited by said mod, have they been deleted? Now I wasnt taling part in this tread had only just started to read it but I reread all the replies just to see was there something and I couldnt see anything.
    I have not been subjected to any of these warnings (yet) but I have noticed with this particular mod that they seem to just wade in sometimes naming the people they have a problem with other times closing the tread when its getting interesting, and a lot of the time I really cant see a problem.
    You're talking about the Personal Issues forum. It's not a forum for discussion, really. Posts which are not a direct response to the first post in the thread or which are not directly relevant to the thread, will get a warning like this one. Threads which have turned into a discussion not involving the original poster will usually end up locked, regardless of how interesting they may or may not be.

This is contrasted by the likes of After Hours where a discussion about a news article about the size of Indian mens' penises, will get a response like, "Penis, LOL", and this is an appropriate response for After Hours.

The tone, content and intention of most forums differ in one way or another, but Personal Issues is expressly different in that it's a forum for posting problems and obtaining explicit solutions and advice. Whereas in most other forums, a large amount of discussion and joking about the topic is acceptable, in Personal Issues it is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

biko wrote: »
    Mods also mod each other, it's not like we're a secret club.

In the same way that scientology isn't a cult

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

astra2000 wrote: »
    Am I missing something?

If the warning is there and you can't see why, then yes, it's possible you are.
    have they been deleted?

Possibly.
    I have noticed with this particular mod that they seem to just wade in sometimes naming the people they have a problem with other times closing the tread when its getting interesting, and a lot of the time I really cant see a problem.

If you do not understand their reason, drop a PM and ask.
    but there is one forum where one moderator is very zealous to say the least.

If you are talking about PI, then that forum has zero tolerance with regards to off topic.
    There are very good reasons for this approach.
    Does anyone moderate the moderators

The CMods and Admins.
    is our only option to just put up and shut up or if we raise a concern will we be listened to?

If you have a problem with a Mod, please use the Dispute Resolution Forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement