Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat24 animation loop - nice cloud/terrain interaction features

Options
  • 30-11-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Today's sat24 loop of hte visible cloud, it's got lovely cloud streets or lake effect streamers across hte North Sea, the Baltic Sea and the Irish Sea. There is a really well defined orographic shadow across the Carpathians in Romania.

Here's a pooly annotated pic, but take a look and see the cloud movement.
    sat24.com.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

That's pretty fantastic, it looks like textbook stuff. Must save a .gif of it for presentation purposes..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The "mountain shadow" is in fact caused by cloud above cloud. Lovely image BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The orographic shadow cast by the Romanian mountains, it's pretty obvious that the water in it has gone onto the mountains and there isn't enough water vapour left to rebuild the clouds after the air flows back down the eastern side.
    It's interesting that the higher-level cloud persists across the mountain range - shows that it's unlikely to be a source of precipitation?

The cloud streets are pretty cool though.
    Look at the lakes in Central Sweden - the cloud plumes coming off the surface heading to the southwest - fairly good chance of a lot of snow under that.

I'm saving the days' .jpgs at the moment, I'll do up the animation later tonight I think.

Advertisement