Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a dog

Options
  • 30-11-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Folks I am looking to get a dog for my uncle as he lives alone and would welcome a companion as his last dog was unfortunately knocked down by a van last spring and I have been trying to get him one this past few months and he is lonely these long winter evenings on his own as he has always had a dog around the house.

I have tried the dog shelter in Letterkenny many times as I thought it would be a nice thing to rescue a dog but they have nothing that would suit, I have also tried all the other shelters in the county but they have nothing but cats!

If someone out there who has a dog (not a pup) that is in need of a good home could they send me a PM the dog would be very well looked after and you would be making a old man very happy, I am using this message board as a last resort as I have tried every other avenue (including The Dealer).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Ring around some of the vets, people are always bringing in dogs to be put to sleep for no reason other than they're sick of the dog, and most vets would rather see the dog in a home than put to sleep. Where abouts are you in donegal? Have you tried donegal pet rescue? There's leitrim animal welfare in drumkeerin as well, if you look at their website they have loads of dogs for re-homing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nicoladuff

Hi there,

I am from Letterkenny and had problems finding a cat to adopt, the rainbow rehoming centre in derry was recommended by a friend, I could not recommend the centre highly enough, they have lots of dogs and cats that need adopting, they have all animals checked out with the vet and have up to date vacs done for them. They will need to do a home check though if you are going to adopt a dog...their details are here: http://www.rainbowrehoming.com/adopt/dogs_line1.htm - best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

dee o gee wrote: »
    Ring around some of the vets, people are always bringing in dogs to be put to sleep for no reason other than they're sick of the dog, and most vets would rather see the dog in a home than put to sleep. Where abouts are you in donegal? Have you tried donegal pet rescue? There's leitrim animal welfare in drumkeerin as well, if you look at their website they have loads of dogs for re-homing.
    I am in south west Donegal in past Killybegs I have tried Donegal Rescue but I will also try that place in Letrim as well, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

These guys are prob a bit far away for you, but they may have someone coming up this way...

http://www.adogslife.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=106

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

OP

Please do this sensibly. It's not just about your uncle, it's also about the animal. Take your time and look for an animal that will suit your uncle and visa versa.

1. Look for an animal that will not run away so preferably female.
    2. Look for an animal that is already house trained.
    3. Look for an animal with a good temperament
    4. Consider whether molting will be an issue, if so go for an animal that does not molt.

If you can follow these simple guidelines, you end up with a mutual relationship that is easy, they'll bond quickly and be mutually beneficial to one another.

Some links
    irishdogs.ie
    ispca.ie

All these sites have forums, register and post your specific requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

the dealer is another place there is alot of dogs for sale in and free to good home , sorry to hear the last one got knocked down its a terrible thing to lose a pet like that its so easy to get attached to them and think of them as part of the family

Advertisement