Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowboard and Bindings

• 30-11-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have all the gear apart from the board and bindings, and was wondering should I go ahead and buy a board and bindings or just save my money and rent a board out there?

This will be my 5th time i think on the slopes, and will definately go again. The reason I havent purchased a board before now, was mainly due to the fact that I will have to purchase a travel bag, pay the extra shipping cost for the plane, and obvioulsy the cost of the board and bindings themselves....which seems to be fairly expensive from what i've seen in the Irish market.

Being honest, I would love to have my own board but I am unsure if it is actually worth it, anyone care to comment??

Also, could anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much a board and bindings would cost??? Dont want to spend a fortune but would like something half decent. Any info on where does good deals or any websites I should czech out, that would be cool too!

Cheers,

Conrad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

When I bought my last board I got it in great outdoors. If you ask if they have any of last season's gear left, you can pick up a real bargain.

Other people here have used blue-tomato.com in the past I think. I've never used them myself, so can't comment on service etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I got mine a few years back on twoseasons.co.uk. Sterling rate was v good and they gave me a great deal because I bought a few things. Good service as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8 c0nrad

How much are we talking here, what make did ye get for that price?

thanks for input by the way guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

I got a forum board and burton bindings for about 350 2 years ago in The outdoor adventure centre, it was a end of season sale... I think it was around feb when I bought them.. Not too sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

c0nrad wrote: »
    How much are we talking here, what make did ye get for that price?

thanks for input by the way guys!

I got a previous season Burton Jussi board and Burton Cartel bindings for around €350 or €360, something like that. I can't remember exactly. Wasn't actually looking to buy a board that particular day (but was broadly looking to get a new one) and didn't expect them to come anywhere near online prices. When the guy offered me the deal, I went to an internet cafe, looked up the kit and it was that good! Got cash and went back to get it! Also got a bag for half price (€25 instead of €50) so try to cut a deal including that. This was in november/december to the best of my memory.

In my opinion, having your own board definitely is worth it, the rentals I've seen some friends use are very beaten up and the edges are never as sharp as mine and the bases are nowhere near as fast. This was Andorra mainly, so other places might be different, but I would still prefer my own. It's so much nicer riding with your own gear...except for when there are impatient ass-holes in lift queues who insist on putting their skis on the board!!

Best advice is to go and ask about previous season gear. You'll probably want to keep it for a couple of years anyway so if it's 1 year out of date it's no biggie. It will be almost identical on the inside to the current season model, as the tech changes relatively little from season to season on most models, with the graphics being the main difference. Oh, and don't just pick the one with the best graphic! I wasn't mad on mine when I got it, but it grew on me once I felt how good the board was!

• Advertisement
Advertisement